Subject: How does Force Field work? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Partridge
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you leave it displayed in front of you like Vandal Savage and draw 5 cards at the end of your turn, or keep it in your hand, and draw 4 cards? It doesn't have the "Leave it in front of you" text of VS, but it talks about discarding it while in play. As most, if not all, attacks happen while you are not the active player, when would the card be "in play?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Davis
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You leave it out in front of you like an ongoing card until you need it, then you discard it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Partridge
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you mean until you need it as defense? So it stays out, you draw a card every turn, but discard it when you need it for defense. Hence the name. I get it. That makes sense thematically. It's a really good card if you play as flash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Jones
United Kingdom
Derby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't draw a card every turn.

AFAIK it plays like this:

FF in hand: play it, draw a card, leave it in front of you.

FF in play: do nothing until you need it for defense then discard it.

You only draw another card from it the next time you play it from your hand.

I may be wrong as I don't have the game in front of me but that's how we play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Partridge
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That makes sense. That means my 2 losses have asterisks on them. Awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wise
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Force Field is worded kinda weirdly.

The logic (as I see it) is that the card enters play, and then should be discarded, but because it isn't discarded in the discard step, it stays in play on the table.

Hopefully the next iteration of the Cerberus Heroes rulebook will have a section on Ongoing Cards in the "Addition Rules" section, and maybe add a third bullet under the 'End of Game' section noting how a card can declare a player the winner (in Kyle's case).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Stone
United States
Framingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
So we just had a big disagreement over this card. The consensus (which I did not agree with) is that you have to have already played the card before you can use it. If it is drawn for the first time and in your hand, you can not simply use it as a defense card.

Is this the intent? Or can it be played directly from your hand. The wording is very odd, especially given the wording on the opening villain that stays in front of you. To me, the two cards should have been worded in the same way...

-Matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
muttstain wrote:
So we just had a big disagreement over this card. The consensus (which I did not agree with) is that you have to have already played the card before you can use it. If it is drawn for the first time and in your hand, you can not simply use it as a defense card.

Is this the intent? Or can it be played directly from your hand. The wording is very odd, especially given the wording on the opening villain that stays in front of you. To me, the two cards should have been worded in the same way...

-Matt

Force Field must be in play to be able to use the discard/Defense ability of the card. In hand, it does nothing.

I'll see about adding new rules sections to the next rulebook.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.