Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Store Championship 3/16 - Chicago[land] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cletus Van Damme

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmb
Today I played at a store championship event in...well lets call it Chicago for you international people. It's really an adjacent suburb no one will have heard of and for those of us inside the 'ol 294 its what we call "close enough" Anyway after bombing 4 consecutive practice games with a variety of lists last weekend I decided to go with the ever effective strategy of "throw a bunch of ships at them" and went with:
Blue Squad x3
Prototype x2

Round 1
Han 46 (58)
-Marksmanship 3
-Gunner 5
-Chewy 4

Rookie X-wing x2

I setup first in the middle of my side he took the right edge of his. Right off the bat he guns it 4 forward so I pretty much expect the same thing next round and position my A-wing cannon fodderuhhh I mean blockers and manage to get all 3 of his ships blocked for the first combat round. I burn off Han and a rookies shields and only lose a couple of my own. A rookie goes down next round and I manage to keep Han and the remaining Rookie pretty well blocked the rest of the game and with no Marksmanship his mostly focus rolls aren't putting any real pressure on my 32 hit points. Han bites it and so does the last X-wing right after. All my ships are left alive. Full win 100-0

Round 2
Krassis (54)
-assault missles 5
-autoblaster 5
-Ad Proton torps 6
-seismic charge 2

Jonus (24)
-seismic 2

Scimitar (22)
-Seismic 2
-Cluster missiles 4

My setup is in the middle slightly more spread out than usual as 3 seismic charges and assault missiles is not a trap I want to fall into. My strat is basically thread the asteroid field and burn a bomber first as I really dont want him to be able to bring out all 3 of those seismics. Krassis will be forced to circle around the densely packed middle if he wants to get his APT off so I can worry about him later. He plinks away with his 2 attack bombers first combat round and I take out the scimitar with concentrated fire. 1 seismic averted. yay. On the 3rd or so combat I tighten up my ships a little too much and misjudge an A-wings K-turn distance and get caught up in a pretty mean Seismic blast. Actually 2, he dumped both, and I hand over 5-6 dmg like an total idiot.
"hey I have 3 bombs"
"ok i wont fall for that trick then!"
*immediately proceeds to get 4 ships caught in the blast radius* shake

Jonus with no tricks left up his sleeve explodes soon after. I have 5 ships to his Firespray and we're both pretty close to my edge of the map so I say screw it and just flood every possible spot he can move to because I dont want the possibility of eating a APT. Through regular fire I lose a B-wing and with 3 or so hull left on Krassis time is called. I get a modified win taking out 54 points of his while losing only 22 of mine. 2-0

While waiting for the next rounds pairings the organizer/score keeper comes up and tells us the tournaments over, we have a winner. Uh.... ok. Another player went 2-0 with 2 full wins and apparently 2 rounds is enough as theres no finals at all. He wins because hes the only person to go undefeated with full wins whereas me and another player only have 1 full win and 1 modified win. Cool. Seems kinda odd for a 10 person tournament to be over that quick. Im tied for 2nd place and play a 3rd round to determine 2nd/3rd, two other people play for 4th/5th and everyone else just kinda sits around.

Round 3
Biggs
Red Squad X-wing
Dagger Squad B-wing -w/ Ad Sensors x2

I setup for a joust as Im kinda just feeling like well I got my Ten Numb card...if I win this game I dont even care. We joust, I block with my As and lose one of them. Biggs takes some fire but lives. Next round she 2 turns toward the middle as my ships are 3 deep in front of her with no chance of a 2 K-flip. I get a nice position behind her ships with mine and take out Biggs and an X-wing while losing my last A-wing. Out of our 5 remaining B-wings I get better board coverage with my firing arcs and everyone stressed I take out another Dagger. Finally she parks on top of an asteroid and I finish things off. Full will. She loses 100 I lose 34. 3-0

We wait around for a bit for 4th and 5th to be decided and I get a card box for coming in 2nd. Oh well theres still another store championship to go in my area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
How did you go 3-0 and come in 2nd?

If there were enough people to end up with 2 3-0 people, there should have been a 4th round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cletus Van Damme

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmb
killerardvark wrote:
How did you go 3-0 and come in 2nd?

If there were enough people to end up with 2 3-0 people, there should have been a 4th round.

No clue. There were 10 people total. At the end of round 2 three of us were 2-0. They claimed he was the winner because he had 2 full wins and we only had 1 full win and a modified win. There was no explanation to why there was no finals or elimination or anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John DiMaggio
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Where about in Chicagoland is this? I'm from Park Ridge, my girlfriend is from Batavia .

Sorry to hear about your experience, I'd say that should have at least gone 4 rounds of Swiss with 10+ players. If they were cutting to elimination rounds like that, they need to make that clear before the tournament starts. The recommendation is 4 rounds without an elimination cut; see: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/organized-play..., 3rd page, the chart in the middle. With "Number of Players" between 9-16, it is recommended to have 4 rounds of swiss.

It sounds like they sprung the championship cut on ya in the middle of the tournament, which isn't really proper, see bottom of 1st paragraph on page 3,"If the TO intends to cut to elimination play at the end of the tournament, he must announce this decision before the tournament starts."

If ya know the TO in a casual sense, you might want to bring it up. But if ya don't I'm not sure it's worth your trouble. I'd just be aware of the sloppiness that the store runs their tournaments for future events, unfortunately . Hope this helps, best of luck next time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stone
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Stone is the name and Art is my game!
badge
What number are we thinking of? 69!
mbmbmbmbmb
With 10 people, there should be 4 rounds, something rotten in Denmark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Shazbot wrote:
Today I played at a store championship event in...well lets call it Chicago for you international people. It's really an adjacent suburb no one will have heard of and for those of us inside the 'ol 294 its what we call "close enough"

Which store was this? I thought I knew of all the championships in the Chicago area, but I don't think I heard of this one. Not that I would have gone, but I'm curious.

And, you got royally screwed. That is not how to run a Swiss tournament, especially since they were evidently more than willing to run a third round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cletus Van Damme

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmb
Pastimes in Niles

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy betsch
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Yeah... your TO screwed you and everyone who was not that 2-0 guy. I want to assume corruption (the 2-0 was probably the TO's friend and the TO wanted to hook him/her up) but since I don't know the full story can't say that was the case. Still, I'd reccomend teaching that TO the error of his/her way prior to attending any other tournament at that location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.