Popular Tags: [View All]
Johan Grimm
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy all!

Finally got my copy of Dune (big thanks to Andrew Tullsen!) and it hit the table today. Yup, just as awesome as I remember it from oh so long ago...

Anyways, I'm in the process of reviewing the rule discussions here on the Geek to answer many of the myriad of questions we had in our first game, but I have a couple I'd love to get direct answers on. So...

1) Co-Existence: I know there is a lot of discussion about this ability but our main question was when can the Bene Gesserit declare co-existing troops turn into combat troops?

From reviewing the rules it seems like they may only do it in one of two situations: 1. At the beginning of the Movement phase AND 2. Whenever they are the only troops remaining in a territory.

Is that it?

2) Trading Cards. This was a the big one. Can players trade treachery cards? Allies only? Anyone? Any time? What are the rules regarding trading Treachery cards?

3) Spice: We got a little confused about spice blows because certain things in the rulebook contradicted each other. Does the spice that was placed remain until collected or wiped out by the storm? In the rulebook it made it sound like every time there was a new spice blow spice was placed on those locations and removed from the locations in the previous turn...

4) Stone Burner: Wow! In our game the Guild player picked up the burner in the second turn and pretty much won every single fight she was in after that. I see that the general consensus here is to omit the card, but it is really thematic (and straight out of the books) and I like its' power. It just seems too powerful to consistently be able to use.

My inclination is to make it a one-time weapon that must be discarded no matter the outcome of the battle. Anyone tried this?

5) Leader Revivals: Our understanding is that you can only revive leaders once you have lost all of them to the tanks. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Schep
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) yes
2) no
3) Spice only get removed when either harvested by a player, eaten by a worm or swallowed by the storm.
4) Got no experience with the card.
5) All leaders go to the tanks face down, when all of them are there you turn them face up. You can only revive face up leaders.

This is probably one of the best updated rulebooks:

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/92555/consolidated-dune-ru...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Disgustipater
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) I'm fairly certain only the first situation applies. The second situation is not a valid time to leave coexistence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom tom
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Disgustipater: the BG can only declare territories in coexistence at the beginning of the movement phase.

As for the rest, I'm with Valandor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can start reviving leaders when you no longer have any available. They don't all have to be killed and in the tanks. Say you have lost a battle to the Harkonnen early in the game, and he took a leader from you. If your other 4 leaders are in the tanks, but Hark has yet to use your fifth, taken leader, you may begin reviving the 4 leaders in the tanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) There are a lot of holes and inconsistencies in the Coexistence rules as written. I chose to rule that once you declare coexistence in a territory, it can never flip back to non-coexistence until the next game turn. (That prevents the BG from being able to ever control the territory if they chose to avoid fighting for it.) On the other hand, you can choose to flip from non-coexistence to coexistence at any point when tokens are added to the territory.

2) The ONLY time treachery cards can be exchanged is via the Harkonnen's special Karama power. (The Harkonnen can play a Karama to force a trade of any number of cards between his hand and one other player's hand. Very, very powerful!!)

3) Spice is only removed from the board when a) it is collected, b) a worm appears in the space, or c) the storm blows over the space.

4) Stone Burner is an unofficial variant card that not part of the original publication. (I guess it may have been included in the French edition?) Originally, it was a fan-expansion card published in a magazine (sorry, I forget the reference.) I don't even like to play with the official variant cards that came in the AH expansions, much less the unofficial fan variants, but that's just my opinion.

5) As stated above, you can start to revive leaders if you don't have any available, due to death and/or capture. (I like the suggestion above to indicate which leaders can be revived by flipping them over. Because if you do happen to get a leader killed a second time, you can't revive him again until your leaders have all been revived and killed a second time.) However, note that the Ghola card (and the Emperor's special Karama ability) can be used to revive a leader regardless of whether they've all been killed or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
There are a lot of variations of the Dune rules out there. Even among officially published versions of the game, the rules don't always agree. So, just keep that in mind.

AzureLion wrote:

1) Co-Existence: I know there is a lot of discussion about this ability but our main question was when can the Bene Gesserit declare co-existing troops turn into combat troops?

By the rules we play with, the only time BG can come out of co-existence is at the start of the movement round. Coming out is also technically the default, unless BG says this group is staying in co-existence.

BG can choose to run away from fights all the time, but in doing so they sacrifice the chance at controlling strategic territories until next turn, minimum.

AzureLion wrote:

4) Stone Burner: Wow! In our game the Guild player picked up the burner in the second turn and pretty much won every single fight she was in after that. I see that the general consensus here is to omit the card, but it is really thematic (and straight out of the books) and I like its' power. It just seems too powerful to consistently be able to use.

My inclination is to make it a one-time weapon that must be discarded no matter the outcome of the battle. Anyone tried this?

In the rules I'm familiar with, the card must be discarded after use. It's powerful, but as a one-shot, not overwhelmingly so in our experience.

The fact that it also kills your own leader (sans Shield) helps balance it, too.

I don't know if that's how the card was originally published or not, but that's the way it works from the source I got it from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.