Recommend
13 
 Thumb up
 Hide
60 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: When do you know that you "too" deep in boardgaming hobby? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tero Oksala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was organizing my games today I noticed...

1. I am running out of shelves and closets, which leads to situation where my GF says "Why do you buy all the time new games? We don't have any place to keep those."

2. I am backing several kickstarters at the same time.

3.I have games that I haven't played and games that I have played 2-4 times.

4. I don't remember clearly what games I have and I am not able to list games from my memory.

I am not saying that this is bad thing... how many of you are in same situation and when did you notice that?
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Potter
United States
Edwardsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When you purchase a game thinking it looks awesome and realize later that you already own a copy, then you are in way too deep. Did that once and now I always carry my list on my phone.

These types of posts remind me that my unplayed list is once again getting way to long.

44 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Hihn
Germany
Walddorfhäslach
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You know you're too deep into boardgaming if you walk by a farm, see some kettle on a meadow and think that the farmer should get some sheep and pigs as well to increase his points.
52 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tero Oksala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jhNz wrote:
You know you're too deep into boardgaming if you walk by a farm, see some kettle on a meadow and think that the farmer should get some sheep and pigs as well to increase his points.


Ahhahaha....
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck dunn
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
is quite funny to drive somewhere and name agricola cards that you see in neighboring farms ..
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Every time my wife reminds me that have about 50 games from the 70's and 80's that I own nut never played and probably never will.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It took about two years of heavy game geekery before I become comfortable with it.

The unplayed games... I have friends who pride themselves on their liquor cabinets. Their cabinet, at any given moment, might have several unopened bottles, or bottles they've just opened to try a little bit of but not served at any parties. Nothing wrong with that. You want to have the right bottle for the occasion!

I look at my unplayed games as a way to have the right game for the occasion. It's harder to be sure, of course, if I haven't played it. But just getting the right player count, weight, time, and style (co-op? brutal competition? joking around?) limits the available games pretty heavily.

When you have a lot of games, you can look at the 2 or 3 games (or more) that would be perfect for your situation, and pick the one you're most excited about. You don't end up always trying to shoehorn a new game into a situation where it doesn't quite fit. It feels good!
20 
 Thumb up
1.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The One
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
When you see an interior shot from someone home and you instantly focus on the blurry, half hidden stack of games in the corner, and realise you can name them all.

When your partner says 'lets go up stairs and make love' and you reply 'or if we stay down here we can play *insert game here* instead?'
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Ramos
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Sing, o muse, of the wrath of Achilles...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Another sign: when you start recommending games to people which you haven't actually played yet. I read so many rulebooks, reviews, and session reports, I basically know about EVERY game at my local store. If you ask me to make a recommendation on your behalf, I'll include games I don't own or play!
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Wendt
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know, I haven't gotten there yet.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, you're only too deep into the hobby if it begins to negatively impact other areas of your life. It's not directly about money or space.

If reading tons of rulebooks or buying lots of games enables you to help build up relationships and social spirit in your family and/or among community members, then it is all worth it. The caveat is that you actually must DO those things with your knowledge and game collection. It's not valid to hoard a stash of games and say that you "could" build community spirit with it. (Board game collecting is a different hobby with different rules.)

On the other hand, if your obsession with geekery pushes others away (especially your family) and makes you annoying to be around, then it's gone too far.
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The One
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
BaronVonOberlitzer wrote:
I don't know, I haven't gotten there yet.


You never will. You may see that others have, but you'll never feel that way about yourself.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
teroks wrote:
1. I am running out of shelves and closets
Welcome to the club!

teroks wrote:
2. I am backing several kickstarters at the same time.
It's a nasty habit. If it's a good game, it'll come out in retail for a lot less.

teroks wrote:
3.I have games that I haven't played and games that I have played 2-4 times.
Eventually they'll get played, or if they don't, you can trade them away.

teroks wrote:
4. I don't remember clearly what games I have and I am not able to list games from my memory.
This has never happened to me. You're on your own.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
When do you know that you "too" deep in boardgaming hobby?


