Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Schneider
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I finally got Legendary: Paint the Town Red played (only once, but that is enough to review the characters). I love this expansion. I find it much more skill based and I don't believe it has some of the semi-broken combos my brother was pulling off with Fantastic Four (through Focus Drawing, he was essentially skipping a turn and then getting 20+ Attack the subsequent turn).

This expansion focused on Spider-Man and his villains, bringing in Symbiote Spider0man, Scarlet Spider, Spider-woman, Black Cat, and Moon Knight, as well as Carnage and Mysterio. It also introduces two new Mechanics to Legendary: Wall-Crawl and Feast. Wall-Crawl allows you to place a Hero with it on top of your deck upon recruiting it. Which allows for you to either set up your hand for next turn or set-up combos for the current turn. Feast is a villain ability that usually triggers upon Fighting. Feast essentially makes you KO the top card of your deck, often at random. Sometimes this can be beneficial as it can help you lose the starter cards quick and can even KO wounds. Other times though, you can lose some really valuable cards if not careful.

My wife Katie and I played with all the Heroes from the set and had the following board setup: MM: Carnage; Scheme: Splice Humans with Spider DNA; Villians: Maximum Carnage, Sinister Six); Henchman: Maggia Goons (I chose Maggia Goons to allow some deck filtering).

Even though most of the heroes already had Wall-Crawl, the Scheme we used gave every hero Wall-Crawl which was amusing and useful. Because of this, it allowed some really interesting combos as well as planning out turns by buying things off the board first, and then using cards to draw or reveal cards from the top of the deck (which were ones just purchased). It kind of felt like the Heroes gone Aggro, instead of the villain just taking over while we were getting ready. Feasting was a bit frustrating, but because of Wall-crawl and reveal effects, could be played around a bit. And fortunately, Feasting can also KO Wounds since its any card on top of your deck.Final points were me at 34, and Katie at 18. She didn't realize how to combo the cards early, which hurt her a few turns.

My final deck was 2xSHIELD Troopers, 3xSHIELD Agents, 2xSHIELD Officer Maria Hill, 1xBlack Cat (Pickpocket), 1xBlack Cat (Casual Bank Robbery), 1xSymbiote Spiderman (Spider-Sense Tingling), 2xMoon Knight (Climbing Claws), and my MVP was Scarlet Spider with 2xFlip Out (Which were actually bought last turn for combo purposes), 3xPerfect Hunter, 3xLeap from Above, AND 1x Sting of the Spidey. Probably a wound or two also in the deck I must have put away. I also had a couple more Moon Knight cards that got Feasted out, amongst others.

Katie's final deck is as follows: 1xSHIELD Trooper, 3xSHIELD Agent, 1xSHIELD Officer Maria Hill, 2xBlack Cat (Pickpocket), 2xSpider-woman (Bioelectric Shock), 1xSpider-woman (Venom Blast), 3xWounds, and her MVP was Symbiote Spider with 4xDark Strength. She was going for the cheap combo strategy. I pointed out she should save cheap cards in HQ to buy later to Wall-Crawl and then combo with Dark Strength. Her biggest problem was how long it took for some of the cheaper things to show up, since NONE of the Villains escaped and nothing got KO'd from HQ.I guess I should do a quick Hero overview as well (granted not every card was seen during this game): [brackets denote quantity of card in set(Cost to Purchase)]

1) Scarlet Spider(Spider Friends) (Difficulty to Play: Easy)-Scarlet Spider is very Attack Focused (with 9 cards giving Attack), and only the common card Flip Out[5(2)] giving Recruit Points. He is also combo oriented an allows a lot of drawing, with both Flip Out[5(2)] and Perfect Hunter[5(4)] drawing cards(the former requiring a Spider Friends hero to be played first), and Sting of the Spider[1(7)] allowing you to draw cards you place on top of your deck that turn. This draw combos very well with Wall-Crawl in this set, and 13 of Scarlet Spider's cards have Wall-Crawl on them. His uncommon card Leap From Above [3(6)] is just straight power, giving 3 Attack and 2 more attack if an Instinct Hero was played first.

