Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alain Gamache
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
Hi everyone!

Me and my group like to play MTG and board/card games during game night and I'd like to mix things up a bit by introducing a miniature game. I often see people playing Warhammer 40K and Man O' war at my FLGS and I think it looks pretty neat. I've been searching BGG for the "best" miniature game and I can't really decide which one would be best for me and my group. So far, Star Wars : X-Wing and Mage Knight seems to stick out of the lot. Maybe you guys can throw me suggestions based on my ideal criteria? Here's what I'd like the game to have :

- 2 to 5 players, or at least playable as 2 teams
- Maximum of 150 minutes games.
- Scalable (can play quick skirmishes with a couple miniatures as well as full-scale epic campaings with massive armies).
- Depth (good mix of luck and strategy).
- Starting price below 60$. I don't mind investing more money as we evolve with the game, but I don't want a collectible game with random boosters.
- I prefer fantasy/historic settings, but I could go for sci-fi.

Of course, a game doesn't have to satisfy every criteria; those are merely my ideal settings. Like I said, X-Wing seems so far the best candidate. However, even if I'm a huge Star Wars fan, the setting is not exactly what I look for in a miniature game. Maybe there's a fantasy equivalent I missed out there? Also, I'd like to be able to play campaings with more than 3-4 figurines.

Well, I think that sums it. A big "Thank you!" will be awarded to everyone who manage to help me explore the compelling world of miniatures!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
People still play Man O War near you? I loved that game, but after GW shut it down 1994 I couldn't find opponents.

Honestly Mageknight and Heroclix are good, especially because they are cheap (buy used and you can get a lot of commons for almost nothing from players.)

Also go to this website. http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/landing.jsp?catId=...

This is for old GW games they no longer really support. You can get the rules for Necromunda, Mordheim, and Blood Bowl for free. Read the rules and see if they look like fun. You can use any figs you want and they are good games.

Also ask if you can learn to play, learn from the players you will be playing with. If they are jerks, you probably don't want to play with them anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
There is a fantasy equivalent to X-Wing coming out in October. Not much information about it yet though beyond that it uses the same system as X-Wing but involves dragons. Dungeons & Dragons: Attack Wing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
Dust Tactics
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you have a snowball's chance in hell of getting in to X-Wing at $60 - a 'typical' Imperial list is 6-8 TIE Fighters, and at $15 a pop, you are looking at well over $100 for just ONE side of the match.

(That said, X-Wing does still manage to come in far, *far* cheaper than WH40K)

I'd throw 'Star Trek: Attack Wing' out as a suggestion. It's WizKids license of the same engine as X-Wing, so most of the core concepts are the same. However, as the game is simulating the 'Star Trek' universe, the ships tend to be a bit beefier, and concentrate more on lots of crew (cards) upgrades to fill the point values.

A 'typical' Attack Wing fleet is 2 or 3 ships - and I've seen some players be competitive with even a single ship - and they are the same $15 a unit as the X-Wing ships. So...MUCH cheaper game to get into (pretty much 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of X-Wing).

The core set of Attack Wing also does a much better job being a 'complete game' than the core set of X-Wing. (Which isn't to knock X-Wing's core set - it DOES present some enjoyable matches, but in a game system where half of it feels like 'deck building'...the core set of X-Wing presents a lot fewer options than Attack Wing)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B J
United States
Columbus
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Freitag wrote:

Honestly Mageknight and Heroclix are good, especially because they are cheap (buy used and you can get a lot of commons for almost nothing from players.)

For a cheap miniatures game, I'd agree on Heroclix or Mage Knight. If you go with Heroclix, get the older stuff (pre 2007ish). Heroclix will be easier to acquire since it is still being published, but I'm sure there's a lot of old Mage Knight out there.
The reason I suggest old heroclix is 1) they are easy to get for cheap, 2) they precede the "special powers" addition to the game, which would require you to have cards for each figure detailing what they can do.
Both games have a very similar mechanic, but I will outline the differences:
-Heroclix is played on a gridded map whereas Mage Knight you play on any surface with your choice of added "terrain." It is therefore easier to get variety in your playing area with Mage Knight, but it is easier to measure range and movement in heroclix because you can just count squares. Measurements in Mage knight are made with a small flexible ruler.
- In Mage knight you have a front arc and rear arc: you can only attack through the front arc and are weaker when attacked throug the rear arc. In heroclix, there are no arcs so you don't have to worry about what way your characters are facing.
-Lastly, generally speaking, heroclix is about combat between small teams, whereas Mage Knight is a bit larger scale. Mage Knight uses more generic units and has rules for moving and attacking in formations. Heroclix doesn't use any formations. I should add, that because of the formation rules, Mage Knight might push you to buy more units since you need units of the same faction to form formations.

