Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
dan dargenio
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Took down the store champs on my home turf, Redcap's corner, the future host of Philadelphia regionals! Word to the wise, if you're planning on coming to the regionals, PRE REGISTER! We can only fit about 100 people and seeing as we have a pretty central regionals it's likely, and unfortunate, that not everyone will have a seat who wants to play. I would certainly love/hate to see a bunch of New Yorkers turned away at the door; this is your fair warning!

I was actually super tired from staying out the night before playing, so I can't give you a full tournament report, but I'll touch on a few things. We had 18 players, (there likely would have been more but there were 3 store champs going on at the same time 1/2hr drive from our store, which split the crowd), and we did 5 rounds of swiss plus cut to top 8.

I ended up 8-2 in the swiss, dropping 2 games with my corp deck, once in the first round in a game that felt totally locked up where an andy player stole 2/5 agendas off the top of my 30 card deck the turn before I would fast advance the win. My other loss was to gabe, who can be tough to beat if you draw agendas and find yourself unable to jackson howard before you stabilize, (in this case, the only ICE I found to defend sneakdoor was tollbooth, which got shut down after a fizzed siphon run). so I am pretty happy with my decks overall. I didn't drop a game in top 8, as I was 2nd seed and got to run first every round, (andy doesn't lose!). Only having to score 1-4 points with the NBN deck was pretty trivial, and swapping out viper for enigma to free up influence for ichi helped with my ability to rush those quick games in the top 8.

Here's what I played:

The Deck (45 cards)

Andromeda: Dispossessed Ristie

Event (22)
3 Account Siphon
1 Diesel
3 Dirty Laundry
1 Easy Mark
2 Emergency Shutdown
2 Infiltration
2 Inside Job
2 Quality Time
3 Special Order
3 Sure Gamble

Hardware (7)
3 Desperado
2 Plascrete Carapace
2 R&D Interface

Resource (5)
1 Armitage Codebusting
2 Kati Jones
2 Same Old Thing

Icebreaker (8)
1 Corroder
1 Crypsis
3 Faerie
1 Femme Fatale
1 Mimic
1 Yog.0

Program (3)
3 Datasucker

Pretty standard andy package, despite a lot of weird and sloppy-looking numbers. I find that there are a few cards you don't want to see multiples of, like quality time, codebusting, kati, and inside job, or that are situational more than anything else, like infiltration and emergency shutdown, and because I see so many cards and play same old things, I like to go low on the numbers of these cards to increase my options. I frequently go tag-me. The only resource you really want to stick is kati, so most games either are kati games, or siphon games. If you can land siphon to jump your econ and don't need to worry about scorched or psycho, that's a fine way to go, otherwise, a single kati takes care of economy by herself.

Quality time is the best draw engine in andy, hands down. More powerful than Mr Li, less risky than Masanori, and gives you a speed boost rather than a big tempo hit unlike the hostage package. The downside is you can't fit Corroder #2 without cutting a quality time or an RDI, but my recent switch of the 3rd QT for a Diesel has been great for me, as one of the worst things about QT is drawing multiples without enough money to play them all.

The most against-the-grain thing I choose to do in andy is not play daily casts. I really don't like taking the initial tempo hit, and it doesn't help you much when floating tags. I prefer to lean on kati jones when I'm not floating, and when I am, I'd rather see codebusting or easy mark. Skipping it also helps you find burst-ier opening hands. I usually mulligan to burst econ + desperado, and seeing a daily casts as your opening econ can often mean an awkward start, despite the big upside when the card is good.

I played against weyland 3 times, which I am always happy to see. They basically have 2 threats; scorched earth and program trashing, and have a hard time actually applying pressure without giving up on those threats by burning their money, so if you can land a kati jones, you can just keep up with their econ and wait for them to install agendas in remotes before going to steal them, and they really never have a shot. I honestly feel like weyland T&B isn't a competitive deck at the highest levels for this reason, though it does have an easier time against gabe because they don't usually pack kati jones and need to run to keep pressure on, even when it isn't necessarily 100% safe.

NBN Tax Man (49 cards)

NBN: Making News

Agenda (11)
3 AstroScript Pilot Program
2 Breaking News
3 Character Assassination
3 Project Beale

Asset (8)
3 Jackson Howard
3 Marked Accounts
2 PAD Campaign

Upgrade (5)
2 Ash 2X3ZB9CY
3 SanSan City Grid

Operation (6)
3 Hedge Fund
3 Sweeps Week

Barrier (5)
3 Eli 1.0
2 Wraparound

Code Gate (7)
2 Enigma
3 Pop-up Window
2 Tollbooth

Sentry (7)
3 Caduceus
3 Draco
1 Ichi 1.0

I've been playing stuff like this for a while now, and because of the prevalence of tag-floaters, I've cut all my tagging and tag punishment. My belief is that Psychographics is the best tagpun in the game, and it isn't really worth playing without Midseasons. I wasn't interesting in playing Midseasons, so I ended up cutting all the closed accounts and bernices from my deck in favor of more economy, which is almost never bad, (though it is becoming a pain to keep yourself able to burn all your money in the event of a successful siphon run).

