Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to ask on facebook about the best social media/database website for books but then I realized, really I want the real badass powerusers of social media to point me in the right direction and that means asking it here!.

So yeah...what y'all recommend?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trace
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Why not utilise something you are already paying for?

you local library
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
Look to the past and learn for the future.
badge
World Cup time!!!! All work in the morning will include the tv being on Fox or Telemundo. :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't this what goodreads does?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
What specifically are you looking for? a book for your ?year old kid?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joose wrote:

Why not utilise something you are already paying for?

you local library

DUh. The library system here is surprisingly generous so yes I'm using it to the hilt. Ain't gonna be buying a bunch of kids books on spec!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeRm! wrote:
Isn't this what goodreads does?

Yeah that was my first guess, its been a few years since I used that site so I was curious if another database / social media site has overtaken it since. I guess not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil of Mars wrote:
What specifically are you looking for? a book for your ?year old kid?

I guess basically if Goodreads or some other website is the best for logging "reads" of a book, kind of like how you can log plays of a game here on the 'geek.

I noticed Amazon has a "collection" feature but I haven't dug into it too deeply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holder
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LibraryThing has the best database in my opinion, in regards to books and data about the books.

Goodreads had the best social, including reviews (friends featured first), recommendations and the like. (Probably because it has a facebook plugin to help build your network of friends who read.)

I use the former to track my library, and the latter to track what I am reading and write reviews and read reviews and get recommends.

To specifically get Children's book recommends, Goodreads lets you put stuff you like on a 'shelf' and then get recommendations based on that specific 'shelf' -- and you can then go read reviews of what was suggested. Set up a shelf with some children's books you've liked, and then check out the recommends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.