Well, that is really just the tip of the iceberg, but I hope it helps. You can go to www.hcrealms.com and if you click on the "units" page, you can view all the rules and every single character ever made and its stats.

I can't believe I almost didn't mention it! There is also Mechwarrior: Dark Age, another clix mechanic game by Wizkids. It is out of print as well. It has a very similar in play style to Mage Knight, using formations and such. It's definitely more difficult to come by than heroclix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Lagasse
United States
Derry
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy Earth Reborn, as it is a bit of a self sustaining mini game with randomized scenario, gives you a hint of if you like it without collecting all the random miniatures and expansions of other games.

Warning though, it's been hard to get to the table. The scenario book makes it easier to learn, but be prepared to make some mistakes.

Mice and Mystics and HeroQuest are both good entry level dungeon crawlers. Mice would be my reccommendation for something in this vein. Easy enough, great components and tiles, with expansions out.

Heroquest of course is out of print, while it's good for nostalgia's sake, I hope we eventually see a reprint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Jeggo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Im going to through a couple of curve balls in just to broaden the horizon a bit.

Check out Batman the Miniatures Game by Knight Models: fairly recent start up but the rules are free so you could try out the game by buying a few models or proxying.

Also check out Malifaux: Another small skirmish game but they have just made the game easier to get into, the perfect time to get into the game. The theme is awesome IMO.

These may not be what you are after but just wanted to through them out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Miller
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi Alain,

Can I suggest you check out Flame of War which is a WW2 miniatures game. If you like historical games then there are a number of different rules out there (Fields of Glory, Bolt Action etc).

If you want a Sci-Fi game then look at Firestorm Armada.

Also have a look to see if there are any clubs near you as my local group (NEWS) is really friendly and inviting and plays lots of difference games.

Take care
Peter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dropzone Commander

For less than $100, you can get the starter set with 2 factions, *and* it includes all the terrain, rules, dice, you need. Heck, it even includes a tape measure. I know that's mor ethan "$60", but with all the terrain included, it's worth it, and it's still less than $60 per faction.

It scales well to massive armies, can easily be played with more than 2 players (but of course you'll need to buy more minis to play with more people), and the miniatures are beautiful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and where in Canada are you from? If you're anywhere near Kitchener, Ontario, I could show you the 2 miniatures games I have and play - Dropzone Commander and Dust Tactics / Dust Warfare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I might also humbly suggest Kings of War by Mantic games. It's basically a streamlined rip-off of Warhammer Fantasy. But where WH is ridiculously expensive and requires a graduate-level course to learn the rules, Kings of War is cheap and easy to learn. Models run about 1/3 or less than the price of Games Workshop models and the rules are FREE! Also good is that the armies approximately mimic Warhammer's, so if you decide one day to take the plunge, you can use Kings of War models with GW rules. But you don't even have to buy Mantic models to play the game; you can use other companies' models with Kings of War. In fact, you can substitute the regiments in the game for single models, which means you could play a whole Kings game (both sides) for about $20 worth of fantasy models of any brand. I actually have some Reaper Bones minis in mine. It's definitely not as deep a game as WH or Malifaux or others, but it's a good inexpensive intro into miniature gaming. If you do go with Mantic modela, a starter set of a particular army is about $40, which is more than enough to play. I've spent about $150 total on the game and have two very large armies, bigger than I'd ever actually play with.

