Popular Tags: [View All]
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
mbmbmbmbmb
Sunday 3/16 had us running store championships at Battleground Gaming in Norwalk, CT.

First up, this isn't a major city and we're in a small state. There was also a gaming convention that probably took some of the people who might have shown up.

Disclamers:

1. We had 9 runners, which wasn't bad, but I was hoping for something in the mid teens. If you're offended by small store championship reports...
2. I don't get to play as much as I'd like, so I tend to play decks that I'm comfortable with. If you're reading this article hoping for some nifty discovery of how Stronger Together is viable again, you might want to stop reading now. I ran HB:ETF and Andromeda.

The format was 4 rounds of swiss. Thanks to battlegrounds gaming for hosting, and to everyone who showed up for a nice day of netrunning!

Round 1:

Andy (me) vs. Weyland

I've never played this opponent before, so I didn't know what to expect, but I played nice and slow. I won via careful manipulation of his credit pool using account siphon, forged activation orders, and emergency shutdown. Final score was 7-1 (hostile takeover). He did power shutdown both of my datasuckers after I discarded 1, which was not exactly funny.

HB (me) vs. Andy
I don't remember much about this match, but I won, which probably means that I fast advanced some agendas. At 1 point I blocked an account siphon by rezzing an Adonis campaign, which is always super fun.

Round 2:

Andy (me) vs. Weyland
This is my most regular sparring partner, so we were both intimately familiar with eachother's decks. We were both sad to be playing eachother since we'd rather be meeting new people. I know he's running 7 3 point agendas, and plans to murder me via 1 of 3 methods:
1. Punitive
2. Seasource double scorch
3. Powershutdown / jackson / diagnistics into one of the above.

This deck is BRUTAL if you don't know whats coming because the combo comes alot faster than you'd expect. Every run is dangerous, and every time you spend a click that isn't directly gaining money you are falling behind economy wise. I was careful, and picked up 3 agendas in separate runs. When I picked up my 6th point, he double punitived me just because the cards were now dead, but I just ate the cards in hand and 1 token off the plascrete, drew back up and won a few turns later. There were several points where I was exactly 1 credit ahead of being murdered (if he had the combo)

Kit vs: HB
I hate magnum opus. My deck has the biggest problem dealing with it because its a bottomless well. No amount of taxing ice can drain it (unlike event based economy). I pulled it out, but at the end of this game I had 5 ice on R&D. He was at 5 points, scored a card and I thought it was over, but it was my 2nd Gila Hands! Bad luck! I pulled out the 7th point, but this could have gone either way.

Round 3:
I'm up against John, someone I correspond with, but have never been able to actually play.

Gabe vs. HB
I specifically brought my HB deck for this matchup. Rototurret ate his faeries, Ichi was too expensive to break for his knight. He got sneakdoor our, but with an ichi 1.0 guarding archives, way too many of his turns were: Click 1 sneakdoor, Click click click. He made 2 bucks, but there were no agendas in hand. I blocked a siphon via asset rezzing, but without an efficient way to deal with multi subroutine sentries, he had a bad game.

Thats ok though, because

Andy vs. NBN (Making News)

Turn 1 - sweeps week!

It was downhill from here. We both mulliganed, I did so into 3x Dirty Laundry and 2x Hedge fund. I really needed a desperado, but couldn't find one. One of those dirty laundry's let me see a scorched earth, so I dropped a plascrete early and felt safe.

I kept it competitive, but I couldn't stop the astrotrain. It came down to random R&D access, and I failed. I couldn't find my desperado, and this caused all number of problems because I had no money, which meant no trashing of sansan, and no trashing of the jackson he was using to fish for agendas. I ended up with 5 or 6 points, so it could have gone either way.

Nobody in my local meta plays NBN, so I haven't had a chance to play against it.

Round 4:
So I'm 5-1, my last round opponent is 5-1 (although with a bye, so I know I will beat him on tie breakers). We are each playing someone 4-2, so I know if I sweep this match, I win the day, but it's really open to any of the 4 of us.

Andy vs. NBN (TWIW)

Turn 1 sweeps week! Sigh...

This was an ugly battle. I saw an early biotic, so I went full tag me assuming he had no Scorch. The game was going ok until i made a turn 4 run on archives to charge up data sucker tokens. Surprise Ichi 1.0. Good bye Yog, Good bye Corroder.

He got an astroscript out, used it and a sansan to score market research. I'm in serious danger of being blanked, but I was eventually able to get R&D lock. We furiously searched R&D together for the next agenda, and I came out ahead. I probably didn't deserve to.

Noise vs. HB:ETF

So after playing what looked like an Astrobiotics deck, I was pleasantly surprised to see that my opponent was playing noise.

He played Wyldside, drew and discarded lots of cards, but ran into last click Ichi (turnabout is fair play right?) and didn't score many agendas.

