Subject: How I learned to Play Myth using the Rulebook, BGG and YouTube rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geoff David
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
(edit: I changed the title of this post. It was not meant to be tongue in check but some took it that way. The Rule book does give you what you need to play. All it really is missing is a walk through of step by step start up and basic play. I found that type of info in YouTube. BGG forums are a great resource)

I can relate to all the complaining about the rules. The first time reading them I was overwhelmed. BUT...being a Warhammer 40K player these rules are cake!! laugh

Ok..I know.. "I bought a board game not 40K with it's library of rule books."

Just chill a minute. This game is worth the time investment to learn. The Rules are what they are so move on and learn the game. And it is not that difficult if you go about it the correct way.

Here are the steps I took and was playing a practice game very quickly.
Don't expect to play with all the rules the first time through. Keep it very simple. This is true with any game of this magnitude.

(edit: removed comments people are getting upset about. I apologize.) I am not a hardcore gamer. Just a casual player. So if I can do it so can you.

Focus first on the Hero turn and the Darkness activating.

1. Keep it simple
2. Read through the rule book first. Hit the highlights to get an idea of how each piece of the puzzle works
3. Watch these videos on YouTube.
Miami Dice - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKOhhv9eB8c
Myth Game play part 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeSRobsjWKY
part 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbH0vIAFxAE
Myth Extended game play 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Knp1-0OHQL4

4. Reread the rule book more closely this time.
5. read the PDF's on the web site - http://megacongames.com/games/myth/
5. setup a small tile and as you read the rules use the game as reference
6. Play a small round with two Heroes
7. Read the BGG forums and see what answers others got about the same issues you had when you played a small round.

I have played a very small instructional game and loved it. Just think how great it will be when I use all the rules.

8. Pick something new to add to your tile. Like a trap. Read the rules and try it out.
9. Repeat #8
10. Keep rereading the rules and you will find things you did wrong. Fix them next time. You still enjoyed the game even though you did something wrong. (Unless of course you are a rule Nazi in which case you are no fun to play with anywaywhistle)

I am far from knowing all the rules but have enjoyed playing the game this weekend. Good Luck!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brady Sadler
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: I learned to Play using the Myth Rulebook
gdavid wrote:
I can relate to all the complaining about the rules. The first time reading them I was overwhelmed. BUT...being a Warhammer 40K player these rules are cake!! laugh

Ok..I know.. "I bought a board game not 40K with it's library of rule books."cry

Just chill a minute. This game is worth the time investment to learn. The Rules are what they are so move on and learn the game. And it is not that difficult if you go about it the correct way.

Here are the steps I took and was playing a practice game very quickly.
Don't expect to play with all the rules the first time through. Keep it very simple. This is true with any game of this magnitude.

Now that I have a better grasp of the rules, I just laugh at all these people crying about the rule book. I am not a hardcore gamer. Just a casual player. So if I can do it so can you. Use the energy you use to complain to figure out how to play.

Focus first on the Hero turn and the Darkness activating.

1. Keep it simple
2. Read through the rule book first. Hit the highlights to get an idea of how each piece of the puzzle works
3. Watch these videos on YouTube.
Miami Dice - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKOhhv9eB8c
Myth Game play part 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeSRobsjWKY
part 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbH0vIAFxAE
Myth Extended game play 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Knp1-0OHQL4

4. Reread the rule book more closely this time.
5. read the PDF's on the web site - http://megacongames.com/games/myth/
5. setup a small tile and as you read the rules use the game as reference
6. Play a small round with two Heroes
7. Read the forums and see what answers others got about the same issues you had when you played a small round.

I have played a very small instructional game and loved it. Just think how great it will be when I use all the rules.

8. Pick something new to add to your tile. Like a trap. Read the rules and try it out.
9. Repeat #8
10. Keep rereading the rules and you will find things you did wrong. Fix them next time. You still enjoyed the game even though you did something wrong. (Unless of course you are a rule Nazi in which case you are no fun to play with anywaywhistle)

I am far from knowing all the rules but have enjoyed playing the game this weekend. Good Luck!!

Awesome post, Geoff! I am of a very similar opinion, and I'm glad I got through the initial learning curve of this game because it's absolutely fantastic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no dog in the hunt so to speak, i dont have the game, and wont get the game (its not for me), but i would say the title of your post is misleading. You didnt just learn from the rulebook, not by a long way.

I think the amount of rules questions do indeed indicate a problem.

I play in a games group that has several people that buy games, so one of my friends may well pick Myth up, so i am kinda keeping an eye on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Executive Bear
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
badge
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tariff wrote:
I have no dog in the hunt so to speak, i dont have the game, and wont get the game (its not for me), but i would say the title of your post is misleading. You didnt just learn from the rulebook, not by a long way.