This is a long game deck that relies on high trash costs, shell games, and taxing ICE to break the runner so that eventually you can either create a scoring window for an astro or assn/BN to kill important econ, or simply land an untrashable (read: economically unfeasible to trash) ash or sansan later in the game to score with. Because of the large economy package, I am considering looking for room for either TMI or Bastion, both of which I used to play at one point or another. Other than that, the deck is totally solid as is. If people don't know what your up to, though, I might recommend more tagging, as it is a pretty powerful tax when people are scared of what you might be doing and removing tags, trashing bernices, bouncing off data ravens, and playing plascretes. It's only because the locals in my area know what I'm up to that I abandoned the tag game pretty much altogether.

I look forward to seeing all of you at regionals this summer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse M
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Congrats again on your win!

I'm surprised by so much Weyland. I was thinking there would be lots of NBN given I haven't seen too much Weyland lately. Wish I could have made it to see more of what people brought.

And Regionals is going to be a blast!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yi Sheng Siow
msg tools
i like the numbers in your sucker andy list more than most sucker andy lists.

i don't like pad campaign/marked accounts in taxman, after playing with it a lot of times and playing against it a lot of times.

congrats on your win though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dan dargenio
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
siowy wrote:
i like the numbers in your sucker andy list more than most sucker andy lists.

i don't like pad campaign/marked accounts in taxman, after playing with it a lot of times and playing against it a lot of times.

congrats on your win though!

Marked/PAD do two things, really. They're certainly not as raw-powerful as something like celebrity gift, but they free up a lot of influence for really good taxing ICE and Ash, and they play a great long game. However, I do recognize that as we get more economy options, they're proving relatively less powerful as time goes on. I've tried going down to less of them, but you have a tough time in long games, especially vs opus or a stuck kati jones, if you can't stick at least one. If you play less than 5, you can't rely on them not to all get trashed and end up using your ICE to protect them when you could have made good use of that ICE elsewhere.

If I were going to go in another direction, I might try melange & restructure. I can honestly say I've never played this deck without some amount of drip economy, but the introduction of sweeps week means that you could probably get away with something else and still have a good long game. In fact, I dont think this deck feels optimal at the moment and I wouldn't be surprised if someone could build a better non-tagging, non-rush NBN deck, probably based around different economy. The main troubles with other options are (1) you can't always get them going (melange/restructure), (2) they don't tax the runner, (pretty much everything besides marked/PAD/private contracts), (3) theyre underpowered (shipment from sansan/private contracts/beanstalk), or (4) they cost valuable influence (gifts). Going up to a lot of money with burstier economy also increases your vulnerability to siphons, as the most dangerous part of siphon is not that you lose money, but that the runner gains a ton of it, and the best way to defend against that is never to go too high on money that it's terribly painful to spend it all on a draco or tollbooth rez, rezzing assets, or ash tracing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panagiotis Zinoviadis
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Among the Stars:The Ambassadors
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats on your win.

I have faced your Andy (and most of the times defeat also) many times on OCTGN.

Really like the use of infiltration now.

Thnx for sharing the lists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Henry
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Congrats! I want to hit up Red caps for regionals this summmer. I've never been there. I play weekly at 7th dimension in Jenkintown so I ended up there for the Store Championship. Just wish I didn't last-second-change my runner to something I wasn't practiced with since I won all my corp games in swiss and bombed runner side.

Agree with you on quality time though, I love that card. Diesel's freeby cost is nice but QT really speeds things up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dan dargenio
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jhmanufacture wrote:
Congrats! I want to hit up Red caps for regionals this summmer. I've never been there. I play weekly at 7th dimension in Jenkintown so I ended up there for the Store Championship. Just wish I didn't last-second-change my runner to something I wasn't practiced with since I won all my corp games in swiss and bombed runner side.

Agree with you on quality time though, I love that card. Diesel's freeby cost is nice but QT really speeds things up.

I actually feel like 2 QT 1 Diesel would be the optimal setup even if I weren't constrained by influence, (though if I could, I would play 2 Qt and as many diesels as I could). When I was playing 3 Qt, I ran into quite a few situations where I was sitting on 2 Qt in hand, I set up to play the first one, drew no economy off it, and was stuck in slo-mo trying to set up for the next one. Diesel is great because you can essentially always play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher MacLeod
Canada
Moncton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Congrats! With all the Weyland, did you have any trouble playing 1x Corroder against Power Shutdown?

Power Shutdown is huge in my local meta and sometimes even with a Faerie or a Datasucker out I'll lose my first Corroder to double Power Shutdown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dan dargenio
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Kiv6 wrote:
Congrats! With all the Weyland, did you have any trouble playing 1x Corroder against Power Shutdown?

Power Shutdown is huge in my local meta and sometimes even with a Faerie or a Datasucker out I'll lose my first Corroder to double Power Shutdown.

I play around it pretty hard. I didn't once lose my corroder, but I almost always make sure that past turn 3 or 4 I keep either 2 datasuckers or a sucker and a faerie on the board with my corroder. It's certainly an issue, though I don't think it can't be remedied by good play. It's also somewhat convenient that most weyland decks don't play any large barriers, so crypsis plus bad pub can do okay breaking ice wall, wos, and chimera if you need him to.

All of the weyland decks I played against played 3 power shutdowns. Weyland is still easily my best matchup, (basically any version), outside of noncompetitive jinteki flatline decks. You have to recognize that they have basically no pressure going long and let them score sometimes if it means being safe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.