4 Posts

Löwenherz» Forums » General

Subject: Restrictions about placing boarders (little black bricks) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this game with 3 other people last night and had great fun.

In the last few turns however we discoverd an imbalanced tactic that seems to be allowed by the rules. So I wanted to ask you guys if you think that sort of abuse is allowed or if we misunderstood the rules. This tactic seems to be even more abusable in the early game, but as we played only one time and wanted to have a good time we didn't really try out if this tactic truly is gamebraking, or tried if one could just pick starting locations where this rule doesn't ruin the game.

The tactic goes like this:

When you win the action "place borders" you just place your borders at the edge of the knights of your enemies, like this: boarder->|Knight,Castle. This way you can effectivly prevent your enemy from placing knights in favorable fields. With only 2 borders you could then force your enemy to abandon a once viable spot, because placing knights gets too expensive or impossible (because he can't place a knight at the other side of the border: castle, knight | knight

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
for some reasons I can't post the whole thing at once. so here is part2:

The rules don't seem to say anything against it, they even say explicitly that you can place your borders ANYWHERE on the map (except between Knights, Knight&City or in established regions).
Granted the victim can try to build a bigger border around the obstacle border and then destroy it as it became a redundant border inside a region.

Nevertheless this tactic would make the beginning of the game extremely random (big advantages if you are not among the first victims), would further delay the founding of regions and last but not least would place much more emphasis on getting the "place border" action in the beginning of the game, when it already is the top priority.

This seems to be against the gameflow and that's why I sort of can't believe that it is supported by the rules, or is it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
You gain WAY more points in the game as you expand and annex territory using knight actions than you do holding out for wall actions to make a huge territory to begin with. You're mostly helping your opponent by putting walls close to them; they'll have empty space for the knights soon enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could be right - after all I played this game only one time.

So there is nothing in the rules that forbids this tactic?

I still think it's an exploitable tactic as I see the interest in knights falling rapidly when something like this happens at the start of the game, because you first need to build a region to start expanding with the knight/expand action, meaning you want to close your region with building actions while knight-actions are bordering worthless (keeping in mind you have those obstacles). This would leave the knight-action somehow uncontested to the lucky one(s), who didn't get these obstacles for knight placement thus making the unlucky one(s) fall behind even more. Moreover you need to use a knight-action for expanding first before you can place your knight in the next turn which makes the building-action less contendend for those who already could aquire many knights in the early game (because they weren't confronted with obstacle-borders), as you need those knight actions as quick and as many as possible.

My point is it will be practically impossible to expand your territory quick enough and fill it with knights before the lucky-players close of theirs with so much more knights in it, making it impossible to further expand. Adding to that you will most likley lose much of your territory once those bordering knight-rich regions are closed, while your oponents didn't lose points as long as you were expanding in neutral territory.

This is all speculation of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.