My round 3 opponent also won his last 2, so I ended up winning on tiebreakers, picked the HB box, and went home

Since I can't go to 2 Regionals this year, stay tuned next week for the adventures of Professor and a TBD mystery corp to debut at the Danbury Store Championships!

The decks:

HBFA.20140317

I have been playing variants of this deck in tournament play almost exclusively since the NYC regionals last year. The ice mix was originally put in place to avoid Katman (because the first versions were way too heavy on strength 4 ice). The release of Jackson kicked this deck up a notch. As I mentioned previously, I don't get to play as much as I like so when a tournament comes i get stressed out and decided to fall back on my comfort food.

The last major change was removing all of my melanges and replacing them with Eve campaigns, because R&D locks suck, and melange is a serious liability if the runner can run multiple times on HQ. You still come out ahead if you install an eve, rez it and it's trashed immediately. A blackguard / silhouette deck could ruin me, but by the time she's out, I'll be running Jinteki!

Haas-Bioroid: Engineering the Future (Core Set)

Agenda (11)
3x Accelerated Beta Test (Core Set)
3x Efficiency Committee (Creation and Control)
2x Gila Hands Arcology (Creation and Control)
3x Project Vitruvius (Cyber Exodus)

Asset (9)
3x Adonis Campaign (Core Set)
3x Eve Campaign (Humanity's Shadow)
3x Jackson Howard (Opening Moves) •••

Upgrade (3)
3x SanSan City Grid (Core Set) ••••• ••••

Operation (8)
2x Archived Memories (Core Set)
3x Biotic Labor (Core Set)
3x Hedge Fund (Core Set)

Barrier (8)
3x Eli 1.0 (Future Proof)
1x Heimdall 1.0 (Core Set)
3x Ice Wall (Core Set) •••
1x Wall of Static (Core Set)

Code Gate (4)
1x Datapike (Creation and Control)
1x Enigma (Core Set)
1x Hudson 1.0 (Mala Tempora)
1x Viper (Cyber Exodus)

Sentry (6)
1x Grim (Opening Moves)
2x Ichi 1.0 (Core Set)
1x Ichi 2.0 (Creation and Control)
2x Rototurret (Core Set)

15 influence spent (max 15)
20 agenda points (between 20 and 21)
49 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Mala Tempora

Decklist published on NetrunnerDB.

Andy.20140317

Andromeda: Dispossessed Ristie (Humanity's Shadow)

Hey look - another unoriginal deck. This deck hasn't changed much in the last 3-4 months. The most recent change was adding a 3rd plascrete because I was afraid of WomboComboWeyland. I've been playing around with 2 card slots, currently used by Forged Activation Orders. It pulled its weight in 1/4 games today. That's more than I can say for Lawyer up, which was the most recent card to fill that slot.

Event (22)
3x Account Siphon (Core Set)
3x Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control)
2x Emergency Shutdown (Cyber Exodus)
2x Forged Activation Orders (Core Set)
2x Hostage (Opening Moves)
2x Inside Job (Core Set)
2x Satellite Uplink (Trace Amount)
3x Special Order (Core Set)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)

Hardware (8)
3x Desperado (Core Set)
3x Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead)
2x R&D Interface (Future Proof) ••••

Resource (6)
1x John Masanori (Opening Moves)
1x Kati Jones (Humanity's Shadow)
1x Professional Contacts (Creation and Control) ••
3x Same Old Thing (Creation and Control)

Icebreaker (6)
2x Corroder (Core Set) ••••
2x Crypsis (Core Set)
1x Mimic (Core Set)
1x Yog.0 (Core Set)

Program (3)
3x Datasucker (Core Set) •••

15 influence spent (max 15)

45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Opening Moves

Decklist published on NetrunnerDB.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was there. Thanks Battlegrounds for running it I had fun. I don't usually hang out at your store cuz it's kind of a drive for me.

I was the dude who was running the Exile/Caissa deck. It was a mistake because that deck can't really do econ denial to block the Power shutdown decks (and there were 3 of them at the tournament at least). The combo just comes on too quickly for me to get safe (I had 2x plascrete in there. I guess I could have gone 3x). The deck can get in and can attack R&D, but man it couldn't find those plascretes (which I needed to find cuz Knight is an expensive breaker to run sometimes).

At least my destroyer filled FA TWIY deck performed well. I've got to think about that annoying Weyland power shutdown deck now for every runner deck I make.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
mbmbmbmbmb
phillosmaster wrote:

At least my destroyer filled FA TWIY deck performed well. I've got to think about that annoying Weyland power shutdown deck now for every runner deck I make.

Sorry I didn't get to play you, i'd love to see Exile in action! As for Weyland shutdown - it's a completely different game. If you're shaper and running a multi tutor package, just put an opus in your deck, and the problem should be solved - if you're careful.

