Pay Dirt» Forums » General

Subject: Why isn't this getting more support? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
TL Gorski
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Posted a similar thread for another recent KS game and was just curious why this one was advancing so slow? There's still plenty of time and I'm certain it will fund but just curious about what sorts of things are keeping backers on the fence early in the project? A game from the designer of the mighty popular Alien Frontiers just seems like it should be doing a little bit better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it's the auction aspect of the game, I already own some really great auction focused games, and from the rulebook and gameplay videos, it doesn't look to bring something better to the table than say, Keyflower, Homesteaders or Goa.

Edit: Also, I think thematically, the auction doesn't make a lot of sense. You don't hire employees via auctions, I can "buy", going to auction to get new equipment, but employees? Just takes me out a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Speicher
United States
Potomac Falls
VIRGINIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
one reason is that there are about 20 other games on KS right now, a number of which are going for over 100$ tokaido's Collectors edition, then there are a few mini games then tuscany and viticulture. Was really thinking this one would take off more than it has though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H tV
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No miniatures. Chicks dig miniatures.

Personally? Shipping cost too high. Wanted to back it with Essen pickup, turns out, I dreamed it. Despite beeing pretty sure of having read it somewhere...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kegg
United States
Batavia
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Admittedly, I have pledged too many Kickstarters of late, so have to be a lot more picky than usual (I chose to get a copy of Biblios via a separate KS this weekend). Still looks tempting...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cookingham
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alien Frontiers fell flat for me, and while this game does look good... so did Alien Frontiers.

I may wait on reviews. Lots of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baz Hemmons
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One factor may be going up against 2 major euro game Kickstarters (the one about walking through Japan, and the one about stamping on grapes) - both are highly appealing to a similar demographic, but pretty high priced for their most desirable (kickstarter exclusive) tiers, so that may be soaking up many people's KS budgets. Mine included if I'm being honest - I love Crash Games, & am very happy with Council of Verona and Paradise Fallen, but I just can't resist the other 2 which puts Paydirt in a third place that I can't quite justify shelling out for.

That said, if it's struggling to fund near the end I doubt I'll be able to resist - I really want Patrick to do well (seems like the nicest guy by all accounts) - but I doubt that's gonna be a problem.

All that said, I 100% guarantee I'll be on the future Jason Kotarski / Crash Games project first day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Osborn
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
We'll work up a Number 6 on 'em.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll suggest it's because the stretch goals haven't been made known.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Robinson
United Kingdom
Buxton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The setting is absolutely on the button for me. The single game Euro cost takes my finger off the button.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Bellemare
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
AAAAAAAAAARRRRGGG!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I imagine that for many Canadians it's shipping related.

Let's hope we can get a multiple copy discount...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Rockets
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, a combination of things.

I've just been buying games - not playing them, BUT - the major thing for me is total cost.

Canadian Dollar sucks right now, I'd be at around 84$ after exchange. And who knows if I'd get hit at the border for duty and tax on top of that as well.

The game looks sweet to me - Very Canadian winter type feel to it. I hope it does very well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Rockets
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Takezo Qc wrote:

There's 4 copies for 2 hundred some - I think it comes to 52$ per game? maybe 53?

So right at the US price, Just need to buy 4 of em.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin W
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
Sprechen Sie Talk?
mbmbmbmbmb
bazpoint wrote:
One factor may be going up against 2 major euro game Kickstarters (the one about walking through Japan, and the one about stamping on grapes) - both are highly appealing to a similar demographic, but pretty high priced for their most desirable (kickstarter exclusive) tiers, so that may be soaking up many people's KS budgets. Mine included if I'm being honest - I love Crash Games, & am very happy with Council of Verona and Paradise Fallen, but I just can't resist the other 2 which puts Paydirt in a third place that I can't quite justify shelling out for.

That said, if it's struggling to fund near the end I doubt I'll be able to resist - I really want Patrick to do well (seems like the nicest guy by all accounts) - but I doubt that's gonna be a problem.

All that said, I 100% guarantee I'll be on the future Jason Kotarski / Crash Games project first day!

Tell me more......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I came into this one pretty excited. I love Alien Frontiers and modern day gold mining is a great theme (after watching all those seasons of Gold Rush). However, after watching Rhado's run through my excitement diminished. I did not find much that was novel or interesting mechanistically. If anything, it might be too loyal to its theme, being devoted to laboriously pulling that dirt through the mining process, with the outcome being revealed only at the end of the line. I actually find that last bit pretty cool, but the worker placement and auction mechanisms that get you there are fairly standard.

I think this game would be well suited to someone who hasn't already acquired a library of similar games. My personal slant is that I tend to like my worker placement games on the heavier side, and I am very selective about adding new games to my library. I haven't seen anything in Pay Dirt I find super compelling, but I'd be happy to play it once it comes out and hopefully change my tune.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Bellemare
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
AAAAAAAAAARRRRGGG!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
jonnyrockets wrote:
Takezo Qc wrote:

There's 4 copies for 2 hundred some - I think it comes to 52$ per game? maybe 53?

So right at the US price, Just need to buy 4 of em.

