James Hollinger
msg tools
After playing HB/Shaper since I started Netrunner and occasionally HB/Criminal in tournaments, I have recently started playing and loving Noise. I have also been a little unhappy about my HB fast advance deck I've been running since regionals of last year and felt like I should change it up a little.

Noise: Hacker Extraordinaire

Event (6)
2 Deja Vu
3 Easy Mark •••
1 Stimhack

Hardware (6)
1 Clone Chip ••
3 Grimoire
2 Plascrete Carapace

Resource (10)
2 Aesop's Pawnshop ••••
3 Daily Casts
2 Kati Jones
3 Wyldside

Icebreaker (6)
2 Corroder
1 Crypsis
2 Mimic
1 Yog.0

Program (17)
3 Datasucker
3 Djinn
1 Hemorrhage
3 Imp
1 Medium
3 Parasite
3 Sahasrara ••••••

Weyland Consortium: Building a Better World

Agenda (9)
2 Government Contracts
3 Hostile Takeover
3 Priority Requisition
1 Project Atlas

Asset (3)
3 Jackson Howard •••

Upgrade (3)
3 Corporate Troubleshooter •••

Operation (16)
3 Beanstalk Royalties
3 Green Level Clearance •••
3 Hedge Fund
1 Oversight AI
3 Power Shutdown
3 Restructure

Barrier (9)
3 Bastion
3 Ice Wall
3 Wraparound •••

Code Gate (1)
1 Enigma

Sentry (8)
3 Archer
2 Grim
3 Rototurret •••

The Noise deck is my modified version of a store championship winner I saw recently. My main changes were to replace easy mark for daily casts and cutting the keyholes. I always found in testing I was unhappy whenever I saw keyhole and so I replaced it with the one medium and hemorrhage. I chose hemorrhage because it lets me pseudo run their hand while running RnD and remotes.

The Wayland deck I built for fun a while back and it got better with the printing of power shutdown and wraparound. The idea behind wraparound is that it does not give the runner an easy out with crypsis, tinkering, or parasite if I trash a corroder.

The tournament was held in Victoria, BC at the new Interactivity Board Game Cafe. There were 11 entrants, which was a few less than we were expecting.

My memory is a bit fuzzy for most of these games, I'm sorry to everyone if I get things wrong.

Round 1: Rhett (HB: Next Design / The Professor)

In round 1 I get paired with Rhett, one of my main Netrunner buddies and training partners. We both know each others decks so there wont be many surprises here.

Rhett gets a two ice opening on HQ and a remote (with his traditional "Next Design doth decree: two ice"). I don't quite remember the first turn or two, but the remote gets a second piece of ice and I snag an agenda from RnD. Later, I fully expect the ice on HQ to be a rototurret, yet I misplay by reflexively dropping a sahasrara with no breakers. I didn't want to ask for a take back, so I run HQ anyway and yep, its a rototurret. I luckily find the clone chip for the rahrah but that hit my econ so badly I couldn't fully keep up with Rhett's melanges and good ice. I parasite the roto and eventually imp all the cards from his hand to get to 4 points but Rhett takes the game without any biotic labors. On one of the last turns of the game I saw ash two down in RnD but didn't have the money to trash it. When Rhett drew and installed a card in the remote I assumed it was Ash because I knew the cards in Rhett's hand. Turns out I forgot I installed a virus and milled Ash, so I didn't run his game winning agenda.

The corp game went smoothly, with a 1-atlas scored behind a hostile'd archer with double troubleshooter support. I later used the atlas counter to find another archer which I rezed on RnD with prireq. Rhett had morning star and garotte, but the archer and grim on RnD stalled until I drew and eventually scored a government contracts with the troubleshooters still up.

Round 2: John (HB: ETF / Gabe)

I honestly don't remember much about this runner game. I do remember predicting that a face-down ice guarding an agenda was a next bronze, and dropping Yog to get in. I grabbed my final agenda from archives after milling many cards.

I was significantly agenda flooded in the early game with corp, getting 5 agendas in the first 3 or 4 turns (3 of them 3 pointers). Luckily Jackson bailed me out but it was an uphill climb because I never drew any troubleshooters. I did, however, shutdown a corroder, my only one of the day. After getting to 6 points, I dropped a government contracts in my remote, thinking it could live there more safely than in my hand (he had corroder and the only ice on HQ was an ice wall). I immediately regretted it when he dropped garrote to break through rototurret to steal for 5 points. While drawing for a hostile, I did not draw any jacksons or troubleshooters to bail me out when I drew another 3 pointer. Additionally, he had a zu keymaster protecting his corroder from shutdown so I was in a tight spot. He ran my hand about 4 times with my one agenda never getting stolen while I tried out my best poker face. After drawing a hostile on my first click, I had to survive another turn with no steals. Though he ran my hand twice, he did not hit either of my agendas, and I scored for the win. My heart could hardly take it.

Round 3: James (Weyland: BaBW / Noise)

Huh.

My runner game was very short. I installed imp and corroder sometime during the first few turns. He installed archer, oversight AI'd it, and installed behind it. I installed a data sucker, ran the two milled cards, found out they were two 3-pointers, then ran RnD past ice wall and found a third 3-pointer.

