Subject: Archer Orions Tears Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geoff David
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
If I use the action Orions Tears and have 3 arrows in my quiver, do I get three extra dice or just three attacks. I have been playing as 3 attacks only and not any extra D10. Correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vance VanGogh
United States
Troy
MI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct as far as I can tell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Russell
msg tools
Pretty sure you make one roll, and can basically affect as many targets as you have arrows. Treat it like an AOE attack, but the area is any targets in your weapon's range, and affecting as many targets as the number of arrows you fire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Steward
Canada
flag msg tools
You roll once and then you can make the attacks, one per arrow. The attacks can be on multiple targets or the same target. Make sure you watch when targetting multiple target types as youll need 1 success for each type.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remi Bureau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gdavid wrote:
If I use the action Orions Tears and have 3 arrows in my quiver, do I get three extra dice or just three attacks. I have been playing as 3 attacks only and not any extra D10. Correct?

Joshua is correct, you decide how many arrows you'll use (how many targets), then specify those targets (they don't have to be adjacent).

This will tell you what TN to aim for (and if you have more than one TN to achieve). You then collect your dice pool and roll once, assigning one die to each TN for the attack.

Let's say you have 4 arrows in your quiver, and 2 grubbers and their lair within range and LoS. You decide how many arrow you'll use (let's say 3), target the 2 grubbers (TN 5) and the lair (TN 3). You collect your dice pool, let's say you have 2 dice. You roll once, a 6 and a 2. You then assign one die to each TN, so basically, you either kill the 2 grubbers (6 >= TN5) or do one damage to the lair (6 >= TN2). The die with the 2 doesn't do anything for you.

If you had rolled a 5 and a 4, then you could have killed the 2 grubbers (5 >= TN5) and do one damage to the lair (4 >= TN3).

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RemiBureau wrote:
gdavid wrote:

Joshua is correct, you decide how many arrows you'll use (how many targets), then specify those targets (they don't have to be adjacent).

This will tell you what TN to aim for (and if you have more than one TN to achieve). You then collect your dice pool and roll once, assigning one die to each TN for the attack.

Let's say you have 4 arrows in your quiver, and 2 grubbers and their lair within range and LoS. You decide how many arrow you'll use (let's say 3), target the 2 grubbers (TN 5) and the lair (TN 3). You collect your dice pool, let's say you have 2 dice. You roll once, a 6 and a 2. You then assign one die to each TN, so basically, you either kill the 2 grubbers (6 >= TN5) or do one damage to the lair (6 >= TN2). The die with the 2 doesn't do anything for you.

If you had rolled a 5 and a 4, then you could have killed the 2 grubbers (5 >= TN5) and do one damage to the lair (4 >= TN3).

Hope this helps!

Just an additional note:

you can also target one target with multiple arrows, or even split them up,......

Buffing this attack to increase the damage with say "Vision of the Mark" or from a card from another player also increases the damage of each and every arrow.

So you could fire all four arrows at one target and do 4 DMG,... or maybe even 8 DMG,.... or more. I think it's one of the most powerful cards in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remi Bureau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right, Orion's Tears is indeed very strong, and it's a good thing it's a "slower" card then other AoE cards. What I mean by slower is that you must build up to it's full potential by storing arrows in the quiver in previous cycles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Bullseye
United States
Brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is completely NOT how we interpreted it, based on the card, rulebook, and the Deck Reference.

Let's say you have four arrows in your quiver, and you roll 2d10+FD. Does that mean that Orion's Tears can only hit at most two targets? Or does it mean that you can compare the two dice to each target and see if it hits? So (assuming you have all targets with the same TN) you will hit all four, or none?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Steward
Canada
flag msg tools
KnobDoctor wrote:
This is completely NOT how we interpreted it, based on the card, rulebook, and the Deck Reference.

Let's say you have four arrows in your quiver, and you roll 2d10+FD. Does that mean that Orion's Tears can only hit at most two targets? Or does it mean that you can compare the two dice to each target and see if it hits? So (assuming you have all targets with the same TN) you will hit all four, or none?

Most attacks in myth are an all or nothing thing. You roll D10 to succeed and more d10s make the attack more likely to succeed but not more powerful. If you roll a success you gain the full amount of the attack regardless of successes

There are, however attacks (mostly on the more powerful monsters) that do dmg based on # of successes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Endevor Rovedne
France
le pré saint gervais
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
KnobDoctor wrote:

It is the same rule for all AOE attacks, you need only 1 dice that match a given TN to succed on all targets with this TN.

You a targetting for example 3 monsters with TN4 (they can be of the same species or not we don't care) a TN5 and a TN6, lets say you roll a 4 and a 6 with you 2 dice, you can either hit the 3 monster n°1 and the monster number 3 or the 3 number 1 and number 2, your choice. You "spend" the dice when you assign it to a TN value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Russell
msg tools
While I agree that you can hit the same target more than once (based on creator comments), the way the card reads doesnt make it sound like you can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Russell
msg tools
KnobDoctor wrote:

If you're targeting monsters all with the same TN, then it only takes 1d10 to hit them all. So long as that D10 meets or exceeds their TN. Now, lets say you are targeting 3 mobs with a TN of 4 and a captain with a TN of 5. You're going to need at least 2d10 in order to have a chance to hit both, because you have to roll a 4+ to hit the 3 mobs with a TN of 4, and you need to roll a separate 5+ to hit the captain.

If you were attacking those same 3 mobs with a TN of 4, the captain with a TN of 5, and another captain with a TN of 6, you would need at least 3d10 to have a chance to hit all 3 (and so on).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Bullseye
United States
Brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is different from how Remi interpreted Blood of Gaia in this thread: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/15212111. I would think they would follow a similar mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Scaggs
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the same.

Each enemy with the same TN is grouped together. You need 1d10 to meet/exceed each individual group's TN.

So if you have a group of 4 that have a TN of 5, one D10>=5 will kill them all.

If you have two different enemies (one TN4 and the other TN5) you would need a D10>=4 and a D10>=5 in order to kill both groups.

Edit: I believe the information in my post above may be incorrect in regards to OT. Sorry for the misinformation.

E2: OT requires an arrow for each enemyTN whereas the other AOE's target certain tiles. OT allows the attack to hit the same enemy multiple times where the tile AOEs do not. In the case of OT, you'll need to meet/exceed the TN for each enemyTN up to the number of Ammo used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remi Bureau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Using OT, if you send 4 arrows at the same target, you only need one die to meet ir exceed that monsters TN

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Scaggs
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds good! Makes it that much easier to hit things of similar TN.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.