Alan Bull
England
Southwater
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far I understand:

Taking the same action twice in a round = No
Taking an action (e.g. Focus) and using a token (e.g.Focus) are not the same thing. So if you acquired a focus token from elsewhere you can use two focus tokens.

So far this all makes perfect sense, now I read Marksmanship which is an action, but it reads "each time you attack this round".

Am I understanding the mechanic to work like this for Han using Marksmanship and Gunner:

1- Han attacks, 0 hits, 2 x focus, 1 x blank
2- Uses Marksmanship to change the dice to 1 x Crit, 1 x hit

3- Defender rolls 2 x evade, therefore no hits

4- Hans' ability kicks in, new attack = 0 hits, 1 x Focus, 1 x blank
5- Markmanship changes the dice to 1x Crit

6- Defender rolls 1 x evade, therefore no hits

7- Gunner ability kicks in, new attack = 1 x hit, 2 x focus
8- Markmanship changes the dice to 1x Crit, 2 x hit

9- defender rolls 1 x evade

10- Defender takes 1 x crit and 1 x hit

In following this mechanic I think I am using the effect of markmanship which is just triggered by each attack. Not that I am using the same action 3 times.

Is this really correct??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With rare exception (Turr Phennir being an obvious one), "actions" are taken during the activation phase, immediately after maneuvering your ship. Some "actions" give "tokens" to your ship(s). "Tokens" are not "actions", and "spending tokens" (which usually happens during the combat phase, usually right after rolling attack or defense dice, but sometimes in order to fire a secondary weapon, etc) has nothing to do with "actions."

Marksmanship has an "action" that doesn't grant any "token" and has an ongoing effect that lasts the entire round. Since there aren't any "tokens," nothing gets spent. You can take Marksmanship once per turn for a given ship, just like any other "action" but it's effect can trigger an unlimited number of times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Haglund
Sweden
Göteborg
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You only use the action once, it then modifies your attacks for the rest of the phase. Doesn't matter how many attacks you do, the action itself is still only used once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey
United States
flag msg tools
Make it so
badge
Captain Picard
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost. Han's ability is not a new attack. You must use it before the defender rolls his dice. There could only be two defense rolls and two uses of Marksmanship in your example. Gunner is the only thing in there that creates a new attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Speelman
United States
Wolverine Lake
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Major flaw in your example. Han' s ability doesn't trigger a second attack. It lets you reroll your attack dice which you have to do BEFORE your opponent rolls their defence dice.

Edit: Beaten to it by Locutus...the Ninja Turtle?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One correction to your sequence. Han may reroll attack dice which happens before the defender rolls. With this excpetion (which has nothing to do with Marksmanship), you are right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
For clarification...

This is how Han+Gunner+Marksmanship works:

1) Roll dice
2) (Optional) Use Han to reroll ALL dice or spend target lock(if you have one) to reroll some. CANNOT DO BOTH. Dice can only be rerolled once per attack.
3) (Optional) Use Marksmanship to change 1 focus to a crit and others to hits OR spend focus token to change all focus to hits.
4) Defender attempts to evade the normal way
5) If defender was not hit, Gunner triggers. Repeat steps 1-4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Bull
England
Southwater
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK..I think i'm getting it. Many thanks for the clear replies especially for correcting Hans' ability for me..that would have been very embarrasing at some sort of tournament.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cat O\'Mighty
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A more likely occurance is the use of R2F2. It takes an action to power up the droid for the turn, the effects apply to every defense roll you make that turn.

It's a nice choice to pair R2F2 with Biggs who tends to get shot at multiple times each turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Raz
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cowpers wrote:
So far I understand:

Taking the same action twice in a round = No
Taking an action (e.g. Focus) and using a token (e.g.Focus) are not the same thing. So if you acquired a focus token from elsewhere you can use two focus tokens.

So far this all makes perfect sense, now I read Marksmanship which is an action, but it reads "each time you attack this round".

Am I understanding the mechanic to work like this for Han using Marksmanship and Gunner:

1- Han attacks, 0 hits, 2 x focus, 1 x blank
2- Uses Marksmanship to change the dice to 1 x Crit, 1 x hit

3- Defender rolls 2 x evade, therefore no hits

4- Hans' ability kicks in, new attack = 0 hits, 1 x Focus, 1 x blank
5- Markmanship changes the dice to 1x Crit

6- Defender rolls 1 x evade, therefore no hits

7- Gunner ability kicks in, new attack = 1 x hit, 2 x focus
8- Markmanship changes the dice to 1x Crit, 2 x hit

9- defender rolls 1 x evade

10- Defender takes 1 x crit and 1 x hit

In following this mechanic I think I am using the effect of markmanship which is just triggered by each attack. Not that I am using the same action 3 times.

Is this really correct??

Han's re-roll is not a new attack. Attacker must re-roll all dice before the defender rolls.

1. Attacker Rolls dice
2. Attack dice can be modified
3. Defender Rolls defense dice
4. Defense dice can be modified
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Bull
England
Southwater
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a follow up to this, once you are using Marksmanship do you have to change one 'eye' to a critical hit or can you choose to make them all standard hits?

The card says 'may change'. I'm guessing if you want to use the part that says all other 'eyes' to standard hit you also have to use one eye to critical hit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Creed Buhallin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Cowpers wrote:
As a follow up to this, once you are using Marksmanship do you have to change one 'eye' to a critical hit or can you choose to make them all standard hits?

The card says 'may change'. I'm guessing if you want to use the part that says all other 'eyes' to standard hit you also have to use one eye to critical hit.

This is the accepted consensus - the "may" applies to the entirety of the changes, you can't pick and choose which ones you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.