Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. It just keeps getting cheaper and cheaper. I didn't think this one would end up in the bargain bin. Easily worth picking up at this price, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Schulteis
United States
Bourbonnais
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the curse of kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Koenig
United States
Alexandria
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I almost bought this, but then I saw this
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1106450/the-worst-gaming-exp...

and then decided it is $34.99 too much.

I feel bad for the backers of this game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowering the price does not improve the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
koenigcitizen wrote:
I almost bought this, but then I saw this
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1106450/the-worst-gaming-exp...

and then decided it is $34.99 too much.

I feel bad for the backers of this game...

I don't think I'd base a purchase on that review.

The reviewer only played once and got some of the rules wrong.

But to each his own.

littlemonkey
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Baxter
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
Supercalifragiliticexmealidocious
badge
Mars by 2050!
mbmbmbmbmb
cbrua wrote:

Sure it does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
DDD seemed like a game where a lot of people hopped onto the bandwagon...
And then a lot of of people hopped off of the bandwagon.

Seems like Kickstarter is breeding this type of "rabid fanboy for a month" behavior, where they get a lot of people salivating over a game, then the flavor-of-the-month shifts, and the hoards of Pavlov's dogs go sniffing off in another direction, in search of the new hotness. Leaving behind games like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea, I wouldn't make a decision based on one review. In addition, one should keep in mind (IMHO) that Queen Games royally botched the delivery of this game to KS backers, but the game itself is quite good.

More importantly, the designer, David Ausloos, is about to release a completely revised rulebook in the next few days here on BGG. He solicited the help of volunteers to go over the rulebook with a fine tooth comb. Whatever one thinks of QG, David has been a fantastic resource here on BGG. Really helpful and enthusiastic, and the game is much better for the FAQ's that he has already put out.

I like the game as it is very much, but I'm really looking forward to David's revisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jgbaxter wrote:
cbrua wrote:

Sure it does.

Then Leonardo da Vinci must be the best game ever! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arianna Tyler
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
GreenLaborMike wrote:
Yea, I wouldn't make a decision based on one review. In addition, one should keep in mind (IMHO) that Queen Games royally botched the delivery of this game to KS backers, but the game itself is quite good.

More importantly, the designer, David Ausloos, is about to release a completely revised rulebook in the next few days here on BGG. He solicited the help of volunteers to go over the rulebook with a fine tooth comb. Whatever one thinks of QG, David has been a fantastic resource here on BGG. Really helpful and enthusiastic, and the game is much better for the FAQ's that he has already put out.

I like the game as it is very much, but I'm really looking forward to David's revisions.

Great to hear, I am looking forward to trying this game out but always held back by the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cbrua wrote:
jgbaxter wrote:
cbrua wrote:

Sure it does.

Then Leonardo da Vinci must be the best game ever! laugh

Or "I am Vlad", which is now $22 at Miniature Market from the list price of $90.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
Seems like Kickstarter is breeding this type of "rabid fanboy for a month" behavior, where they get a lot of people salivating over a game, then the flavor-of-the-month shifts, and the hoards of Pavlov's dogs go sniffing off in another direction, in search of the new hotness. Leaving behind games like this.

This has nothing to do with Kickstarter. People have been hyping games prior to release ever since rec.games.board. Sometimes the games meet those expectations after release - sometimes they don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really solid game. Deserves a lot more credit than its getting. I think the issue is less the game and more Queen Games handling of the KS.

Not to mention this is a euro zombie game. I think people prefer zombie games less cerebral and more Zombicide.

Excellent game.

jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
cbrua wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:
This has nothing to do with Kickstarter. People have been hyping games prior to release ever since rec.games.board. Sometimes the games meet those expectations after release - sometimes they don't.
But it used to be people had to be at least somewhat active in a boardgamer subculture to participate. Now anyone can zap over to Kickstarter, click Tabletop Games and proceed to geek out for 30 days, until the next new hotness hits the scene. DDD just seems like that kind of game, that was super popular for a month or two, then completely fell off the radar, with the typical KS grumbling.

KS didn't start this behavior, but boy howdy does it contribute to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
DDD just seems like that kind of game, that was super popular for a month or two, then completely fell off the radar, with the typical KS grumbling.

KS didn't start this behavior, but boy howdy does it contribute to it.

The grumbling was anything but typical. I've never seen a game company botch the logistics of delivering a game as badly as QG botched this one. Some people still haven't received the game, and QG has gone almost completely silent. It's the most ridiculous situation I've ever seen.

Which is in contrast to the game itself, which most people seem to really enjoy. As with all games, it's not for everyone, but overall its excellent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard

Frisco
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a backer at a pretty high level, seeing this game at this price is definitely disappointing and I definitely feel burned and will be more leery in my future KS endeavors.

The game is ok and rulebook definitely could use some work but it definitely was not worth what I paid for it, even with the second box of goodies that the KS came with. Oh well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pumpkinhead76 wrote:
As a backer at a pretty high level, seeing this game at this price is definitely disappointing and I definitely feel burned and will be more leery in my future KS endeavors.

The game is ok and rulebook definitely could use some work but it definitely was not worth what I paid for it, even with the second box of goodies that the KS came with. Oh well

I went all in on this KS and was happy because of the lesson I learned, which is yours. It taught me to be careful of KS' in the future. They had this psychology going of incremental increases that were justified when taking separately, but together was too much.

I would have been happy at the $100 level that was the base game and a bunch of KS extras.

the other stuff was too expensive.

Jorune

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Chan
United States
Conway
SC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I almost picked this up until I saw the designer. I remember the horrible time I had with Panic Station and the terrible rulebook that made the game pretty much unplayable. I'm glad I dodged this bullet and now know to stay far far away from David Ausloos Games until he proves otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some day my BGG Contest prize will ship.

Sigh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
ohbalto wrote:

Sigh.

You won a promo copy and still haven't gotten it? Wow.

The other big problem with this game is that they gimped the retail release so the KS would be more exclusive. I'm interested in the game, but want the actual whole game. Although, over 50% off for about 70% of the game isn't bad, I suppose
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
silverbowen wrote:
ohbalto wrote:

Sigh.

You won a promo copy and still haven't gotten it? Wow.

That is correct. I corresponded with Nikki, Queen's customer service person, about a month ago, and things seemed well in hand. Now I believe she's gone and someone else is handling CS requests. What that means for myself and the other contest winners, I couldn't say.

I also put some money into the KS, to fill in the gaps between the prize and what many were calling the "necessary" extras. Nothing on that front, either.

It's worth noting that I don't believe I'm alone here either; so far as I know, none of the BGG contest winners have received their prizes. It's pretty rotten.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dacool561 wrote:
I'm glad I dodged this bullet and now know to stay far far away from David Ausloos Games until he proves otherwise.

he has proven otherwise, this is a great, solid game.

To be clear, all the negative issues have to do with the publisher, not the designer. He had NO control over the rulebook. As a matter of fact, he had to seek permission from Queen Games just to redesign it as a pdf.

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, this isn't the first game he's put out with a terrible rule book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like DDD, but I'll admit, I was very hesitant to back another Ausloos game after Panic Station. I heard that game received a lot of fixes to the rules after I gladly sold away my copy.

I feel his games always go into production long before they've been properly playtested, but I will say he is very determined to correct his rules, even if it takes a long time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.