Subject: Opinion on selling custom game components? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I was wondering the other day, to what extent is it OK to sell custom game components? Smaller bits seem to be OK with everyone, like custom dice or Litko's laser-cut stuff. But where do You draw the line?

Poll
Where to draw the line?
Just bits that help bling out the game
Custom cards or boards that don't use original art
Entire game re-themed but without rules or box
      35 answers
Poll created by luminarious

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The poll is missing "Don't care." Sell whatever you want, cease when asked or lawyer up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also missing is: all of the above. Also missing is: printout of rules and DiY/PnP box.

If I have (say) a German version of a game, and the .pdf of the English rules is available, I will supply a professionally printed English copy.

If I were selling a re-theme or DiY make of an OOP game I'd supply a box of some kind too. IANAL but pretty much the only thing that can be copyrighted is the artwork, not the theme or the concept or the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Yeah, there are probably even more cases that should be listed in the poll, but it's mainly meant to inspire discussion anyway.

enoon wrote:
Also missing is: all of the above. Also missing is: printout of rules and DiY/PnP box.

If I have (say) a German version of a game, and the .pdf of the English rules is available, I will supply a professionally printed English copy.

If I were selling a re-theme or DiY make of an OOP game I'd supply a box of some kind too. IANAL but pretty much the only thing that can be copyrighted is the artwork, not the theme or the concept or the rules.

Trademark issues may also be relevant in addition to copyright, like the recent Heroquest situation showed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, fair point: one couldn't PnP/DiY a 'complete game' for sale under the original name, however, making and selling parts or expansions or developments quoting compatibility with a "named game" would be OK (see all the 'generic' sales for branded items).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.