I think the amount of rules questions do indeed indicate a problem.

I'm not sure why you continue to comment on a game you have 0 interest in. It seems as though all you are doing is trying to stir the hornets nest more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tariff wrote:

Agreed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I very much appreciate the sentiment of your post, but I have to agree with Tariff, your title is COMPLETELY misleading. It detracts from your overall message, IMHO.

You didn't actually learn from the rulebook. You're saying people should learn from the rulebook, plus the dice tower video, plus the KS gameplay videos, plus the Hero Deck Reference PDF, plus the Myth Narrative PDF, plus the Myth Setup PDF, plus the Myth Starting Quest, plus the BGG forums. Which is pretty much what everyone here is doing.

I'm not saying this isn't a good post...quite the contrary. But I think it would be MUCH better titled "How to enjoy learning the rules" or "Step-by-step guide to learning the Myth rules" or somesuch. Not a title that (incorrectly) suggests that you learned the rules without all the other supplementary material that everyone else is needing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the thread title is misleading, until you realize that the OP DID use the rulebook to learn the game. He just also used the internet (videos and company website and BGG threads). The title requires careful reading to make sense and it helps to read the thread to clarify the title. Ironic or intentional?

I am waiting on three different KS fulfillments right now. I am assuming that this will be the first to arrive (still no love for MO) but all the questions about the rules have me thinking that waiting until a 2ed rulebook (fan or company made) might be wise. I figure I am smart enough to probably get within 70% of the designer's intent based on the types of questions I have seen, so waiting for a "better" rulebook might be good?

I guess I will just have to wait, probably another week or so to find out. If either Spy or Die Trying or Heroes of Normandy arrives before Myth, Myth waits for a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
breegull wrote:
I'm not saying this isn't a good post...quite the contrary. But I think it would be MUCH better titled "How to enjoy learning the rules" or "Step-by-step guide to learning the Myth rules" or somesuch. Not a title that (incorrectly) suggests that you learned the rules without all the other supplementary material that everyone else is needing.
Agreed, not that my opinion means much.

The rules were used and seem to have framed your learning of the game. So they are important and probably necessary, but not sufficient.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Josh. This is the 2nd time ive commented on myth. And I stated why. Someone in my group may well purchase it. Then I will be duty bound to play it. (Ive yet to refuse playing any game).
These forums are open to all to comment and im not aware anyone promoted you to forum supervisor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Executive Bear
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
badge
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris,

You stated why after you edited you post. That's all well and good that someone from your group may purchase it. Yes, the forums are open to all, it may only be your 2nd post but both of those posts really seem like you are solely trying to just get negative reactions out of people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RiderPestilence wrote:
Chris,

You stated why after you edited you post. That's all well and good that someone from your group may purchase it. Yes, the forums are open to all, it may only be your 2nd post but both of those posts really seem like you are solely trying to just get negative reactions out of people.

I don't think his comment in this thread was overly negative. The title is misleading, and the amount of rules questions is a concern.

I don't think he was trolling for comments by any means.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chas Bernard
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A person should not need all the additional resources mentioned in your post to learn the game, that's what a well written rulebook which has seen many drafts, critical readings etc. is for. It would appear the Myth rulebook is lacking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jef stuyck
Belgium
flag msg tools
Waw the guy gives some usefull tips and then suddenly these trolls( even some that don't like the game and have 0 interest in it) start bitching about the title. I would say, get off my internet! Who cares about some stupid title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Russell
msg tools
martimer wrote:

I am waiting on three different KS fulfillments right now. I am assuming that this will be the first to arrive (still no love for MO).

I'm in Missouri and got my copy last Wednesday. So did my wife. The strange thing was, I got my USPS, and she got hers UPS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skolo
Netherlands
R`dam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nice! positive post. finally
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You stated why after you edited you post.

Yes, because according to you (and other rabid fanbois) it is a no go to comment on a game i am not going to purchase. Maybe ill go thru your posts and see if you have ever done this yourself.

Are you really seriously suggesting that someone can only comment on a game if they have purchased it? or plan to purchase it?..do i have to provide proof?..maybe bgg could setup password system from the relevant games rulesbook etc... ridiculous

Quote:
it may only be your 2nd post but both of those posts really seem like you are solely trying to just get negative reactions out of people.

I dont think what i said here was trolling at all, and again, its a open forum, i dont need your permission.

I stated clearly, even tho i wont purchase this game myself, i may well end up playing it. Id rather know of issues before hand than have a bad game sesh because i was unaware of relevant issues. In the case of this particular thread, the assertion that you can play the game just by reading the rulebook seems false.