Let me also put in another good word forStar Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game. Yes, it's a little bit of an investment on the front end, but as far as mini games go it really isn't that expensive. You do not need to run 8 tie fighters to get started in the game. Grab a core set and a couple of expansions and you'll have enough to play with your buddies. This is not to say that you won't eventually want to buy more and more expansions to make more competitive lists, but you really don't need to invest that much upfront.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hillier
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only advice I can give from experience is to stay the hell away from 40k. It's expensive, time consuming, and the rules for the game are unbalanced, unpolished, and amateurish. Games Workshop doesn't give a damn about the rules, they just want you to buy the latest overpowered, super expensive robot. It's not even good as a casual game, which is its stated intent, because the rules are so incoherent and incomplete.

I don't have any positive advice to give, I'm afraid. I have heard good things, but never played, Firestorm Armada, X-Wing (though I have a bunch on order), Flames of War and Infinity. Those all sound more like what you're looking for, and are much more affordable (and X-Wing is pre-painted!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B J
United States
Columbus
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another one worth mentioning is Mobile Frame Zero: Rapid Attack. It's not exactly a miniatures game in that you don't have to purchase any miniatures for it. Instead, you make your own minis using Lego bricks. The only thing you need beside Legos is a bunch of d6 and a couple d8. They offer the rules for free at their website. The rules include an introduction to the games sci-fi universe, how to play, and instructions for building your Lego mecha. Of course you can build your own as well. Since it's all free, I suggest at least looking through the rulebook to see if it appeals.

http://mobileframezero.com/mfz/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Parks
United States
Billings
Montana
flag msg tools
Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
badge
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Dust Tactics
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean O
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
While I'm not super familiar on games that are more than just 1v1(I'm sure 2v2 can work) Infinity is an amazing system. I've played Warhammer 40k, Warhammer Fantasy and Warmachine a lot and this system is my favourite by a long shot.

http://www.infinitythegame.com/infinity/en

One huge plus is that the rules and the army builder are all free. You don't need that many models(the starter boxes from miniaturemarket.com are around $35ish) which is enough for a starter army and adding a bit(+20-$30) from there you can have a decent army. There are lots of scenarios to keep things interesting. And the rules aren't too tough, but make the game really in depth.

Out of the thing you listed it misses on being Sci-Fi, and I've never played it as 2v2 but it should work. The price vs depth of the game is great.

The one great things about the rules being free is if you have some models of any kind, proxy it up and try some games. Just remember use lots and lots and lots of scenery. Too many open lanes in this game makes everyone stuck camping in cover(as if you move into my line of sight I can shoot you, even on your turn. Hence why it is so interesting to play, really have to plan stuff out)

*edit* Hell... If you have access to a chess set you have enough different looking models to field a small 1v1 army. Kinda ghetto, but gives you a feel for the game for free.

And if you are in Vancouver I could run you through some stuff

-SeanO
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nomadic Gamer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardGames with minis:
Worthington Games Napoleonic (IIRC)
Fire and Axe
Axis and Allies
Age of Empires 3
for real miniature games
try hmgs.org
for conventions and othe links.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seano wrote:
While I'm not super familiar on games that are more than just 1v1(I'm sure 2v2 can work) Infinity is an amazing system. I've played Warhammer 40k, Warhammer Fantasy and Warmachine a lot and this system is my favourite by a long shot.

One huge plus is that the rules and the army builder are all free. You don't need that many models(the starter boxes from miniaturemarket.com are around $35ish) which is enough for a starter army and adding a bit(+20-$30) from there you can have a decent army. There are lots of scenarios to keep things interesting. And the rules aren't too tough, but make the game really in depth.

Out of the thing you listed it misses on being Sci-Fi, and I've never played it as 2v2 but it should work. The price vs depth of the game is great.

The one great things about the rules being free is if you have some models of any kind, proxy it up and try some games. Just remember use lots and lots and lots of scenery. Too many open lanes in this game makes everyone stuck camping in cover(as if you move into my line of sight I can shoot you, even on your turn. Hence why it is so interesting to play, really have to plan stuff out)

*edit* Hell... If you have access to a chess set you have enough different looking models to field a small 1v1 army. Kinda ghetto, but gives you a feel for the game for free.

