Toni Niittymaki
Finland
Helsinki
EU
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mb
Hi. The sales of Nations looks good, and we're now preparing to be ready when the time comes to reprint the game. Our thanks to all of you here for making the game a success.

The first step is updating the rulebook. It's done, and want to share it with the gaming community. The new version is online at www.lautapelit.fi/Nations, and in the files section here on BGG.

Lautapelit.fi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asbjørn Lie Parmer
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you done any major changes since the 1st edition rulebook?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Valerio
Portugal
Aveiro
flag msg tools
www.rededejogos.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any changes on the second edition component wise?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toni Niittymaki
Finland
Helsinki
EU
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mb
jazzbjorn wrote:
Have you done any major changes since the 1st edition rulebook?

Mainly wording changes etc. The recommendation for first games is rewritten, same with solo game.

Oblivion wrote:

Not much. Obviously the "Grand Duchy of Finland" is missing, as planned. On the cards,the difficulty level symbol is moved from the corner and the solo tiles are a bit different. Insert in the box is planned to be made out of thicker material, and will have a 2 compartment design.

Lautapelit.fi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Valerio
Portugal
Aveiro
flag msg tools
www.rededejogos.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, when will this 2nd edition be available?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toniemn wrote:

Hi. The sales of Nations looks good, and we're now planning 2nd printing of the game. Our thanks to all of you here for making the game a success.

The first step for 2nd printing is updating the rulebook. It's done, and the new version is online at www.lautapelit.fi/Nations, and here on BGG when the upload is complete.

Lautapelit.fi

Are you going to change the card layout to have all the production numbers at the top. It's already on the top for buildings, but for Advisers, Colonies and Wonders, it's at the bottom. I have missed production so many times for this, That now I just put all these cards upside down on my player board.

Additionally, moving the famine number on the event cards to the bottom, so the events cards can just be run down from top to bottom?

If so, I could see me picking it up again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Maillard
France
Flers
Orne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toniemn wrote:
Oblivion wrote:

Not much. Obviously the "Grand Duchy of Finland" is missing, as planned. On the cards,the difficulty level symbol is moved from the corner and the solo tiles are a bit different. Insert in the box is planned to be made out of thicker material, and will have a 2 compartment design.

Lautapelit.fi

Thicker player boards could be a pleasant addition to the game, everything else is good. And a deluxe version with stone, wheat, coins, VP wooden tokens could be just awesome.
But, for now, great news to know that Nations is a success. Love this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crambaza wrote:
Are you going to change the card layout to have all the production numbers at the top. It's already on the top for buildings, but for Advisers, Colonies and Wonders, it's at the bottom. I have missed production so many times for this, That now I just put all these cards upside down on my player board.

This is interesting. Have you considered the consequences of such a change? Allow to me travel to the future and quote a post from the forum of 2015.

"Hey, apparently this game used to make it very clear which cards hold workers and only produce if they have workers on them; the production icons were along the top. Now, all the cards, even ones that cannot hold workers, have icons on the top. I have missed production so many times for this, that I now put all those cards upside down on my player board."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
crambaza wrote:
This is interesting. Have you considered the consequences of such a change?Allow to me travel to the future and quote a post from the forum of 2015.

"Hey, apparently this game used to make it very clear which cards hold workers and only produce if they have workers on them; the production icons were along the top. Now, all the cards, even ones that cannot hold workers, have icons on the top. I have missed production so many times for this, that I now put all those cards upside down on my player board."

I did consider the consequences. I would be happier. That's the only one that matters to me

As for the meeples, I figured that the 5 spaces in the building area could be designated, places where meeples can be deployed. That in addition to the cards only showing deployment costs, and meeples, are the ones that can have meeples on them, should help.

We shouldn't design for the lowest common denominator.

Although,... who am I to judge. I can't see production numbers on the bottom of cards anyway, so maybe it's me who is the lowest common denominator.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toni Niittymaki
Finland
Helsinki
EU
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mb
Oblivion wrote:

Well, first of all, judging by the feed back we got with Eclipse prints, we would not call this 2nd edition, rather a slightly modified 2nd printing.

Second, "preparing" might have been a better word here than "planning". This means that we're doing everything ready so that we can move quickly when the time comes. Only thing done so far is the rulebook, and we wanted to share it with the community. There will be a separate news post when the new print is decided and we have all the facts.

Our apologies for any miss understandings the original post may have created. We'll edit it a bit shortly.

Lautapelit.fi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will you also move the Hussar card to the Age III where they belong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Valerio
Portugal
Aveiro
flag msg tools
www.rededejogos.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toniemn wrote:
Oblivion wrote:

Well, first of all, judging by the feed back we got with Eclipse prints, we would not call this 2nd edition, rather a slightly modified 2nd printing.

