12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: NASA: the end of the world as we know it? .... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Exceptio probat regulam
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/earth-insight/2014/ma...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Wunderlin
United States
Sylvania
oh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. I'm now dumber for having read that.

In other news, NASA budgets are bloated with non-scientific studies outside the parameters of Aeronautics and Space.

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sum up...there are always more pitchforks than crowns

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exceptio probat regulam
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Altair IV wrote:
That's just part of the context.

The article is interesting because of the mechanism it describes, and the data on resource (over)use. Both are independent of era and technology.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
shaftdiggity wrote:

In other news, NASA budgets are bloated with non-scientific studies outside the parameters of Aeronautics and Space.

meeple

Hey, what's bad for the World is bad for NASA
;-)

I'm surprised NASA didn't include threats to our power grid. One good solar storm could take years to recover from - blowing out substations, satellites, etc.

Also, it came out last week that terrorists can apparently easily take down our power grid:

The U.S. could suffer a coast-to-coast blackout if saboteurs knocked out just nine of the country's 55,000 electric-transmission substations on a scorching summer day, according to a previously unreported federal analysis.

The study by the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission concluded that coordinated attacks in each of the nation's three separate electric systems could cause the entire power network to collapse...
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB1000142405270230402010...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
Well duh, Agent Smith prophesied this years ago:

Quote:
Agent Smith: I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You're a plague and we are the cure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
tesuji wrote:
shaftdiggity wrote:

meeple

Hey, what's bad for the World is bad for NASA
;-)

I'm surprised NASA didn't include threats to our power grid. One good solar storm could take years to recover from - blowing out substations, satellites, etc.

Also, it came out last week that terrorists can apparently easily take down our power grid:

The U.S. could suffer a coast-to-coast blackout if saboteurs knocked out just nine of the country's 55,000 electric-transmission substations on a scorching summer day, according to a previously unreported federal analysis.

The study by the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission concluded that coordinated attacks in each of the nation's three separate electric systems could cause the entire power network to collapse...
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB1000142405270230402010...

Good thing they'll never find out. ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Stein
msg tools
gyc365 wrote:
Altair IV wrote:

The article is interesting because of the mechanism it describes, and the data on resource (over)use. Both are independent of era and technology.

They really, really aren't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exceptio probat regulam
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
CaffeineBot wrote:
gyc365 wrote:
Altair IV wrote:

They really, really aren't.
Supporting arguments? (check with the article first though)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
"The significance of a person's life is determined by the story they believe themselves to be in." - Wendell Berry "If nothing lies beyond the pale of death, then nothing of value lies before it." - SMBC
badge
Thy mercy, my God, is the theme of my song, the joy of my heart and the boast of my tongue. Thy free grace alone, from the first to the last, has won my affection and bound my soul fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say that it does seem rather outside what they are funded for. It does not invalidate what the findings are however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exceptio probat regulam
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
Well duh, Agent Smith prophesied this years ago:

Quote:
Agent Smith: I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. [...]
This is a common pattern for animals too.

Agent Smith chose to ignore something important about looking at systems as a whole: if they're both complex and stable, some form of equilibrium has already formed between the elements. It didn't start out that way.

Smaller groups of people can still run into problems, but the entire human population hasn't been at risk, just parts of it. In a sense, it hasn't mattered that humans haven't achieved a long-term global equilibrium, because there have always been backup populations (considering only the last few thousand years of course - 20+ thousand years ago the situation was different).

But the planet is filling up, and its distinct parts are interconnected and interdependent. Some time quite soon, for the first time ever, there will be a possibility for global economic collapse (**).

It's comparable to the potential for serious damage via nuclear weapons: it doesn't have to happen, but it's become possible.

It would be foolish to ignore the possibility, and foolish not to look at history for insight into on expected human behavior as the environment becomes constrained.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Santayana
Quote:
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it

(**)
Note that collapse in this context is distinct from minor issues like the 2008 financial crisis. Collapse means that the "carrying power" of the environment changes. In economic terms this doesn't have to imply that a lot of people die. But it could easily mean a world in which the middle classes couldn't afford to buy a car.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.