2) Symbiote Spider-Man(Spider Friends) (Difficulty to Play: Hard)-Symbiote Spidey is combo oriented and is built around cheap Recruit cost cards, with all of his own cards costing only 2 Recruit points (a lot like the original Spider-man, but with much less card draw). Both of his commons, Dark Strength[5(2)] and Spider-Sense Tingling[5(2)] reveal cards from your deck looking for 2 or Less costing cards, hoping to chain his cheap effects. These reveals also hope to combo with Wall-Crawl, which is on 8 of the 14 cards. The uncommon Shadowed Spider[3(2)] gets +1 Attack for each other 1 or 2 cost card played this turn, again hoping to stack a load of cards into one turn. And to keep the combos recurring, the rare THWIP![1(2)] gives your 4 Attack at the cost of putting two cards back on top of your deck, which then allows reveal effects to trigger. Symbiote Spiderman takes a lot of work to get his combos going, and also requires a lot of deck filtering. If the board is missing some decent deck filters, his effect get bogged down with the starter cards and anything else purchased.

3) Spider-Woman(Spider Friends) (Difficulty to Play: Medium)-Spider-Woman is also generally combo focused, but is a little more general and is less restrictive than Symbiote Spider-man). Both Bioelectric Shock[5(4)] and Venom Blast[3(6] reveal cards on the top of your deck, but the first is looking for the Attack icon and the second is looking for the Recruit Icon (and both give you Attack by themselves). This more general requirements is easier to set up than Symbiote Spider-Man, but does require some filtering and careful buying. To combo with these cards, her other common Radioactive Spider[5(2)] gives you 3 Recruit Points, but makes you put a card from your hand on top of your deck, hoping to combo with her other cards. Her rare Arachno Pheromones[1(7)] allows you to Recruit Heroes for free (but gives no other bonuses), and possibly put them on top of your deck to combo again with Bioelectric Shock[5(4)] and Venom Blast[3(6)]. She feels a lot of Cyclops from the original game, but plays more with Wall-Crawl, her count being 8 of 14 cards with it. On of her disadvantaged is her stronger cards can be somewhat costly to acquire, taking a bit more time to set up.

4) Black Cat(Spider Friends) (Difficulty to Play: Medium)-From here, the characters are quite a bit different, with only a few effects that connect to the others. Black Cat does have 10 out of 14 cards with Wall-Crawl herself, and does utilize some deck reveal effect, but she works quite a bit different. Pickpocket[5(1)] and Jinx[3(5)] both actually reveal cards from other players decks as well as your own. Pickpocket[5(1)] allows you to choose a player to reveal the top card of their deck, and then you gain attack equal to the Attack+Recruit Point value of that card. You'll often try to target the player who has been acquiring some of the more valuable cards, or combo this will Wall-Crawl. Pickpocket[5(1)] can be this or miss (possibly giving you +0), but it only costs 1 to Recruit. Jinx[3(5)] actually has everyone reveal the top cards of their decks, you choosing whether its discarded or not. You can use this to combo with Pickpock[5(1)] and other reveal effects, filter for your own draw, or, try to help or hurt someone's next turn, depending on how cooperative or competitive you are playing. Black Cat's other cards don't really connect with the Spider people's as much, aside from Casual Bank Robbery[5(4)] having Wall-Crawl. This card gives you 2 Recruit Points, and one more Recruit Point to purchase the Hero in HQ under the Bank Space, which is of course situational. Her rare Cat Burglar [1(8)] is expensive, but gives you a based 5 Attack power, can let you steal other players Bystanders, and then possibly give you +1 Attack for Bystander rescued in a turn. Her second effect is likely to occur often unfortunately, but will combo well if Black Widow and/or Deadpool is in the game.

