Hide
11 Posts

A Game of Thrones: The Card Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Valar Vs. Wildfire rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Cray
msg tools
I get the impression that these have similar utility, and my deck should generally use 1 of them, but i'm not sure when to use one over the other. If I follow the 15-15-30 deckbuilding rule of thumb, then none of my decks are more character dependent than another, which further stumps me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally speaking, every AGOT deck in competitive play includes Valar Morghulis.

Most Joust matches will go through 3 to 6 plots for the entire game. This means that in most matches you will have the option to not play Valar (if you are doing well and you win by plot 6). Occasionally you'll have a game go long and find yourself in a situation where you must play Valar and you'd rather not. These situations are relatively rare.

Sometimes Wildfire Assault gets played in addition to Valar as a second reset.

When a plot deck does not include Valar Morghulis it's usually for very specific reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helmut Hohberger
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum videtur
mbmbmbmbmb
mkaup366 wrote:
Generally speaking, every AGOT deck in competitive play includes Valar Morghulis.

Generally speaking this is true, but I thought I'd mention that there is a current trend to play aggro decks without a reset, since in the current metagame that is chock full with character light control decks, the Valar will usually hurt the aggro player a lot more than his opponent.

As for Valar vs Wildfire, Valar is usually better because it will hit those pesky strong problem characters that Wildfire doesn't hit. But it really depends on your deck, and on the meta you're playing in. If you play against lots of weenies and yourself have a deck that relies very much on one or two really strong characters, then Wildfire might be an option, either instead of or in addirion to Valar. If you have a problem with decks that flood the board wirth weenies, The First Snow of Winter is another fine plot to counter them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Awesome
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Can't read my POKAH FASE
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, if your deck is built around one character (Red Viper, Robert, Cersei) you will generally run wildfire so that you can try to keep them around if things start to spiral out of control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cray
msg tools
That's a bummer. So the number of Valars you own is the limit on how many decks you can operate without switching the card around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helmut Hohberger
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum videtur
mbmbmbmbmb
Baron Porkface wrote:
That's a bummer. So the number of Valars you own is the limit on how many decks you can operate without switching the card around.

Yeah, I know what you mean. In casual play, you can always use proxies, but that's not a really satisfying solution either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Raised more questions

As a newbie I had the same question. While the posts in this thread answered my question ("Thanks", btw), they raised others...

mkaup366 wrote:

Does, or could this imply that [when jousting] both players' plot decks include VM?

Ratatoskr72 wrote:
there is a current trend to play aggro decks ... since in the current metagame ... with character light control decks

"agro" ???
"metagame" ???
"character light control deck" ??? (I can surmise the "character light" meaning)

(sorry - I'm a board game cross-over newbie... still learning the card game terms)

Baron Porkface wrote:

OK, so what's the big deal about switching cards around? I'm not a tournament player, but I think I read someplace that the deck you bring to a tournament can't be modified once the tournament starts... OK - I get that. Is that what Scott is talking about? If so, the inference I draw from the above quote is that you can at least switch decks during a tournament? Or if not, then what's the big deal about switching cards between tournaments or games?

OK, thanks all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin McMahon
msg tools
bgm1961 wrote:
Does, or could this imply that [when jousting] both players' plot decks include VM?

It's pretty common, yes.

bgm1961 wrote:
"agro" ???
"metagame" ???
"character light control deck" ??? (I can surmise the "character light" meaning)

"Aggro" decks are ones that focus on advantage in board position - in other words, they want more and better characters in play than their opponent. They usually accomplish this with plenty of kill/discard effects and high claim challenges to thin out the opponent's side of the board, as well as cost-efficient characters to keep their own side populated.

(There's a good article on the different deck archetypes here, if you want more information.)

The "metagame" is a term for the state of competitive play, and what cards or deck types are popular.

"Character-light control decks" are a recent trend, and there's a few types. These come mostly out of House Martell, using either Knights of the Hollow Hill or Bloodthirst as their agenda. They'll often run 7-15 characters, and around 30 events. The whole idea is to stall out the beginning turns, using Burning on the Sand and Red Vengeance to nullify the opponent's challenges, Westeros Bleeds and Favorable Ground to reset the board, and The Prince's Plans to keep getting those events back into their hand. Then they'll usually use The Red Viper (the non-kneeling version) and/or To the Spears to close out the game quickly.

bgm1961 wrote:
OK, so what's the big deal about switching cards around? I'm not a tournament player, but I think I read someplace that the deck you bring to a tournament can't be modified once the tournament starts... OK - I get that. Is that what Scott is talking about? If so, the inference I draw from the above quote is that you can at least switch decks during a tournament? Or if not, then what's the big deal about switching cards between tournaments or games?

You're correct. At a tournament, you can't change your deck once you've submitted your decklist. If the tournament has both joust and melee formats, then you can have a different deck for each, but other than that you're stuck with the same deck for the whole event. So I'd agree it's not too big of a deal, but I can understand it could become a hassle if you like to switch between decks a lot in casual play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Colin,

Thank you much for your replies. Much appreciated! As a boardgamer, I really like this game, so its great to learn some of the cardgamer culture. And thx for the link.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan McBee
Malta
Hamrun
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Colin,
you said that:

"Character-light control decks" are a recent trend, and there's a few types. These come mostly out of House Martell, using either Knights of the Hollow Hill or Bloodthirst as their agenda. They'll often run 7-15 characters, and around 30 events. The whole idea is to stall out the beginning turns, using Burning on the Sand and Red Vengeance to nullify the opponent's challenges, Westeros Bleeds and Favorable Ground to reset the board, and The Prince's Plans to keep getting those events back into their hand. Then they'll usually use The Red Viper (the non-kneeling version) and/or To the Spears to close out the game quickly."

As a Martell player, this sounds fascinating. Do you know of any specific decklists that work like this? I'd love to try it out, especially since I think I can use it to keep a Lannister friend of mine under control hehe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buz
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If your group uses the up to date restricted list and tournament rules (it should!) these character light decks were smashed by the new list making them hard to sustain. Now, Bloodthirst, burning on the sands, princes plans, shadow arianne, blessed by the maiden, and desperate measures cannot be ran in the same deck. You have to pick just one.

You can check out agotcards.org or cardgamedb.com for some list ideas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.