• [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
If it weren't for the color, I'd guess at the piece being from the German 3rd Naval Division.

http://www.avalanchepress.com/GermanNavalInf.php

There was also the British 3rd Royal Marine Brigade that took part in WWI. It was absorbed relatively quickly into a naval division, I think. (The 63rd?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
Visit the Wargame Bootcamp guild
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb
The counter font and colour looks Game Designers Workshop (GDW) to me

The 3M, colour and battalion size could be French, so I wonder if it is the unit is the:
3rd Marine Infantry Regiment
Especially as French Regiments have been battalion sized since WW2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Yuma
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure what game it's from but it does have that GDW feel.(As Tim P pointed out)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
If "16" is the movement allowance, might we assume the counter is from a tactical scale game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam D.
United States
Suquamish
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like 3rd Marine Battalion of some sort...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. R. Tracy
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's from the 3W game Port Stanley: Battle for the Falklands - third row, third from the left:

• [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb
jrtracy wrote:
It's from the 3W game Port Stanley: Battle for the Falklands - third row, third from the left:

Well spotted

OMG...and I have/had that game too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
jrtracy wrote:

Que bueno!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Lewis
United States
West Des Moines
IA
flag msg tools
designer
Victory By Any Means
badge
"Fear God and Dread Nought"
mbmbmbmbmb
2 and 1/2 hours to identify a random counter? We're slipping!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holman
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meisterchow wrote:
2 and 1/2 hours to identify a random counter? We're slipping!

Well, it took at least an hour for the clipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Guttag
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JR, well spotted! Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bruce
United States
Colchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Argentine Marines! Great job, this had me puzzled!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the game too..like many 3W magazine games of this era it had problems mainly relating to poor rules writing and crude graphics..but I always thought that this particular game with a bit of effort on the player's part had distinct possibilities
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
"Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.
mbmbmbmbmb
This counter looked familiar to me and I spent an hour last night looking through scans from my games. It resembles some counters in Sealords: The Vietnam War in the Mekong Delta...but resembles only. Your sleuthing skills are way beyond mine, J R!

The tufts of cardboard on three of the four corners displayed in the OP image Are Making Me Crazy. Must....look.......away

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb

Fixed it for you

Is that clipped enough for you ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Yuma
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not sure if this has been done here, but it would be neat if we had more of these "identifying counter" challenges. I know web grognards use to do it. We could get some real obscure counters and see how long it takes someone to identify it.
Anyway it's just a thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hughes
Australia
Surfers Paradise
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How did you know that, JR?

I have that game, I have a good memory for counters, you have more games than me, and I didn't have a clue - so...how did you remember?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. R. Tracy
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scotty Dave wrote:
How did you know that, JR?

I have that game, I have a good memory for counters, you have more games than me, and I didn't have a clue - so...how did you remember?

It looked familiar but I couldn't immediately identify it. The superscript '4' made me think "air defense" for some reason (ironically it has nothing to do with AD - I think it's actually a morale/effectiveness rating) so I figured it was a modern-ish subject. The counter graphics read 1980s to me, but don't correspond to a particular 'house style' for any of the big shops of the era (AH, GDW, VG) except maybe SPI, and I know all those games by heart. Finally, 3rd Marine Battalion was an important bit - I'd expect a regimental designation for US, British, or French Marines, so this was something a little further afield.

So, with all that, I took an educated guess at the conflict, and came up with the Falklands - the Argentines had Marines, and the color even suits. I tried to remember what games I had on the topic, and Port Stanley was the first one that popped into my head. I pulled up the countersheet image from BGG and there it was! I admit I was a bit surprised to find it so quickly - I haven't looked at the game itself for close to 30 years.

I dug out my copy last night. Like Steve, I remember a flawed but interesting game, possibly salvageable with judicious surgery. There's a lot in the queue between it and the table but now my interest is piqued!

JR
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.