8 Posts

Level 7 [Omega Protocol]» Forums » Rules

Subject: Changing facing during "Fire" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Radek Brzana
Poland
flag msg tools
I have a short question: can a commando change his facing before making an attack granted by Team Leader's "Fire" kit card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Mccabe
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
im no expert, but i believe the rule on "facing" dictates that a commando can only change facing before or after their own action, and since it's not their turn and it's not their action i'd say no.

but i could be totally wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Aganov
msg tools
If I remember correctly the card lets a commando to make an attack action, so yes - the basic rule is that you may change commando's facing before or after the action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the card for reference:

I'm going to have to agree with Steve, the action being taken is by the Team Leader not the firing commando, so no you cannot change stance. Not sure what was intended, but the rules as written wouldn't allow a facing change.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Aganov
msg tools
Quote:
A figure’s facing can be changed during its activation at the beginning or end of an action. Changing facing does not cost adrenaline.
If a commando is allowed to take a move action during another player’s
turn, he can change his facing before or after the move without increasing
his adrenaline at that time.
When a commando performs an attack action, he increases his adrenaline
by two. He then chooses what weapon he will use and the target of the
attack. Next he determines if the target is within his line of sight. He
then makes an attack roll with the dice granted by his weapon and any
abilities, and he determines if the roll has damaged the target.
If an ability allows a commando to make a free attack, he does not
increase his adrenaline by the normal cost of two for that attack. This
does not affect any additional adrenaline costs, such as for aiming.

Basically I see this situation as usual action.
"It's activation" I believe means that figure gets an ability to make an action - not specifically "during it's turn", so a free action counts. Moreover the card says that commando "makes an attack" - and one of available actions is named "attack", so in my opinion the rules of changing facing are applicable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maros Miscik
Slovakia
flag msg tools
I'd go with shnar and Steve on this one.
I believe that there is difference between "Make an attack" and "Take an attack action".

Even the rules that you quoted support this argument:
"A figure’s facing can be changed during its activation at the beginning or end of an action."
When is the commando active/when does the activation take place? During the Commando Activation phase, in the order of initiative. Therefore, there is only one active comando at a time. He choses an action and can also change his facing. In this particular example it is undisputably Team Leader. If it were an Interrupt ability, then I would not be so sure, but this is definitely Team Leader's action that allows another commando to shoot

There is, however one exception, as follows in your quote:

"If a commando is allowed to take a move action during another player’s
his adrenaline at that time."

This case includes "move action", whereas the former only talks about "ranged attack".

The next paragraph "When a commando performs an attack action,..." talks about "attack action" taken by the active commando during the Commando activation phase, this beeing again Team Leader.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cuesta
Ecuador
Guayaquil
Select One...
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say its allowed.

The only exception when making a free attack is that it doesn't cost adrenaline, in every toher regard is works as any other attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Aganov
msg tools
lord silenoz wrote:
I'd go with shnar and Steve on this one.
I believe that there is difference between "Make an attack" and "Take an attack action".

Even the rules that you quoted support this argument:
"A figure’s facing can be changed during its activation at the beginning or end of an action."
When is the commando active/when does the activation take place? During the Commando Activation phase, in the order of initiative. Therefore, there is only one active comando at a time. He choses an action and can also change his facing. In this particular example it is undisputably Team Leader. If it were an Interrupt ability, then I would not be so sure, but this is definitely Team Leader's action that allows another commando to shoot

There is, however one exception, as follows in your quote:

"If a commando is allowed to take a move action during another player’s
his adrenaline at that time."

This case includes "move action", whereas the former only talks about "ranged attack".

The next paragraph "When a commando performs an attack action,..." talks about "attack action" taken by the active commando during the Commando activation phase, this beeing again Team Leader.

I see it a bit different.
At first, it seems logical to me from the point of game balance. A normal attack cost is 2 adrenaline, to use this ability you have to pay exactly the same amount, moreover, for this price you can make only ranged attack (and sometimes melee attack is preferable), this ability works only in the certain distance, and Team Leader is pretty limited during his turn, 'cause he has to spent on it from 1/3 to 1/2 of his allowed amount of adrenaline. I think that all these disadvantages is a fair price for a free attack.
At second, in the rulebook attack action is usually named simply as an "attack", and in the "terms" section free attack is described as usual attack but without paying it's cost.
Quote:
free attack:
A free attack does not increase adrenaline as normal. This does not reduce the cost of abilities used during the attack, such as aiming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.