This may mean clicking for credits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Dominguez
United States
Norwalk
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats on winning! I was there also, but we didn't end up playing against each other. I was playing Weyland (no Scorched or combo) and Reina. I ended up getting the bye last round and left early. What were the rest of the standings?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
mbmbmbmbmb
Exelauno wrote:
Congrats on winning! I was there also, but we didn't end up playing against each other. I was playing Weyland (no Scorched or combo) and Reina. I ended up getting the bye last round and left early. What were the rest of the standings?

Me 7-1
John - 7-1 (Making News Scorched + Knight Gabe) took 2nd on account of 2 of those wins were from the bye.
Patrick 4-4 (Weyland Combo Nuke + Kit) 3rd, probably on strength of schedule since his losses were to John and I.

I'm not sure how it broke down after that. I think my last round opponent (also finished 4-4) was tiebroken out of playmat contention, so that implies that there were at least 3 people at 4-4, but I don't remember the name of the fellow who they are holding it for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and a memorable note that I forgot during my match with Patrick... at one point he ran R&D and stole an agenda. He drops a kraken and says he's going to destroy my ichi.

Me: No way - i get to choose. I pick this unrezzed ice.
Him: Ok - I Kraken again.
Me: angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Dominguez
United States
Norwalk
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I split all 3 of the matches I played, and got a bye 4th round, so my record for the day should have been 5-3 (counting the bye wins). If I'm understanding the structure correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
mbmbmbmbmb
Exelauno wrote:
I split all 3 of the matches I played, and got a bye 4th round, so my record for the day should have been 5-3 (counting the bye wins). If I'm understanding the structure correctly.

In that case, maybe Patrick took 4rd and the mat is waiting for you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Dominguez
United States
Norwalk
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could be! Since I'm local and work down the road anyway, he said they'd hold a mat for me if I ended up winning one (since I left early).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain_Frisk wrote:
Sorry I didn't get to play you, i'd love to see Exile in action! As for Weyland shutdown - it's a completely different game. If you're shaper and running a multi tutor package, just put an opus in your deck, and the problem should be solved - if you're careful.

This may mean clicking for credits.

Yeah I took Opus out but I really need to put it back in for this exact reason. There is enough money to run, but not enough to out pace operation econ corp. A one of inclusion is enough. Just means I have to cut down one of my tricks. Exile's Caissa combo unfortunately takes up a large chunk of the deck.

Hey Andy. I think we played in round 3. I liked your decks. I loved seeing Anarch well represented at the tournament. I would have taken Reina as well, but the deck would have been a pretty much a copy of my friend's deck who also was at the tournament.

Even with all the Anarch love though I noticed that no one Keyholed me as the corp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
mbmbmbmbmb
phillosmaster wrote:

Even with all the Anarch love though I noticed that no one Keyholed me as the corp.

Yeah, the last guy who was playing noise ended up MU locked because he couldn't find his consoles, so I looked at their terrific art sitting in his heap.

I have not yet had someone successfully drop and use a keyhole on me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Dominguez
United States
Norwalk
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, we played in round 3. Unfortunately the Reina deck wasn't performing as well as I would have hoped. Either the economy didn't get going, or in the case of our game, the economy worked like it should have, but I didn't get the breakers out I needed. IIRC, I couldn't get a barrier breaker to get into your HQ, which I'm guessing is where all the agendas were, since I recall getting into R&D multiple times and just seeing econ cards.

The guy I played first round (Greg) was playing Noise and hit me with a Keyhole. But he only got in once and I won quickly after. But I was pretty psyched to see it...it's a really cool card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, when the TWIY deck is going good the agendas are either in my hand or in archives so I can get a bit relaxed on defending R&D. In our game early on I drew into 2x Astroscripts and 1x Beale which is enough. My Archer usually goes on HQ when I get it with a Wraparound behind it. I don't recall the ice I had on HQ in our game though. It might have been my Bastion. I don't think it was a Wraparound.

Aside from the destroyer ice the deck had no real tricks. Just econ, draw, 3 cost agendas and san san. I experimented with throwing tricks in there and really all I wanted to draw into was money, ice and agendas everytime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Dominguez
United States
Norwalk
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was Bastion. I remember I ended up finally getting a Knight, but by that time it was too late and you won like the next turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain_Frisk wrote:
I'm not sure how it broke down after that. I think my last round opponent (also finished 4-4) was tiebroken out of playmat contention, so that implies that there were at least 3 people at 4-4, but I don't remember the name of the fellow who they are holding it for.

Exelauno wrote:

I was 4-4 and the two guys I was with didn't do better than me so as far as I know it is probably you who took third Andy.

My NBN was doing well except for the one loss against Patrick. Exile was my Albatross, but I think he can be better. I just gotta retinker the deck a bit. Putting Opus back in should help a lot. I could always get my breakers if I needed them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.