As I gathered, the international 4-pack is for Resident of the European Union...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baz Hemmons
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wi1ky wrote:
bazpoint wrote:

Tell me more......

Unless I was completely hearing things (which isn't outside the realms of possibility) it was mentioned on a recent podcast, probably one of Jason's "20 Minutes of Filler" episodes (good pocast btw). I think it was some sort of dice game. Whatever, Great Heartland is my wife's fave, and one of mine too, so it's a must get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xenothon Stelnicki
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's the theme. Everyone says they want something different but time and again, "different" struggles to excel. In my case, I was pretty uninterested in the theme, but piqued by the game. The gameplay and pedigree of the designer got me interested in the theme and I have since been on a tear watching Gold Rush: Alaska and loving every second of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Speicher
United States
Potomac Falls
VIRGINIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i also think the 35,000 funding level is a bit higher than other projects that are live right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kareem Koh
Malaysia
Puchong
Selangor
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I mentioned in a blog post, international shipping is pretty steep, considering one other kickstarter is offering a very low rate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Palmer
United States
Fenton
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:
Edit: Also, I think thematically, the auction doesn't make a lot of sense. You don't hire employees via auctions, I can "buy", going to auction to get new equipment, but employees? Just takes me out a bit.

It actually makes more sense than you might think. Companies "bid" for workers all the time offering different pay, benefits, etc. It's not really done in an auction format, but it's not as different as it might appear.

Taken with the theme of a game, think of rival companies heading to town to hire workers. If company A offered $5,000 and company B offered $6,000, the worker would likely go work for company B.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:
For me it's the auction aspect of the game, I already own some really great auction focused games, and from the rulebook and gameplay videos, it doesn't look to bring something better to the table than say, Keyflower, Homesteaders or Goa.

I agree that the auction is a turn off. It's not just the auction though. Processing cubes step by step just doesn't seem that interesting...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Reed
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
I'm BullTaco and I approved this message.
badge
Mess with the Bull.....
mbmbmbmb
I am puzzled as to why it is not "picking up more steam" as well..I was on board last winter when Patrick was talking about it....I think the theme is unique and different...which I love.....I don't necessary have to "like" the theme....I just can't hate it....and to be different is what I look for in a worker placement game....I think I would like Roccoco....which is defiantly not a theme that I love...but I think it looks cool and different, and I don't hate it....lol

That's the way I look at it...I think its a worker placement game with an auction...not the reverse.....

I do hope it picks up as well..I think it will fund....but of course I want all those stretch goals.....whatever they are!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
orange_rhino wrote:
jmathias wrote:

It actually makes more sense than you might think. Companies "bid" for workers all the time offering different pay, benefits, etc. It's not really done in an auction format, but it's not as different as it might appear.

Taken with the theme of a game, think of rival companies heading to town to hire workers. If company A offered $5,000 and company B offered $6,000, the worker would likely go work for company B.

A fair point. However, I think it would go the other way, where the company would hire the cheapest worker. Companies rarely fight over workers in manual labor industries, it's more often the workers competing against one another.

So while I can see your reasoning, I still think it is not thematic. Then again, I am not familiar with the gold mining trade in Alaska, so I could be way off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the theme, and the game looks great, and if the components are of good quality it should look amazing at the table.

However, like many others I'm not in love with the bidding mechanism, but I could live with it. On the other hand, I'm allergic to using cardboard tiles to determine random value. The Pay Dirt Tiles are likely to get scuffed or marked and thus kill the suspense. Trying to randomize returned tiles is also a pain, especially as their actual value must stay hidden even from the person pulling the tile. I would much rather push around some good looking wooden tokens, and then roll one of three different d3s (for Barren, Promising, and Rich dirt), to determine the Pay Dirt's final value (and I'm aware that this won't work with some of the abilities in the game, which allow peeking at the tokens' value).

The random events are also a bit of a turn off to me, as is the dropping temperature mechanism. Lastly, I loathe square cards.

All that said, I will gladly give this a try if it gets published. As mentioned already, I love the theme!

Hiding all the stretch goals is also not a very good way of enticing backers. If I could see that there's a chance to score some cool exclusives, upgrades, or promos, I'd be more likely to part with my money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yokiboy wrote:

The random events are also a bit of a turn off to me, as is the dropping temperature mechanism. Lastly, I loathe square cards.

Ah yes, you reminded me of some other things I didn't love. The events in particular looked pretty frustrating, as did some of the equipment that let you honk with other people's stuff. I enjoy brutality in games, but somehow here it struck me as not harmonizing well with the engine building parts of the game.

One thing that might have made the temp drop more interesting is if you had to choose between gearing up for a long warm season, or spending more resources up front to prepare to mine in colder weather. Efficiency of an unprepared operation could drop as the temp did, but if you've invested in a monitor, etc., you could keep on humming.

The bidding mechanism also doesn't seem to fit the theme. I imagine something where higher quality workers take a bigger cut of your payout, so if you do more with less you get more profit, and you could lure workers away from opponents with higher offers. I guess the auction does abstract this type of thing, but more detail here might have made it more interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.