Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Rebel Swarm Tactics? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
commuter zombie
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any effective 4 ship Rebel builds using Swarm Tactics? I've been playing around with the existing rebel option for swarm tactics and I'm finding it difficult to build an effective list. The upcoming GR-75 box (with Porkins and R2-D6) is about to make it much easier but in the meantime the best I've managed is:

============
Jump The Gun
============
100 points

Pilots
------

- Roark Garnet (25)
HWK-290 (19), Ion Cannon Turret (5), Intelligence Agent (1)
- Ibtisam (33)
B-Wing (28), Advanced Sensors (3), Swarm Tactics (2)
- Rookie Pilot (21)
- Rookie Pilot (21)

With this I can either have 1 PS12 shot and two PS 6 shots or two PS12 shots, all with 3/4 red (depending on range 1).

There's decent offense, control from the Ion Cannon Turret and the Intelligence agent has helped me get Ibtisam in the right place with a barrel roll a couple of times.

What are people's thoughts on this list or using swarm tactics in rebel builds?

EDIT - In case it's not clear why Porkins/R2-D6 are so important to a Rebel Swarm Tactics build, this is what you can do with them:

Roark Garnet (19)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)

Jek Porkins (26)
Swarm Tactics (2)
R2 Astromech (1)

Tarn Mison (23)
R2-D6 (1)
Swarm Tactics (2)

Rookie Pilot (21)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A list I have flown against, which seemed to work fairly well...

Wedge - Swarm (31)
Roark - Blaster and recon (26)
B-wing (22)
X-wing (21)

The one variation that I would make is swapping out blaster for ion and giving the B-wing a FCS.

Overall, you are firing at PS 12 and then 2 PS 9 and PS 4. Not a bad line up. Keeping wedge to the back helps force harder targeting decisions. I have not flown the list personally yet, but is on my list to try before store championship

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Aguirre
United States
Rochester Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had some success with this 100 point squad:

- Roark Garnet flying the Moldy Crow with a blaster turret
- Wedge Antilles with an R2 astromech and Swarm Tactics
- 2 Rookie X-wing pilots

I fly the rookies side-by-side with Wedge following close behind. Then I have Roark off to the side a ways. The rookies are usually among the first to move and then I can make one of them a PS 9 and the other a PS 12, so they then also become among the first to shoot.

In one match, I was able to take down Lando in a couple of turns when he flew right in the middle of my 3 X-wings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mitchell
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FriendFive wrote:
I've had some success with this 100 point squad:

- Roark Garnet flying the Moldy Crow with a blaster turret
- Wedge Antilles with an R2 astromech and Swarm Tactics
- 2 Rookie X-wing pilots

This looks like a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Raz
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to use HWKs in tournaments really badly but I'm just worried about how frail they are and how bad their movement is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a support ship, they work very, very well. I feel like you have to run them with either ion or blaster to be effective. Off topic to the OP, I have seen the following squad that work extremely well.

Jan + squad leader
GSP + assault missle + deadeye
Garvin
X-wing or B-wing

If you use the X-wing, can either get init or get astro mech. It is a big alpha strike -
GSP moves and takes focus
Garven moves and focus
Jan moves and give GSP action who is then able to TL someone
X/B wing does whatever

GSP gets to fire assault missles using deadeye with the focus passed from Garven, original focus, plus TL. Additionally, Jan gives extra attack die, so hitting w/ 5 dice. If at range 3, even better as no defense benefit. Odds are very high that you should hit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
commuter zombie
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, I'm hesitant to use Wedge in any list that doesn't have some sort of tech to protect him but I'll give it a try and see how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.