5) Moon Knight(Marvel Knights) (Difficulty to Play: Easy)-Moon Knight is even a less connected character than Black Cat, his only connection being 10 out of 14 cards have Wall-Crawl, and references to Instinct heroes. Everything but the rare is pretty straight forward. Climbing Claws [5(3)] is a fancier Mariah Hill, which has Wall-Crawling and give you a total of 3 Recruit Points instead of the base 2 if you play a Instinct hero first. The other common, Lunar Communion [5(3)] also has Wall-Crawl, give +2 Attack, and can allow you to KO one of your cards if you defeat Villains on the Rooftops. Sure, that is situational, but can occur often enough to filter a few cards from your deck (and note any card can be KO'd, not just heroes OR wounds). Crescent Moon Darts [3(5)] has a nice base 3 Attack and lets you reveal the top card of the deck and draw it if it's a Tech or Instinct Hero (all of Moon Knight cards are one of the other). Moon Knight is the only hero with Tech cards in this set, but both Symbiote Spider-man and Scarlet Spider have some Instinct Heroes themselves. And then the rare Golden Ankh of Khonshu [1(8)] is costly to acquire, but has a base attack of 6, which is high. It also lets you rescue Bystanders equal to the point value of a villain you defeat in the Rooftops (which could really stack the points). With this card, you can also move a Villain to the Rooftops if you play a Tech hero first, requiring you have other Moon Knight cards if just using this set. Moon Knight's rare is only the card in this set that combos with Black Cat's rare, which would take a lot to set up. Overall Moon Knight's cards are low priced (aside from the rare) and be acquired early enough to get some use out of them quickly.

Well, that's all the Heroes in the set. I didn't feel it necessary to overview the villains, but I could if need be. I am very curious to see how these Heroes will play with other sets, especially using Moon Knight in a strictly Marvel Knight or heavy Tech Hero line up. I was very impressed with this expansion, having yet to be disappointed with anything in Legendary. The game continues to stay strongly thematic, aside from the victory point system, and each character and villain feels just as they should. Just as Galactus demolished the board in the Fantastic Four expansion, Carnage and his Maximum Carnage team eat through your deck, which can be quite deadly and costly. Maybe after another play or two I'll come back with a run down of the villains and schemes in this expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niccolo Machiavelli
United States
I am where I need to be when I need to be.
flag msg tools
“A prince must imitate the fox and the lion, for the lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves."
badge
A life, some would argue, is a series of problems. There’s no denying the truth in that – but why get lost in it? Why not rise above the truth… and lead a good life? Shouldn’t we all look at problems as a chance for us to find… solutions?
mbmbmbmbmb
Great quick review of the heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Burke
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The combo that comes to mind with Scarlet Spider is with Gambit and toss in Wolverine for good measure. Gambit draws 2 cards and puts one on the top of your deck. Draw it again via Scarlet Spider's rare. Play Wolverine's rare to gain +1 Atk for each card drawn. That translates into +3 Atk for having drawn 2 cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy theCritic
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unclechawie wrote:
The combo that comes to mind with Scarlet Spider is with Gambit and toss in Wolverine for good measure. Gambit draws 2 cards and puts one on the top of your deck. Draw it again via Scarlet Spider's rare. Play Wolverine's rare to gain +1 Atk for each card drawn. That translates into +3 Atk for having drawn 2 cards.

I can't wrap my head around this combo mate.

I thought Wolverine's rare triggered a 3 card draw, but you got the bonus attack if you played an instinct card prior...Gambit's "Stack the Deck" is covert, & Scarlet Spider's rare is strength. (I'll double check it when I get home - but normally my memory is pretty good).

This combo has you drawing 6 cards, but getting no bonus attack as you haven't triggered Wolvie's rare properly...yeah?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy theCritic
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jimmythecritic wrote:
Unclechawie wrote:

I thought Wolverine's rare triggered a 3 card draw, but you got the bonus attack if you played an instinct card prior...Gambit's "Stack the Deck" is covert, & Scarlet Spider's rare is strength. (I'll double check it when I get home - but normally my memory is pretty good).

This combo has you drawing 6 cards, but getting no bonus attack as you haven't triggered Wolvie's rare properly...yeah?

But you are correct about it synching nicely with Gambit...& Daredevil!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy theCritic
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jimmythecritic wrote:
Jimmythecritic wrote:
Unclechawie wrote:

But you are correct about it synching nicely with Gambit...& Daredevil!

And countering Mephisto's annoying wound thing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornelius Minor
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this quick review!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.