When you celebrate your 30th anniversary of regular boardgaming.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boss Beau Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the symptoms that you listed definitely fit the bill. I think you might want to add that if you are an active participant of BGG that it might be an additional indicator.

It is possible to have an addiction to just about anything; board game collecting is no different.

It is probably best for you to stop immersing yourself in board games for a while if you want to do anything about your addiction.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
teroks wrote:
my GF says "Why do you buy all the time new games? We don't have any place to keep those."

You are not deep in boardgaming, you are deep in buying/collecting games!

Alternatively, you are 1. Poor organizer, play more Tetris-like games, 2&3. You derive happyness from spending, get therapy for your shopping addictions, and start to enjoy free things in life, like playing games, 4. You have issues with your memory, you may be depressed or need more social activities, like talking and gaming to stimulate and improve your memory.
devil

Snap out of it and start playing, then only keep games you play at least once a year (or two if they are great enough).

I'm always on the look-out for new games, but I don't actually buy them unless I can get them played in my group -- both because they fit us, and having time to play them from other games. And I don't buy a new game if I have unplayed games. (Well, I do have one unplayed game: Go.)
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Meow.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You watched Gravity imagining the debris was actually a component drop gone wrong.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bbblasterfire wrote:
It is probably best for you to stop immersing yourself in board games for a while if you want to do anything about your addiction.

I recommend the opposite: Start immersing yourself in board games for a while instead of buying more.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
All of the above. devil
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tero Oksala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bbblasterfire wrote:
I think the symptoms that you listed definitely fit the bill. I think you might want to add that if you are an active participant of BGG that it might be an additional indicator.

It is possible to have an addiction to just about anything; board game collecting is no different.

It is probably best for you to stop immersing yourself in board games for a while if you want to do anything about your addiction.


...and focus to my other hobbies which are RPGs and wines? It is fun to collect and play boardgames. I just noticed that Iam "too" deep... And of course... I read reviews abd spend time in here
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tero Oksala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
teroks wrote:
my GF says "Why do you buy all the time new games? We don't have any place to keep those."

You are not deep in boardgaming, you are deep in buying/collecting games!

Alternatively, you are 1. Poor organizer, play more Tetris-like games, 2&3. You derive happyness from spending, get therapy for your shopping addictions, and start to enjoy free things in life, like playing games, 4. You have issues with your memory, you may be depressed or need more social activities, like talking and gaming to stimulate and improve your memory.
devil

Snap out of it and start playing, then only keep games you play at least once a year (or two if they are great enough).

I'm always on the look-out for new games, but I don't actually buy them unless I can get them played in my group -- both because they fit us, and having time to play them from other games. And I don't buy a new game if I have unplayed games. (Well, I do have one unplayed game: Go.)


... I am not poor organizer.

but in anycase, you are too serious now
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday I began reorganizing the games closet. When I was half done, I noticed the reorganization was going to yield about 8 cubic feet of additional space. I showed the wife and asked her if she wanted that space for something other than games.

She looked at the work I had already done, and said, "No, but how many copies of Dune do you need?"

I replied, "Just these 3 plus the other one that should be in the mail."
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chadnorth wrote:

Every time my wife reminds me that have about 50 games from the 70's and 80's that I own nut never played and probably never will.


I'll give you a good price for your copy of Dune.....whistle
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tero Oksala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
grasa_total wrote:
It took about two years of heavy game geekery before I become comfortable with it.

The unplayed games... I have friends who pride themselves on their liquor cabinets. Their cabinet, at any given moment, might have several unopened bottles, or bottles they've just opened to try a little bit of but not served at any parties. Nothing wrong with that. You want to have the right bottle for the occasion!

I look at my unplayed games as a way to have the right game for the occasion. It's harder to be sure, of course, if I haven't played it. But just getting the right player count, weight, time, and style (co-op? brutal competition? joking around?) limits the available games pretty heavily.

When you have a lot of games, you can look at the 2 or 3 games (or more) that would be perfect for your situation, and pick the one you're most excited about. You don't end up always trying to shoehorn a new game into a situation where it doesn't quite fit. It feels good!


You have a good point . That is one thing why I have so many games
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Science doesn't care what you believe in
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When you find out your family left you three years ago and you didn't notice.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.