Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Townshend
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This was my sixth painted fleet, the Terran Alliance (black).
I began with the Terran Federation (blue), moved on to the Terran Union (green) and Terran Directorate (red), before completely botching the Terran Republic (yellow) due to a bad paint pot, and then barely salvaging the Terran Conglomerate (white). The Terran Alliance, being the black-colored ships, provided a nice break from the unforgiving lighter shades--yellow and white.

The portrait of the Terran Alliance representative in the Eclipse rulebook wears a golden badge with an inset star design. I considered attempting to put these designs on the wings of my dreadnoughts, but a) I didn't have gold paint at the time, and b) I have enough trouble just hitting the details that exist on the model without worrying about freeform painting. I may do it someday, but not for now.

As I recall, I used gun metal paint on top of black primer for these ships. I imagined that the Alliance ships were plated with a special alloy, which you might use to justify a tech upgrade, i.e. shields, hulls, or the rare stealth tech. I like the way the cruisers look like bats.

Terran Alliance Interceptors

Terran Alliance Cruisers

Terran Alliance Dreadnoughts

Terran Alliance Fleet

iPhone photo of the fleet

Thanks again to Maruk, Garyjames, and the others who have posted photos of their own fleets, shown examples, and given great painting advice.

Drammattex's Painted Fleets: Eclipse and Ship Pack One (Complete)
Drammattex's Painted Fleets: Terran Union
Drammattex's Painted Fleets: Terran Directorate
Drammattex's Painted Fleets: Terran Conglomerate
Drammattex's Painted Fleets: Terran Alliance
Drammattex's Painted Fleets: Rho Indi Syndicate/Terran Separatists
Drammattex's Painted Fleets: Orion Hegemony
Drammattex's Painted Fleets: Mechanema
Drammattex's Painted Fleets: Planta
Drammattex's Painted Fleets: Terran Federation and Hydran Progress
Drammattex's Painted Fleets: Terran Republic and Descendants of Draco
Drammattex's Painted Fleets: The Eridani Empire
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
COAT Christophe
France
Plouvorn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Townshend
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joaq Almirante
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Drammattex,

Awesome work! I was wondering if I could ask for a little more detail on how you painted the gun metal parts of the ship. I'm looking into painting my Eclipse ships as well, but I've kinda never painted anything before and am afraid to mess up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Townshend
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
profwacko wrote:
Awesome work! I was wondering if I could ask for a little more detail on how you painted the gun metal parts of the ship. I'm looking into painting my Eclipse ships as well, but I've kinda never painted anything before and am afraid to mess up.

Thanks, Joaq! It took me a couple fleets before I figured out that the best way was to paint the engines and the guns BLACK. Then, I'd drybrush them with silver. This way, the black still showed through at the seams and lines, and it gave the engines a used look, as though they'd seen a lot of action.

If you're asking about the gun metal paint on the main parts of these ships, I first spray-primed the ships with black primer. Then I drybrushed the ships with gun metal paint (which works similar to what I described above regarding the guns and engines).

If I recall correctly, I didn't do this as much on the red Terran Directorate ships or the white Terran Conglomerate ships because I wanted them to look a little newer and better maintained. One of the most rewarding parts of painting was thinking about the stories behind the factions.

Hope that helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joaq Almirante
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ohh. Interesting. I'll try that out.

When you say painted the engines (I'm assuming the back part) and guns black, does that mean you painted them with a second layer of black paint after the primer? Or is that just the spray primer?

Thanks for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Townshend
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just the black primer on these. On other ships, I sprayed them with different colored primer so I painted the guns black first on those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.