Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seasons was one of the biggest hits of Gen Con 2012, and it’s a pretty good game to boot. After the expansion Enchanted Kingdom added Special Ability tokens and Enchantment cards (as well as new Power cards), we get even more of all those with the new Path of Destiny expansion. Is this one worth picking up? Here’s a reminder of my scoring categories:

Components – Does the game look nice? Are the bits worth the money? Do they add to the game?
Accessibility – How easy is the game to teach, or to feel like you know what you are doing?
Depth – Does the gameplay allow for deeper strategies, or does the game play itself?
Theme – Does the game give a sense of immersion? Can you imagine the setting described in the game?
Fun – Is the game actually enjoyable? Do you find yourself smiling, laughing, or having some sense of satisfaction when it’s over?

Components: Expect the same quality here as you got from the base game, which has some of the most beautiful components to ever grace a gaming table. Unfortunately, the extra cards will probably make it much more difficult to keep that beautiful insert, but if you own Enchanted Kingdom, maybe you ditched it already. There is a new Die of Destiny in addition to the Enchantment and Power cards and Special Ability tokens for each player, and some cool tokens for a few particular card effects. The MSRP of $25 is typical and expected here. Nothing surprising, but certainly still top-notch work from Libellud.

Accessibility: What I like most about this expansion is that there are no new rules. The two new concepts, Enchantment cards and Special Ability tokens, were already introduced in Enchanted Kingdom. Those are both somewhat natural and minor additions, whereas many expansions suffer from bloating the base game with things orthogonal to the rest of the gameplay. On that note, though, I think the Enchantment cards involving the Die of Destiny are a little silly, but I probably haven’t played with them enough. If you’ve played Seasons enough to warrant looking at the expansion, you’ll have no problem learning this one – even the more complex Power cards aren’t that complicated.

Depth: What’s most enjoyable about Seasons is its variability, and you get more of that here. There’s all kinds of new combos, even within the expansion itself (I lost to a player just spamming Eolis’s Replicator when he had no cards and two of Ethiel’s Fountain out). Whether you think a more-of-everything expansion adds more excitement or more chaos into a game is really a matter of opinion, but to me, it’s balanced out by the drafting and these additions simply make for a more varied, more enjoyable game with that much more to discover. There’s tons to see among the interactions of the now-giant pile of unique cards, and some of the new mechanics are deliciously weird.

Theme: Although the specific theme of Seasons is overdone, it’s integrated very well by some cool cards and gorgeous artwork. This expansion has some new artists in addition to Xavier Gueniffey Durin (for example, I noticed Mathieu Leyssenne’s name – the artist of Jamaica). The artwork still all meshes together very well, in part because I think the chosen artists all have somewhat similar styles anyway. The card mechanics are somewhat weirder in this expansion, which I really like, and there are a lot of cards that directly interact with your opponents, which makes it feel more like a “tournament”. It’s also really cool to see Regis Bonnessee and Libellud trying to expand the world setting of Seasons, because it looks amazing. One of the coolest surprises upon opening the box was actually the breathtaking ad for Lords of Xidit in the back of the rulebook – now we just need an anime film set in the world… But for now, the new card effects and art do a lot to further immerse you into the world of Xidit.

Fun: There really isn’t much to say here: if you enjoy Seasons, you should probably pick up this expansion. If you’re on the fence, this expansion isn’t going to sway you towards liking the game more. It has the same issues to the same degree: too long with more than two, far too much text and things to keep track of, and so on. But if you get past all that and see the game for a quite enjoyable fantasy game with lots of cool cards, this will make the game even better.

Although it won’t change your mind about Seasons, Path of Destiny is a solid expansion that should be a huge hit with the rather large fan base of the base game.

Originally posted on http://meepletown.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Review: Seasons: Path of Destiny
Thanks Derek!

Can't wait to get my pre-ordered copy from CSI! Where did you get your copy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review. Personally, I'm a big fan of expansions that add more variety to tried and true game elements and mechanics rather than bloat the game. That's probably why for the Troyes: The Ladies of Troyes expansion, my least favorite thing is the ramparts. More of the same can be a good thing if the same is already awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robman wrote:
Thanks Derek!

Can't wait to get my pre-ordered copy from CSI! Where did you get your copy?

It should be out, I think, next week. Mine was a review copy. Although if anyone reading this lives near Fort Wayne, IN, I donated the review copy to the open gaming library at Nerdvana Games on Till Rd, so you can check it out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
This is a rebellion, isn't it? I rebel.
badge
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
mbmbmbmbmb
This still doesn't even have an entry on Amazon...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattr0polis wrote:

ASIN: B00IQA8AUI
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
belial1134 wrote:
Mattr0polis wrote:
This still doesn't even have an entry on Amazon... :(

Thanks. I did see that finally the other day but it still says pre-order only with a release date of May 29...

Sounds like everyone is getting this asap right now. I mean I know Amazon is sometimes a little behind with releases for board games, but 2 months behind? Seems weird.

Oh well, I'll keep checking it and probably insta-buy as soon as it is available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I got it at my FLGS on Friday. It does seem odd if it can't be bought on amazon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattr0polis wrote:
belial1134 wrote:
Mattr0polis wrote:

Thanks. I did see that finally the other day but it still says pre-order only with a release date of May 29...

Sounds like everyone is getting this asap right now. I mean I know Amazon is sometimes a little behind with releases for board games, but 2 months behind? Seems weird.

Oh well, I'll keep checking it and probably insta-buy as soon as it is available.

I'm pretty sure Amazon had it in stock (through Funagain) late March because I was waffling on ordering it. They seemed to sell through what stock they had. The May 29th date is for the restock, I believe.
I picked mine up at Time Well Spent today. Since I'm local I can pick it up instead of paying shipping. Still had two in stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Checked Amazon for this again today and it is FINALLY in stock, Prime-able and already shipping to my house! Through Funagain as Kevin said.

Can't wait to get this and mix all of these crazy cards in with the others! Thanks, all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.