And if you are in Vancouver I could run you through some stuff

-SeanO

Oh wow, didn't realize Infinity was that inexpensive. I've looked at their models before but always thought they were a little pricey. I guess you don't need many of them? Or maybe the price has gone down since I last checked. The rules and army stats being free are a big plus. Might have to give this game another look, as if I need yet another game system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think one big question is: Are you willing to put the time into building and painting your figures? If the answer is no, then you really don't have that many choices. Also, are you looking at a total start-up cost of $60, or $60 per person. One thing many boardgamers have an issue with is that for the price of a game that supports 4-6 players, you often only get enough figures to support 1 or 2 STARTING forces for a minis game. Even games like X-Wing can start to get pricey as you get deeper into them.

Pre-painted games:

Heroclix games are booster sold. You can buy figures pretty readily second hand and avoid the booster, but you're going to need to get maps from somewhere. Rules and power aids can all be found on-line, though. Casual play is great, but organized play tends to favor the deep pockets with access to rare/powerful figures. Coming from M:tG, this should be nothing new to your group.

X-Wing is a very popular game that can be STARTED for about $60, with 2 Core sets. That won't get you very far, and won't support more than 4 players, and even then, barely. It does, however, scale very well, it's fairly easy to play, but rewards good tactics. I find it to be too impacted by good/bad luck. Also be aware that some ftp://aeaftp1.faa.gov/AGL%20Region/CHI%20ADO/GYY%20EIS%20&%2... good expansion cards are only found in certain ship boosters, so you may find yourself buying a ship booster more for the expansion card than for the ship.

Related, Star Trek Attack Wing is nearly as popular as X-Wing. They use the same basic rules, so play one, you know how to play the other, although they are not compatible. Attack Wing favors smaller fleet sizes, so cost is lower than for X-Wing, but still will run each player about $45-$60 to get their fleet up. It doesn't suffer as much in terms of expansion cards like X-Wing can, and has the advantage of including new scenarios in each ship booster, something X-Wing could really benefit from if they were to follow suit. Note that figure quality is lower than in X-Wing, and is terrible in some cases.

As mentioned, later this year, a D&D game based on the same rules will be released. Not much is known about it, other than that it will feature dragons, but will also include ground troops as well.

I don't know much about some of the other games mentioned like Dust Tactics.

If building and painting are things you want/are willing to do...and if you haven't before, bear in mind that buying brushes and paint can get expensive, too...then my advice is:

1) stay away from the Games Workshop line, unless you totally love the figures and the background story. GW is expensive, with rules that need tons of figures, and their rule changes often mean staying current means saying goodbye to using beloved figures in your collection.

2) Consider Warmachine/Hordes....two games that use a compatible rules set. It requires smaller figure counts than GW games, has a solid rules set that strongly favors tactics, scales pretty well, and comes in nice two-player starter boxes that would cost about $35 per person, and contain a nice starting force for both players.

3) Infinity is really popular with the people that play it, but comes with what are considered advanced models that can be tricky to assemble. It also has a more complex rules set than other games, but it's very rewarding once you get the hang of it.

4) Malifaux is recently under new rules, and most like the changes. You play with a smaller number of models per game, but the list building rules mean that you'll still want a large pool of figures to choose from. It's also one of the few games where direct conflict is not always the point of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean O
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
Oph1d1an wrote:

Oh wow, didn't realize Infinity was that inexpensive. I've looked at their models before but always thought they were a little pricey. I guess you don't need many of them? Or maybe the price has gone down since I last checked. The rules and army stats being free are a big plus. Might have to give this game another look, as if I need yet another game system.

I wouldn't say the models are cheap(at around $8-$11 each) but you are right you just don't need that many of them. 300 points is a good sized battle(with 100-150 being good sized starter games). Here are some random full sized lists I grabbed:

http://infinitythegame.com/forum/index.php?/topic/21135-divi...

http://infinitythegame.com/forum/index.php?/topic/20541-a-go...

So, between 10-15 models per side. For a full 300 point army you should expect to pay around $120-$150ish depending on how many models your faction can usually fit into 300 points(my first 300 point Aleph list cost about $135ish). And you should usually start with 100-150 point armies anyways(which arent to hard to get for under $60 with the starter box bundles). Downside to Infinity is that these models are fiddly to get together... but at least the look great

-SeanO

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
kingbobb wrote:
X-Wing ... good expansion cards are only found in certain ship boosters, so you may find yourself buying a ship booster more for the expansion card than for the ship.

