Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
The question is in the title...

Had this happen twice at the store championship this weekend. Playing against Bloody Daggers, I IONed one of his B-Wings so he flew right past the battle and took a good while to get back into it. It didn't really matter if Advances Sensors was allowed. The next game I IONed a shuttle that had an engine upgrade. This was much different as being able to boost would have given him much better position.

Our ruling was that since you do not "reveal a maneuver" you cannot do Advanced Sensors. I could see it going either way.

Card text...
Advanced Sensors
"Immediately before you reveal your maneuver, you may perform 1 free action. If you use this ability you must skip your "Perform Action" step during this round."

ION Reference Card
"Planning Phase: The owner does not assign a maneuver dial to this ship.
Activation Phase: The owner moves the ship as if it were assigned a white [1 forward] maneuver. After executing this maneuver, remove all ion tokens from the ship. It may perform actions as normal."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mitchell
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly no. You're not revealing a maneuver. You're stuck doing the 1 forward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Catron
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cormitt wrote:

Not sadly but gladly. Advanced Sensors are powerful enough!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mitchell
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drktron wrote:
Cormitt wrote:

I was speaking as the victim here...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
killerardvark wrote:
Our ruling was that since you do not "reveal a maneuver" you cannot do Advanced Sensors.

I think this was exactly the ruling by FFG in their Rules forum (but I could remember wrong). At least there is a long thread about it either there or maybe here.

The gist of it was that none of the things that refer to your dial work when Ioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Raz
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drktron wrote:
Cormitt wrote:

Plus it's thematic, your systems get shut down temporarily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Creed Buhallin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
From the FAQ:
Quote:
Q: If a ship does not have a dial assigned to it when it activates during the Activation phase, can it resolve any effects that refer to its maneuver dial?
A: No. For example, a HWK-290 with an ion token cannot use the effect of Navigator to change the speed of its maneuver.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely agree with the judgement (both thematically and game mechanics-ly), but I think the argument was that it didn't really refer to the movement dial because it says "before" revealing it. If something is never going to happen, can something else be before it.

Irrelevant Example: If my wife asks me to do the dishes before I go to the store, can I avoid doing the dishes by just not going to the store?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Creed Buhallin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
killerardvark wrote:
I completely agree with the judgement (both thematically and game mechanics-ly), but I think the argument was that it didn't really refer to the movement dial because it says "before" revealing it. If something is never going to happen, can something else be before it.

Irrelevant Example: If my wife asks me to do the dishes before I go to the store, can I avoid doing the dishes by just not going to the store?

I'm curious how you can be "before revealing the dial" without referring to the dial. Can you perhaps lay that one out?

Your example is focusing on the wrong thing (though it is funny). The difference is not whether or not you refer to the store, but whether or not what you've been asked to do is actually dependent on the hook of revealing the dial/going to the store. In the game structure, it is. I doubt your wife would see the same dependency

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buhallin wrote:
I'm curious how you can be "before revealing the dial" without referring to the dial. Can you perhaps lay that one out?

I find it difficult to argue for a point I did not agree with. Your comment is exactly the way I took it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Shader
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A logician's wife is having a baby. She gives birth and they hand the baby to him. "Is it a boy or a girl?" she asks. "Yes" he replies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dok Indigo
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
killerardvark wrote:
If something is never going to happen, can something else be before it.

Yes, of course. If something is never going to happen, then everything else is going to happen before it.

But the wording on Advanced sensors is "Immediately before you reveal your maneuver, you may perform 1 free action."

"Immediately before" means to my understanding that nothing is between the two things happening. Since you do not reveal a maneuver you are never "immediately" before revealing it, so advanced sensors don't work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudius Stute
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
killerardvark wrote:

No, unless you want to sleep on the couch...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kernel Klink
United States
California
flag msg tools
On behalf of and at the request of our X-Wing League and tournament players, I submitted some rules questions to FFG. Here are the related responses to our questions, directly quoted from Frank Brooks and formatted for easy reading: (please don't hate if some of these questions seem stupid - I am only the messenger. I just thought it would be an interesting read on this thread)

In response to your questions:

Rule Question:
If my ship is equipped with Advanced Sensors and is ionized from the previous turn, am I able to take the free action using Advanced Sensors before executing the move caused by ionization (the white, speed 1 straight maneuver)?

Answer:
No. Since a ship that is ionized does not choose a maneuver and therefore does not "reveal its dial" it cannot use Advanced Sensors to perform actions before executing its white 1 straight maneuver.

Rule Question:
Nothing in the rules indicates that ionizing interferes with taking actions ... May Lando give an ionized ship a free action before that ship executes its one speed straight maneuver?

Answer:
Yes, an ionized ship can still perform free actions, nothing is preventing that (unless it is also stressed).

Question:
To further clarify the Advanced Sensors text...since there is no mention of the word "dial" on the Advanced Sensors card, should the wording on the card be considered to read "dial" rather than "maneuver?"

Answer:
Not necessarily, the rulebook uses dial and maneuver somewhat interchangeably when discussing "choosing your maneuver."

Question:
If an opponent's Intelligence Agent is invoked to see your dial, is that considered a "reveal" for the purpose of Advanced Sensors?

Answer:
(No) In a similar sense, "look at" and "reveal" are seperate terms. Intelligence Agent lets you "look at that ship’s chosen maneuver," which is different than "revealing your dial." I can see where the confusion arises though, lots of little subtleties.

Hope that helps!

Frank Brooks
Associate Creative Content Developer
Fantasy Flight Games
fbrooks@fantasyflightgames.com

Thanks for playing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.