Jon Vallerand
Canada
St-Basile-Le-Grand
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So after recently acquiring and playing Cosmic Encounter, my group decided to play a game with only aliens who offer you a different way to win, and while it's been interesting, clearly that isn't the way the game was designed to be played, and you could feel it during the game. We're looking at games which would be designed with that sort of mechanism in mind, rather than just including them.

So we're looking for games that either:
a) allow players for a WIN NOW clause, with each player having a different one;

AND/OR

b) a scoring mechanism where things are worth different amounts to different people.

I've played game with each of these: Werewolf is an example of a), especially the Ultimate Werewolf: Ultimate Edition, and Lords of Waterdeep has the hidden Lord mechanism. However, I dislike the ungamy-ness of Werewolf, and LotW, while a fine, fine game, is a rather weak example of what I want.

If what I'm asking for isn't clear, here is an example of both, using twists on well-known games:

a) if in Ticket to Ride, every one plays the same color, and each has 1 of the long paths to complete: first to link those cities wins.

b) In Agricola, you know that scoring card? Every one has a different one, so that sheep are worth as much as cattle to me, but I barely make points from veggies.

(Please don't make this a discussion about how bad these spinoffs would be. Or how good.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duffy
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mr Worf.....Fire!
mbmbmbmbmb
a) sounds like TransAmerica

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Hihn
Germany
Walddorfhäslach
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Suburbia has a similar mechanic like the one you mentioned in Lords of Waterdeep. In the beginning of the game you get two hidden goals from which you select one to keep. But if the mechanic in LotW isn't exactly what you're looking for the Suburbia-mechanic wont be exactly your thing neither.

7 Wonders kinda develops its own scoring for every player during the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kieren Medley
United States
Brady
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Archipelago is one that comes to mind. Every player gets a card at the beginning of the game that will give each player a different ending game condition. It also gives you different end game scoring for certain things done throughout the game, but everyone is in competition for those points. The thing is all of this is kept secret during the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duffy
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mr Worf.....Fire!
mbmbmbmbmb
DiceSpec wrote:
Archipelago is one that comes to mind. Every player gets a card at the beginning of the game that will give each player a different ending game condition. It also gives you different end game scoring for certain things done throughout the game, but everyone is in competition for those points. The thing is all of this is kept secret during the game.

Also similar is Discworld: Ankh-Morpork with hidden, game winning goals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy E
msg tools
mbmbmb
Chrononaughts begins by giving each player two cards with their own personal win conditions (if they meet the conditions of either card, the game ends and they win).

In Tales of the Arabian Nights, the game continues until a player gets a total of 20 story and destiny points. The players choose the combination of story points and destiny points (adding up to 20) at the beginning of the game, so although the number of points everybody has is public information, nobody knows the other players' win conditions.

There are a variety of games that have one player against the rest, with separate win conditions for the single player and for the group. Some examples are Pandemic with the On the Brink expansion (with one player playing as a bio-terrorist), or Letters from Whitechapel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Grildensnork wrote:
DiceSpec wrote:

Yes absolutely, different types of ways to win, not just different ways to get your points. Draw Commander Vimes as your character, and whilst others are battling for different forms of area control, you just keep the game ticking over until you get through the desk of cards to instantly win for example. very clever I thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark C
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Antiquity allows you to pick your win condition during the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Suprised no one mentioned Fluxx and it's bajillion versions as it is the king of "win now". Granted it is also very "ungamy".

There are of course many games that have difference victory conditions for different players such as Dune, City of Remnants or the COIN series games like A Distant Plain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob P
msg tools
CO₂ starts off everyone with a different goal card that leads to different scoring at the end of the game.

And it is a pretty, pretty looking game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rabid Schnauzer
msg tools
Sounds like you are describing Steve Jackson's classic Illuminati and all the various updated editions of it. There's an overall win condition (total groups controlled), but each cabal has their own unique victory condition (have all alignments, have X money, have destroyed X groups, etc)

Less interesting but still relevant is the oldie, dated and kinda kiddie Careers, in which each player starts the game by secretly writing down which combination of Money + Fame + Happiness (which must sum to 60) they set as their victory condition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Cottage Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Chaos in the Old World has variable player powers and win conditions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ericbjohnson wrote:

Chaos in the Old World has variable player powers and win conditions.

