Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonas Albrecht
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In your opinion, of course.

Judging by the preview, the important stuff is coming back. Poker based gameplay, calling out dudes, hexes, etc. I imagine it will be much the same game we all loved. At the moment, all I can think of is that I really hope Events will be back. They were one of my favorite mechanics.

I do have one very specific card I don't want coming back. Ezzie. Her ability to snipe low value dudes effortlessly was a very annoying part of the meta.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
You really liked Events? Random, hand clogging, weak, mechanic breakers to me. If I never saw another Event it wouldn't bother me. What was good about Events? Heavy Rain, It Was A Mountain Lion, Los Diablos Stampede... Those? I think the only ones I ever thought were fun or fair were A Coach Comes To Town and Poker Night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
And yeah. No Ezzie. Ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Albrecht
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:
You really liked Events? Random, hand clogging, weak, mechanic breakers to me. If I never saw another Event it wouldn't bother me. What was good about Events? Heavy Rain, It Was A Mountain Lion, Los Diablos Stampede... Those? I think the only ones I ever thought were fun or fair were A Coach Comes To Town and Poker Night.

I actually really enjoyed that randomness. Though I can imagine it's not something a lot of people liked. I'd totally concede them if they destabilized the game too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
glen.
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha. Eric, I think you make a compelling case against Events -- though in a general sense, I did like them. Even though as I look at my decks, I didn't really use them much. I remember a Sweetrock player who used Christmas Day a lot to pacify others. Meh. Take or leave.

In any case, I was a major Collegium player. I think doing hexes prior to gadgets makes sense (as they're easier to introduce skill checks, do goods and spells separate, then do them together as gadgets), but would love to see their return and ASAP. Also, I'd prefer a Collegium like the last two home cards, getting in there, mixing it up, as opposed to turtling like the original home.

Also, I think the chi/kung-fu stuff was a little weird toward the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:
And yeah. No Ezzie. Ever.

And I'll beat Eric to the punch and say "just say No to global discounts on costs" e.g. Dixie Rails type Outfits
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
Stairway scare, Dan Dare, who's there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Where can i see the preview? Are they gonna keep the graphics?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Albrecht
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
yeeshkul wrote:
Where can i see the preview? Are they gonna keep the graphics?

http://gamatradeshow.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=t4b1tH6RF...

Page 36.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Sheffield
United States
Aberdeen
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think events are interesting but maybe they could be used as a secondary deck.

Ohhh, how about this an event deck could be created for each major event that happens such as Madman's Secret, Knicknevin arrives, etc. At the beginning of each turn one card is flipped. Needs more thought but I tihnk that woulld be interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Events are just fine and so would be Ezzie. Events must be just well designed, not like It was a Mountain Lion or such. Ezzie was fun, she is just not a necessary card to stick in the starter ... maybe later.
I loved the game so much, i just pray they don't screw up the reloading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
yeeshkul wrote:

I'm sure there will be people who like a new direction and people who don't. None of these relaunch games come without changes, but usually 2.0 has been much better than 1.0 - that was certainly the case with Netrunner, for example.

I wouldn't wonder if the huge success with Netrunner isn't prompting a lot of popular but discontinued CCGs to take a look at the LCG market. And AEG has many of the games in that category. I wouldn't be surprised to see someone take a stab at Vampire: The Eternal Struggle or Shadowfist.

Edit: Yeah... don't know what's up with V:tES, but Shadowfist is already doing this. Surprised they're so weak in promotions about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Chan
United States
Conway
SC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What shouldn't come back? The Ghost. Just stay dead already!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:
yeeshkul wrote:

I'm sure there will be people who like a new direction and people who don't. None of these relaunch games come without changes, but usually 2.0 has been much better than 1.0 - that was certainly the case with Netrunner, for example.

Changes don't bother me unless there are too many. Also, i love that they keep the old graphics, or at least it seems they do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
I am interested to hear how AEG intends to "streamline" the game. Because by the time the CCG ended, there were certainly a lot of abilities to keep track of & a lot of thematic things going on. Makes me wonder what got kept, and what didn't make the cut.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy P
United Kingdom
Malvern
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can confirm the game plays a little faster than before, but still retains the feel and a lot of the mechanics of the old game, no question. (but in the interests of not breaking NDA etc, no more details).

The problem with the game when they retired it before was more the power creep in my opinion. The last couple of sets were just a bit over the top.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Forrey
United States
Dallastown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's still the king of multiplayer CG's it will be a win IMO. That is the one big thing the game always had going for it. I also look forward to the humor and cool story lines that develop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Brooks
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Some are born to move the world To live their fantasies But most of us just dream about The things we'd like to be Sadder still to watch it die Than never to have known it For you, the blind who once could see The bell tolls for thee...
mbmbmbmbmb
I could do without events. I could do without the "lose to win" cards as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.