The corp game went very well, with me leaving an open RnD on the second turn. He searched up a medium on a djin, and ran RnD twice without seeing anything. I shutdown for 2 to trash his djin, then iced RnD. Later I trashed a crypsis with grim when he was low on credits, and all he saw for the rest of the game was money and no ice breakers.

Round 4: Niel (Gabe / GRNDL)

Niel was one of the two undefeated people going into round three, but he split his game so I knew I had a shot if I did well, as there is now a three way tie for 1st. That wouldn't be easy though, Niel is a very good player whom I play against regularly. I actually met him at BC regionals last year where he took 1st.

In the early game, Niel installs sneakdoor and snags a 3 pointer out of my three card hand the turn before it was going into an archer'd remote. I later install two grims in front of the archer, and very quickly realize that the second grim should have been on HQ. I end up rezzing all three ice to protect an atlas and to trash knight, corroder, and sneakdoor. Sometime later I think about Niel's possible outs if I installed the 3-pointer in my hand and decided my chances were good. He showed me his out by installing corroder, running my hand and snagging the one hostile takeover in a hand of 3 cards, then shutting down the archer. Without the hostile to re-rez the archer, I had to overwrite the 3-pointer with Jackson. He indexes, I shuffle with Jackson, but he same old things the indexing next turn to find a 3-pointer and win.

In my runner game, Niel quickly scores false lead, as well as all three hostile takeovers and an atlas in quite rapid succession. I am running his hand every turn on click 3 and imping what I see, hitting a snare once while managing my money to avoid possible punitive and sea source. When he installs and advances a three pointer in his remote, I get in with my mimic and corroder. Though I had Yog in my hand, a code gate on the remote would have won him the game because of the false lead and wyldside eating a click. I later install the yog, making this the first time I have ever assembled the full anarch breaker suite with this deck. When I run his RnD he forfeits a hostile to rez archer. Soon followed a critical turn where Niel installed and advanced a card in the remote and installed a new piece of ice. When I run it, he rezes a second grim with me at only 3 data suckers and mimic. I jack out and run for data suckers, hoping his 2 remaining credits wont score him an atlas. When he ends up gaining money, I am able to run and steal the geothermal fracking. He false leads my last two clicks, then installs the previously single card in his hand in the server. Rather than attempt the remote, I search up and install crypsis, and he scores the agenda. At this point though the 5 bad publicity is adding up, and I get the time to find a second data sucker and Niel can't keep me out. I can't remember where the final agenda came from, perhaps archives?

After the game I learn that the other top table also split, once again leaving us at a 3-way tie for 1st. However, both Niel and the 3rd place finisher lost two corp games while I lost one runner and one corp, making me the winner by the weakest side tiebreaker.

Changes I would make to the deck lists:

Runner: Hemmorhage was under-performing, as I thought it might. I'll probably replace it with a third corroder, now that wraparound is popular. I never drew stimhack, but in the tournament and in testing I had games where I really wanted my viruses back, so I might swap stim for a third deja vu.

Corp: I probably wouldn't play it again, honestly. The over reliance on troubleshooter showed in the games. But I would definitely fit in the third grim, and try to fit in ash.

Overall, I was happy with my Noise deck, but I'll be running NBN or HB next time. Big thanks to Interactivity Games for hosting the tournament. See you at regonals!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
mbmbmbmbmb
Lisum wrote:

My runner game was very short. I installed imp and corroder sometime during the first few turns. He installed archer, oversight AI'd it, and installed behind it. I installed a data sucker, ran the two milled cards, found out they were two 3-pointers, then ran RnD past ice wall and found a third 3-pointer.

Nice. Did the corp have Punitive in hand? There's nothing worse than smiling as you give up those 6 points, feeling great, and then have the last 3 pointer snagged out of your hand / R&D before you can drop the kill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal Bennet
Canada
flag msg tools
Congratulations on your well-deserved win, James! You definitely played your heart out in the final game, which unexpectedly turned out to be the clincher. I was too complacent going in, thinking I'd already secured a win. That was a tense, narrow game - just a single credit short of victory at times - and I made some flubs, whereas you stayed sharp under pressure. You were the better player at the deciding moment. Well played!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hollinger
msg tools
Captain_Frisk wrote:

Nice. Did the corp have Punitive in hand? There's nothing worse than smiling as you give up those 6 points, feeling great, and then have the last 3 pointer snagged out of your hand / R&D before you can drop the kill.

I was definitely afraid of punitive, but I don't know if he had it in hand. I figured the possibility of finding an agenda or punitive by running RnD and HQ once was greater than the chance plascrete was the top card of my stack.

nbennet wrote:
Congratulations on your well-deserved win, James! You definitely played your heart out in the final game, which unexpectedly turned out to be the clincher. I was too complacent going in, thinking I'd already secured a win. That was a tense, narrow game - just a single credit short of victory at times - and I made some flubs, whereas you stayed sharp under pressure. You were the better player at the deciding moment. Well played!

Thank you, that meas a lot to me. I'm honestly still surprised the tiebreaker went my way rather than to you, your strength of schedule was better than mine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.