Second, "preparing" might have been a better word here than "planning". This means that we're doing everything ready so that we can move quickly when the time comes. Only thing done so far is the rulebook, and we wanted to share it with the community. There will be a separate news post when the new print is decided and we have all the facts.

Our apologies for any miss understandings the original post may have created. We'll edit it a bit shortly.

Lautapelit.fi

Well actually you didn't say it was a new edition, you only mentioned a reprint... the added confusion is on me

My bad!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Svartisen wrote:

Presumably not - firstly a functional change makes it a new edition, not a new printing.

Secondly, they presumably designed needing x units of each type per age - the name could be changed, but the abilities shouldn't be.

I agree the winged hussar is anachronistic, but the names don't matter, only the mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T K
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I just did a quick scan of the solo rules. They seemed clearer! (Though I admit, I haven't done a direct comparison with the current version to identify the changes.)

I did notice a couple things that I thought I would point out to help.

In the description of what is on the tile, it starts with "what Strength and Stability values the shadow opponent starts with this round, and possible changes."

I understand what it means, because I have played it before. However, I think it is overly confusing because it combines two different concepts on the solo tile into the same sentence. If it were me, I would end the sentence after round. Then, as a separate bullet later, mention that it also provides changes that can occur during the action part of the round. Come to think of it, is there any reason not to order the list following the top to bottom order of the tile? One bullet per item on the tile. That might have helped me when I started.

Also, there is a typo in "How many architects are avilable" Should be 'available'.

Hope the feedback is helpful!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toni Niittymaki
Finland
Helsinki
EU
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mb
Svartisen wrote:

That kind of change is up to the design team. If they ask for it, we will of course do it.

Lautapelit.fi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So these rules can be used with the game as it is out now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tompy wrote:
So these rules can be used with the game as it is out now?

Yes. Nothing (except the placing of difficulty level icons) has changed in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Alves
Portugal
Setubal
Setubal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you considered to add this new rulebook version 2.0 as purchase option? I like to have it physically instead of digital format.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
bgdev.club is really a site address, no www or .com needed :)
badge
Join the Board Game Development Club, see behind the scenes, participate in development, add the games you are working on
mbmbmbmbmb
kamarainen wrote:

I just did a quick scan of the solo rules. They seemed clearer! (Though I admit, I haven't done a direct comparison with the current version to identify the changes.)

I did notice a couple things that I thought I would point out to help.

In the description of what is on the tile, it starts with "what Strength and Stability values the shadow opponent starts with this round, and possible changes."

I understand what it means, because I have played it before. However, I think it is overly confusing because it combines two different concepts on the solo tile into the same sentence. If it were me, I would end the sentence after round. Then, as a separate bullet later, mention that it also provides changes that can occur during the action part of the round. Come to think of it, is there any reason not to order the list following the top to bottom order of the tile? One bullet per item on the tile. That might have helped me when I started.

Also, there is a typo in "How many architects are avilable" Should be 'available'.

Hope the feedback is helpful!

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Inspired by another thread: If possible, I think it would make the icons a bit more intuitive if the cost of buildings was not printed on black circles. Some of the players I have taught, have found it confusing that these Black circles do not count during upkeep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Kitching
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm assuming that the 2014-03-14 link on that page takes me to the v2.0 rulebook, because the Nations rulebook 2.0 link does not takes me to a page not found.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toni Niittymaki
Finland
Helsinki
EU
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mb
Postmark wrote:
I'm assuming that the 2014-03-14 link on that page takes me to the v2.0 rulebook, because the Nations rulebook 2.0 link does not takes me to a page not found.

Yes.
We'll look what's wrong with the link.

You can check out the new version also from
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/95867/nations-english-...

Lautapelit.fi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Canela
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
toniemn wrote:
Hi. The sales of Nations looks good, and we're now preparing to be ready when the time comes to reprint the game. Our thanks to all of you here for making the game a success.

The first step is updating the rulebook. It's done, and want to share it with the gaming community. The new version is online at www.lautapelit.fi/Nations, and in the files section here on BGG.

Lautapelit.fi

I cannot find the rulebook in either place...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lcanela wrote:
toniemn wrote:

Lautapelit.fi

I cannot find the rulebook in either place...

If you follow the link above, scroll down, and click on: Nations_rulebook_ENG_2014-03-14_small.pdf

Or, here on BGG, go to the Nations page, go to the files, and sort by Hot. It is the highest thumbed file.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the link from the previous post and choose the latest version of the file.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.