Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff White
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer Hold the Line over the C&C games, but I do wish HtL made use of some event or 'tactic' cards. So, I've been toying with the idea of making a few cards that would be similar to what is in C&C Napoleonic or Battle Cry. Obviously, not the 'left/center/right' cards, but things like 'sniper', 'bayonet charge', 'fire and hold' etc.

Looking around it seems a good way to handle it would be that each card would require two or three APs to activate. That is, each turn a player can spend one AP to get a card. When the second or third AP is spent (2-3 turns) then a card is drawn that can be used.

Thoughts on this idea? Anyone have any good suggestions for events to better match the AWI?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on how chaotic you want your battles to be, but it could be an interesting way to introduce "the fog of war". I'm sure the designers could chime in on how odd instances had an effect on the battles of this period.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
I think an event when an objective area is taken may work. Roll a dice and on a 123 the event happens one way or 456.

Some event ideas..
Rally 1 troop- roll a die 456 the unit increases by 1
a leader arrives
It rains- cav can only move 2 hexes
Veteran- gain 1 die in all future combat
cower- unit must roll morale checks for all future battles

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff White
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It dawned on me that the cards for 1775: Rebellion would be a great source to start with. 'Light Dragoons', etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
I am playing around with these for one of the expansions. Try it for yourself.

Random Events
Before each turn roll a die. On a 4-6 a random an event occurs for this turn. On a 1-3 to the first player and on a 4-6 to the second player.

1: Obtuse commander. 1 unit of the enemy’s choice that is not adjacent to the enemy may not activate until 2 AP is spent to activate them. Elite units are immune to this.

2: Low on ammunition. 1 unit of the enemy’s choice rolls 1 less die in all combat until it spends 1 turn not being activated. It must also not be adjacent to the enemy.

3: Unit Loses Cohesion. 1 unit of your choice has its MP decreased by 1. The unit must have either taken casualties last turn or is currently adjacent to the enemy.

4: Rally. 1 unit of your choice has its MP increased by 1.

5: Battle Surge! 1 unit of your choice rolls 1 extra die in combat this turn.

6: Initiative. Add 1 AP to your total AP this turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Waite
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi Sean. Just bought the game and was wondering if some these random event cards you're thinking about could be turned into a solitaire (dummy player) to guide the other sides actions. Maybe give the dummy player more advantages to make it a challenge. I'm thinking a cross between Field commander Napoleon's orders chits and Frontline D-days solitaire cards. What are your thoughts?

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps. I never really thought about that but it is a worthy idea overall. Might be a good expansion for the next game in the series. Or evolution in the series to be more accurate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.