Andrew Massengale
United States
Bensenville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
How 'bout them Cowboys?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Spoils modify Bank's value? Our initial reaction was no, but then we thought about it. Spoils says "When you play this...". And Bank says "...per treasure card you have in play". So in order for Spoils to not count for Bank, it would have to be both "played" but not "in play" while at the same time giving you +3 coins. It just seemed too weird for us, so we house ruled that we would flip a coin over it, and check the Geek when we were done.

I did a forum search and only found something from the Dark Ages previews, which wasn't convincing enough for me. Any other thoughts? What's the official ruling?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DuckOfDeath V
United States
Hillsboro
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The key is what Spoils says after the "When you play this...". "When you play this, return it to the Spoils pile". So when you play the Bank, the Spoils is no longer in play, it is in the Spoils pile. So the Bank would not count the spoils when calculating its value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Doughty
United States
California
flag msg tools
OVERTEXT HERE
badge
Funded by supporters like you!
mb
Cards are played one at a time and each is generally processed before the play of the next. If you play Bank first, its value will have already been determined before the Spoils is played. If you play Spoils first it will already have left the in play area before the Bank is played. The action of playing a card and the game state of a card being in play are two separate things. So Spoils will never be counted by Bank as Spoils is only in play long enough to generate 3 coin and then move itself back to the Spoils pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Laufer
United States
Millington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe and Bryan are both right. The thing you may be missing is that "in play" is a specific thing in Dominion. It's a place, really, a zone on the table. Cards are either there or not there. How they got there or where they went doesn't matter to cards that are looking for them there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Massengale
United States
Bensenville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
How 'bout them Cowboys?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Got it! Thanks everyone!

It didn't really affect our game (and now that we know the correct ruling, will probably never happen again...), but it's good to know exactly how the timing of all that works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Counterfeit will do the same thing to treasures you "counterfeit".

Some of my groups lose track of $$, so we set aside a "purgatory zone" where we can still count coins, but have it so it's NOT in play for cards like Bank.

At least with action cards, you can do that "action tree" graph that I see a lot of, although it gets messy too with cards like Procession and Mining Village from Intrigue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt N

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

At least with action cards, you can do that "action tree" graph that I see a lot of, although it gets messy too with cards like Procession and Mining Village from Intrigue.

I "tap" mining villages that are going to be trashed; that would probably work with procession too. I do like action trees but I can't talk anyone else into them. They work very well except for triple branches (king's courted actions, crossroads), where the cards don't fit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.