Yeah, I was about to mention that. It's not quite what the OP specified, in that everyone technically gets victory points the same way (barring player-specific upgrades like Khorne's murder-for-VPs card), but everyone has their own unique dial advancement condition that lets them turn their dial which leads to an alternate, non-VP victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Taylor
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Innovation, and it's expansions, have this mechanic in spades. You can possibly (and usually will) win by achievements before the insta-win advancements start coming out, but once the game gets into the 8+ age range, there are a lot of 'If you fulfill this criteria, you win.' type cards. It makes dragging the game out a good strategy if you are behind, because there's a decent chance you could get a lucky draw.

...and that's my biggest complaint about Innovation: it is very luck dependent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
grump lemon
United States
Pennsylvania!
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
Grildensnork wrote:
DiceSpec wrote:

Yes absolutely, different types of ways to win, not just different ways to get your points. Draw Commander Vimes as your character, and whilst others are battling for different forms of area control, you just keep the game ticking over until you get through the desk of cards to instantly win for example. very clever I thought.

+1 for Discworld: Ankh-Morpork. It's especially neato that there's a range of types of goals beyond area control, as TheRocketSurgeon mentioned -- so other roles depend on money, cards, threat, etc. Think this makes it more interesting than LoW where all but one of the goals are the same type (points for certain quests).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game has 4 victory conditions with a race to achieve them. Each player starts off with a different civ that, while technically any player can win by any of the conditions, the civ chosen does nudge them towards a specific victory path

+1 to the GMT COIN Series

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
When you are playing with Cylon Leader (mainly 4- and 6-player games), BSG has different winning conditions for Humans and Cylons, and a variable one for the Cylon Leader (either with Pegasus expansion a random Agenda with two conditions is fulfilled, or with Daybreak 3 out of 4 Motives are fulfilled and 2 of them specify the allegiance of the winning side).

+1 Discworld: Ankh-Morpork.

In Shadow Hunters the Neutrals have their own winning conditions apart from Shadows and Hunters (who have a fixed one, and two fixed ones for a 7-player game).

You might also check out One Night Ultimate Werewolf, where you may not know your winning condition for certain. (You know as who you started with, but could've changed roles during the night phase.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Vallerand
Canada
St-Basile-Le-Grand
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to everyone. I've looked at all of them, and Discworld and Archipelago are particularly spot on. Crononaughts and Innovation also respect what I'm looking for, but somehow don't seem that interesting of a game...

Keep 'em coming, if you have more ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Discworld: Ankh-Morpork - It's exactly what you're looking for. And it's fun to boot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Russian Railroads has a plethora of different ways to accumulate scoring. All of these paths are available to all players at the start of the game, but very quickly, as the game progresses, each player will have to focus what's important to them.

The game has a scoring system where different things will vary in worth to each player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Shipyard might be a good option. Each player gets a number of secret goal cards that give you bonus points for different things on your ships/in your fleet. Depending on the number of players, you select which goal cards you want to keep after a specified number of rounds. My boyfriend and I love this game -- it has a surprising amount of theme for a euro and I think it doesn't get nearly the attention it deserves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are some of my FAVORITE types of games. As others have stated, Archipelago and Discworld are GREAT for this.

Someone mentioned Dune, but I'd chime in that you probably can't find that, but it was reprinted as Rex: Final Days of an Empire and is a fantastic game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trieste is a fast little card game if you have exactly 3 players where everyone does completely different things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dave
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Came here to mention Antiquity and The Great Zimbabwe

Antiquity has the possibility that each player has a unique win condition.

While in TGZ everyone is racing to reach the VP requirement to win the game, the interesting twist is that each person's VP requirement may be different (and almost certainly will be). In this game, the VP requirement is proportional to the power you have in the game, so the more powerful you are, the more VP you have to earn to win the game. It's a neat twist on the variable win condition mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here I Stand?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.