5 Posts

Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: Ramifications of extra 'starting tech'? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lucas Walker
Canada
flag msg tools
A friend of mine is running a game this thursday and wants to use some 'extra starting tech' variant to encourage players to go after more obscure techs. The rule is apparently called 'Super Tech', but I've never heard of it and have no real idea of the impact it would have on the game.

The variant works like this:

Each player chooses all techs they would qualify to buy after their starting technologies, shuffles those into a pile, and then draws TWO TO FOUR of them at game start.

Just at a glance, this seems ridiculous, because there really are only so many techs, and even a couple is a massive leg up. While these all must be techs you have the prerequisites for, it seems like this rule would unbalance a lot of things, like races balanced by less starting tech, or races- like the Jol Nar, who rely on teching up fast, who would in turn lose some of their edge.

Maybe I'm just crazy- if anyone has had experience with this variant or a similar variant, I'd love to hear about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
3D board game prints: www.3dhubs.com/service/3dgaming
mbmbmbmbmb
The only "Super-tech" variant I played was on the old TI3 wiki and the way we did it was that each player got a free tech of their choosing (Prerequisites still applied) each status phase.

This did make the game tech heavy but since it was one tech they could qualify for each round it did not overbalance the game as it was equal overall.

If you start off the game I would not do more then 1 qualifying tech.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
mb
We always let players select 1 race-specific tech for free to start the game, as a way to 'customize' their race. I love it, it's tons of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
Kerrus wrote:
A friend of mine is running a game this thursday and wants to use some 'extra starting tech' variant to encourage players to go after more obscure techs. The rule is apparently called 'Super Tech', but I've never heard of it and have no real idea of the impact it would have on the game.

It sounds a bit silly. If you want to play the Long War, play the Long War; and play with a number of people which makes it more likely Technology is selected each time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Harrop
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
damerell wrote:
Kerrus wrote:

It sounds a bit silly. If you want to play the Long War, play the Long War; and play with a number of people which makes it more likely Technology is selected each time.

Play with Technology strategy cards that get more tech into the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.