If you play casually instead of competitively, you can just print out the cards instead of buying ships you don't need. Also, Imperial Aces and the upcoming wave 4 ships come with an assortment of upgrade cards, so you have purchase alternatives if you are after specific cards (such as Push the Limit). (I hear that X-wing has resisted power creep excellently.)

Keep an eye on sales. I got my core sets with 18.75eur during Christmas, and Target in the US cleared them out at 19USD and even as low as 11USD. Plenty of people took advantage of that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B J
United States
Columbus
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone else should comment on the game AT-43, since I just learned about it yesterday, but it might be worth considering. It's another Sci-fi, out-of-print game that uses pre-painted minis. The rule book and army books can be had for $10 a piece off miniature market, but you can also find free PDFs of them if you look through forum posts on the game page here on BGG.
Looks a little hard to come by. Two player starters sell for ~$80.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warmachine Prime Mk II

or

Hordes Primal Mk II

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Scheuer
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Alain,

I'd like to introduce my own creation here:

Whack & Slaughter

W&S is a miniature manufacturer independent fantasy skirmish game requiring as little as one miniature (that may be taken from ANY publisher's range) per player.
Additionally you will need:
Terrain (of course) and dice (at least 5 per player)

Before each match players create their Hero similar to a character in a RPG. The focus, however, is on combat! With over 200 skills to select from, the possibilities to individualize your Hero are virtually endless.

So, let's see, whether it fits your criteria:

- 2 to 5 players, or at least playable as 2 teams
Check: Either everyone plays with 1-2 miniatures in an all out carnage, or you play in 2 teams with 1-2 minis each in one of the more tactical scenarios (like capture the flag, or king of the hill)

- Maximum of 150 minutes games.
Check: Maps (your playing area is called "Map" as in a video game) are small and combat is usually deadly

- Scalable (can play quick skirmishes with a couple miniatures as well as full-scale epic campaings with massive armies).
Uhmm .. nope, sorry. Not yet, but I'm working on it ..

- Depth (good mix of luck and strategy).
Definetly: As mentioned before, you will design your Hero(s) in advance and tactical moving and thinking will get you further than brainless charging. The luck element comes with the dice.

- Starting price below 60$. I don't mind investing more money as we evolve with the game, but I don't want a collectible game with random boosters.
WAY below: The rules are FREE!! All you need is 1-2 minis per player plus a couple of dice.

- I prefer fantasy/historic settings, but I could go for sci-fi.
Check: It's fantasy

Regarding the campaigns: Well, right now there are no official rules for campaigns, but you are free to invent your own.

The most current rulebook is available via the game's page @ CatZeyeS Entertainment:
http://www.catzeyes.de/blog/?page_id=110

On that page you can even find a "battle book" - a larger print and play map using a grid to move your minis on. It's suitable for "house vs. house" scenarios such as a capture the flag.

Kind regards,
Kai

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Fort Meade
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seano wrote:

Yes on all counts!

Having been a miniatures gamer since 1995 (40K, Warzone, WHFB mostly, but dabbled in a few weird ones that popped off), I was blown away by Infinity. It's very deep, it's got real strategy, and it's pretty damned well balanced. Once you play for awhile you'll understand while the big robots (TAGs) are cool, they're so expensive that it's usually a bit of a burden to take them.

The problem is in the terrain. You need lots. If you have access to a laser printer and free ink, and don't mind wearing holes in your thumbs using scissors, iCubes are a great way to fill your board. We played for months with almost nothing but these.

For a completely tournament-worthy 300 point force, it shouldn't cost you more than about 150 bucks, especially using Miniaturemarket or some other thing. On a whim I did this with the French sectorial, and wound up around 128 bucks for a paratrooper werewolf and his girlfriend, a couple mobile artillery pieces, some base level troopers, two doctors, two engineers, and more. I already had some elite light infantry from a prior purchase, but as it goes, Ariadna is usually more expensive because the models in-game are really cheap.

Every game is different, the campaign in Paradiso is slick, the tournament system is beautiful... the miniatures are fantastic.

So hands-down, this is the one you should look at.

But if you don't have anyone to teach you through a couple games, it'll probably make your head spin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.