If i do get to play Myth im not sure what will ruin my game experience more, struggling to get thru the rules or remembering the rabid fanbois that will have nothing said against a game they are invested in.

I play and love Arkham, but i dont go patrolling Arkham posts telling people off for commenting if they dont own it.. and id never defend its rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
I don't think his comment in this thread was overly negative. The title is misleading, and the amount of rules questions is a concern.

I don't think he was trolling for comments by any means.

I thought they were overly negative myself... as someone who's struggled with the rules for close to 15 hours, has played the game now for about 10 hours, and is still struggling with trying to get everything right, I found comments like

Quote:
I just laugh at all these people crying about the rule book

and

Quote:
Use the energy you use to complain to figure out how to play.

pretty damn insulting. But I'm a turn the other cheek kind of guy, so I'm going to let it go. But fyi to the OP, if he meant to be tongue & cheek, his post can certainly be read different ways by folks who are extremely frustrated with the game's rules (plus, half the items he said should be used to supplement the rules have errors in them as well, so can't be relied upon 100% either).

Okay, breathing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff David
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re: How to learn to Play Myth using the Rulebook and YouTube
Quote:

Quote:
I just laugh at all these people crying about the rule book

and

Quote:
Use the energy you use to complain to figure out how to play.

pretty damn insulting. But I'm a turn the other cheek kind of guy, so I'm going to let it go. But fyi to the OP, if he meant to be tongue & cheek, his post can certainly be read different ways by folks who are extremely frustrated with the game's rules (plus, half the items he said should be used to supplement the rules have errors in them as well, so can't be relied upon 100% either).

Okay, breathing...

I have no patience for complainers. Sorry if you find that insulting. In all aspects of life, I find it more constructive to work through problems then to complain about them. The issue is known. They are working on it. Stop hitting that poor horse with a stick. He is dead. (not necessarily directed towards you, just those that are going to bring up the rules problems over and over. This game is well worth all the effort to learn.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Hubbard
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Re: How I learned to Play Myth using the Rulebook and YouTube
And it's ultimately not that bad, especially for those of us on BGG where Brian has been paying a lot of attention answering questions. I just played through my first out-of-the-box story quest and everything went fine (and I finally found the game's teeth). I still have one or two questions but while I wait for those answers (and the updated rulebook) nothing's stopping me from enjoying the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
gdavid wrote:
I have no patience for complainers. Sorry if you find that insulting. In all aspects of life, I find it more constructive to work through problems then to complain about them. The issue is known. They are working on it. Stop hitting that poor horse with a stick. He is dead. (not necessarily directed towards you, just those that are going to bring up the rules problems over and over. This game is well worth all the effort to learn.)

I'm also find being labelled a "complainer" insulting too, especially in light of this thread I started, and the fact that's I've spent almost 25 hours trying to "work through problems" with Myth, so thanks for that as well... first you laugh at me in your opening post, and then call me a complainer. Okay, I guess we'll just agree to disagree, as no good can come of further discussion here. Have a nice day...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff David
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
rahdo wrote:

I'm also find being labelled a "complainer" insulting too, especially in light of this thread I started, and the fact that's I've spent almost 25 hours trying to "work through problems" with Myth, so thanks for that as well... first you laugh at me in your opening post, and then call me a complainer. Okay, I guess we'll just agree to disagree, as no good can come of further discussion here. Have a nice day...

I would not call you a "complainer". Not sure why you personally are taking offense. You have been around long enough to know the type of posters the complaining comment is towards. Nothing wrong with asking as many questions as you need. Take a deep breath and enjoy your day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joshuar56 wrote:
martimer wrote:

I am waiting on three different KS fulfillments right now. I am assuming that this will be the first to arrive (still no love for MO).

I'm in Missouri and got my copy last Wednesday. So did my wife. The strange thing was, I got my USPS, and she got hers UPS.
You two must be lucky or something. No game or notification here.

The thread title change is a good start. You still should probably mention BGG as questions are being answered here as well. That was meant as more of a suggestion rather than a complaint, by the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff David
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
martimer wrote:

The thread title change is a good start. You still should probably mention BGG as questions are being answered here as well. That was meant as more of a suggestion rather than a complaint, by the way.

Good point. Added to title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jef stuyck
Belgium
flag msg tools
lol my post is below the threshold but these trolls aren't ? that's a nice joke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Banemus wrote:
lol my post is below the threshold but these trolls aren't ? that's a nice joke.

Probably because accusing someone/people of trolling is against the Community Rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.