Subject: Orleans Game Group - Thursday, March 20th 2014 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Beetham
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
Why why why didn't I set up a RRGSP! (Registered Retired Gamer Saving Plan)
badge
So many games.... so little time...
mbmbmbmbmb
The next session of the Orleans Game Group will be held on Thursday March 20th, 2014!

Bring your new games, or knock the dust off of some of your old ones! laugh

We usually start just after 6:30 and go 'til about 10:00pm.

The address is: The Canadian Legion, Branch 632 - Orleans, 800 Taylor Creek Road.

We meet upstairs. There is a bar and snacks and now hot food is also sometimes available so please don't bring in something from outside.

You should also bring $2.00 as a donation for the Legion.

Also, please thumb up this post to move it to the boardgamegeek front page to attract more gamers and tell your friends to come out and play!

Please note that hats are not allowed in the Legion and that one must dress and act respectfully.

You can see our schedule as well as other local gamers nights via the Ottawa Area Gamers Guild's Calendar on BGG - click here -> http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/199

We are also listed on the Ottawa Geek Social Club! http://www.meetup.com/ottawa-geek-social-club/events/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darcy Hartwick
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be there this week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Kieswetter
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darcy Hartwick
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well - we'll see what the snow outside looks like in two hours, if its blowing down like it is now I may opt to stay off the roads tonight :o

Happy first day of spring!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C
msg tools
Hey folks,

James here (the new one). Thanks for a great night!

Looking forward to coming back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Chapple
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Welcome James. It was good to have you out. Gonna go creep your game list now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C
msg tools
Likewise. Creeping game list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Beetham
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
Why why why didn't I set up a RRGSP! (Registered Retired Gamer Saving Plan)
badge
So many games.... so little time...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok - I'll start whistle

I noticed we had 4 tables going at one time - so is it safe to assume 16 people? Sorry I didn't count them this week blush

At my table we started off with Catan which was so much fun that we played it again laugh

That was followed by a not so successful round of Hanabi - I think we set a new record for the lowest score.... 5 soblue

And then we closed the night with a couple rounds of Coup which was quite fun cool

I know there were other tables playing games - I recall Rattus was in play again along with one or two expansions included....

So what else gang? Next! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C
msg tools
Rattus was a great experience. Would absolutely play it again. Everyone seemed to enjoy it. I believe it was a really tight game too.

We then broke out Takenoko and while it's elegant, it didn't do much for me.

Great night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Jones
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I was in in the Rattus game - then moved over to a couple games of Taluva
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darcy Hartwick
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
little late to the party but my table played innovation, ra, and renaissance man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Kieswetter
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
James (The Sequel), welcome to the forums. It was nice to meet you and fun to play with you. I am now going to check out your games list!
After your VERY enthusiastic pitch for Galaxy Trucker, I really want to try it out

Rattus is my new favorite game! I love that I had the opportunity to play it 3 times in back-to-back weeks (one of those times with the Rattus: Africanus expansion. Thanks so much to Jamie for bringing it to the Legion.
The scoring is always so tight and I haven't won yet, but that is even more reason to keep on trying.
I have already purchased my own copy as I really feel that I will get a lot of play out of it. Now I just have to debate how many of the expansions I want to hunt down

As mentioned a few posts above, Takenoko hit the table and I do unabashedly love the aesthetic of the game and dig the gameplay a lot. Our game came down to a 1 point difference between first and second. It was not loved by all the 4 people playing but I really enjoyed it. I am making lots of efforts to hone my teaching skills, so I am always appreciative when I get feedback from fellow players. This article I recently came across is helpful and might be of interest to you all: http://boardsandbarley.com/2014/02/28/how-to-teach-games/

BTW - if anyone is interested in snagging a copy of Alhambra, the Chapters near SilverCity has a couple copies in stock and it is marked down to $31.50. I did a little research and this is on par with online pricing (minus the shipping of course), so it is a decent enough deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darcy Hartwick
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That article is pretty much bang-on with the best way to teach games. Knowing the objective up front is key followed by how to basically achieve that objective.

E.g. Ra: objective to get most points, get points by collecting tiles, get tiles by winning auctions.

E.g. Innovation: objective to get 3 dominations, get dominations by acquiring enough influence to "dominate" - get influence by playing cards that say "score".

E.g. Colosseum: objective to get the most points, get points by putting on the "best show", improve your show by x, y, and z.

Then you basically go through how a turn works, and any nuances that are important (e.g. highest/lowest coins being worth points at end of ra; no auction on last red guy).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Chapple
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That was a good article, Stephen. Hopefully, i'll be a better teacher for having read it. I really enjoyed the way Takenoko played, but the ultra cutsey theme is hard for me to swallow. If i'm playing the game with kids...okay. If i'm sitting around playing with a bunch of grown men...not as okay for me. Lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darcy Hartwick
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like 4 grown men playing love letter together? lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Jones
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
CHAOS i AM wrote:
That was a good article, Stephen. Hopefully, i'll be a better teacher for having read it. I really enjoyed the way Takenoko played, but the ultra cutsey theme is hard for me to swallow. If i'm playing the game with kids...okay. If i'm sitting around playing with a bunch of grown men...not as okay for me. Lol

Apparently I need to bring Loopin' Louie to the legion whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Chapple
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
aitrus wrote:
Like 4 grown men playing love letter together? lol

Brutal... We were playing Death Letter!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Chapple
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
madhattersneverland wrote:
CHAOS i AM wrote:

Apparently I need to bring Loopin' Louie to the legion whistle

Theme-wise it would seem preferable. The colour palette used in Takenoko is meant to appeal to a female audience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.