Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Emergency Medical Hologram (Equinox) counts as either a CREW or TECH upgrade (your choice). When do I have to make that decision? Am I locked into that decision for the rest of the game?

Noah Lessing (Equinox) has an ability that requires you to perform an action, disable him, and disable a TECH upgrade to target a ship at range 2 and disable 1 of its active shields.

If I added Noah Lessing and the Emergency Medical Hologram using crew slots to a ship that has no tech slot, can I still use Noah Lessing and disable the Emergency Medical Hologram when I use his ability? Or is the Emergency Medical Hologram always CREW for now on, and never TECH?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My understanding is that you must choose which type of upgrade is is when you are setting up your fleet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its a really interesting question actually. EMH doesn't ever actually specify when you need to make the choice, or more specifically, whether the choice is made a single time or multiple times during a game.

My instincts agree that the choice is made during the fleet build and stays that way. But I can see how it could be argued otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no stipulation on timing ("When equipping EMH, it may count as either...") which would lead to the implicit assumption that it can go back and forth between either during the game.

That being said, if the intent is that he can flip-flop between roles (which makes sense) there would have been much better ways to word the card so that it was explicit.

So, basically, the card is worded in an ambiguous way and the answer is, like so many other questions, "wait for Andrew."

That being said, I've always assumed he can flip-flop between tech/crew roles as needed, because he's a much more interesting card that way. Otherwise, he's not very good (though he's not very good even with flip-flopping available). But, a problem with that, is WHO decides WHEN he's a crew or a tech? Can an opponent use a crew-ganker or a tech-breaker to discard the EMH, even if he had been equipped in the other slot?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RogueThirteen wrote:
But, a problem with that, is WHO decides WHEN he's a crew or a tech? Can an opponent use a crew-ganker or a tech-breaker to discard the EMH, even if he had been equipped in the other slot?

Well, it's definitely your choice and never your opponent's. But if you can choose at any given time, then he would be effectively immune to both these effects. You can't send an Engineer to delete him (because he's crew) nor can you send a Klingon to run him through with a Bat'leth (because he's tech). Khan could still kidnap him though. (Because Khan could steal any upgrade.)

If you go by the card text, it seems like that's a passive ability that's always active which suggests to me that you can make the choice whenever you want. However, I can definitely see how it could be interpreted to be "just during setup".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kay
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Judging from the fact that you have to specify on your fleet sheet when building a fleet for a tournament what kind of upgrade each one is, I'd bet it's the building phase. Otherwise, yeah, it's kind of awesome he can just pick and choose how to be classified at will.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
FortuneFavorTheBold wrote:
Judging from the fact that you have to specify on your fleet sheet when building a fleet for a tournament what kind of upgrade each one is, I'd bet it's the building phase. Otherwise, yeah, it's kind of awesome he can just pick and choose how to be classified at will.

Specifying when building your fleet is my guess also.
The EMH simply allows you the flexibility of using it in either upgrade slot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Quixotic Games: www.quixoticgames.com
badge
Dungeon Alliance: Available Now!
mbmbmbmbmb
EMH's slot is indeed determined during Fleet Building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Campbell
Australia
Monterey
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can it swap from Tech to Crew and vice versa if it goes in and out of the Reinforcements Sideboard?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Quixotic Games: www.quixoticgames.com
badge
Dungeon Alliance: Available Now!
mbmbmbmbmb
MontyBell wrote:
Can it swap from Tech to Crew and vice versa if it goes in and out of the Reinforcements Sideboard?

No. If it starts on the Reinforcements Sideboard in a particular slot, it remains that way for the remainder of the game. In other words, regardless of whether it starts on a ship or on the Sideboard, its slot is determined at the start of the game, and should be recorded as such on your Fleet Sheet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.