Subject: Solo game like The Castles of Burgundy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The One
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mb
Well over a year ago I was introduced to Agricola by a close friend and this put me off trying 'euro games' for a very long time.
This was until last night, when I took the plunge and played my first game of The Castles of Burgundy and to my suprise, I really enjoyed it. While Agricola seemed to rejoice in making me pick the least worst action each turn, CoB made me feel like I was actually getting ahead each turn (in terms of creating something a bit special, not just in victory points).

I'll be more than happy to play CoB again with my gaming group, but I'm wondering if there is something out there like CoB that I can play at home? The problem is, my wife and son don't like 'overly thinky' games, so it would need to be something I could play solo. Does such a game exist?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not just play it online at "www.boiteajeux.net" versus other people?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The One
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mb
I like handling physical components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Suburbia might be a good candidate that seems a bit like CoB with a 1p gameplay. Snowdonia isn't much like it but still might tick your boxes. And whilst you didn't like Agricola, Caverna: The Cave Farmers works well for a 1p and has certainly had some of the annoying / punishing aspects of Agricola exorcised from it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
True_Dave wrote:
I like handling physical components.

I do as well, but not when I'm playing solo. It feels like to much work to dig all that stuff out just for myself. Plus most games don't play the same to me solo as they do with multiple people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The One
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mb
When I'm up first in the mornings, or the wife's working and the kids are in bed I'm happy to set up and tear down a game for solo play as long as it's an enjoyable game. There's something about rollin' bones and handling physical components that to me leaves computer gaming feeling a little bit soulless by comparison. But I do appreciate that to anyone else this probably would have been a perfect solution.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to make a suggestion. Looking at Suburbia I remember the Shut Up and Sit Down guys getting very excited by it, but the CoB solo variant also sounds really good. The guy in my FLGS was absolutely gushing in his praise for Caverna (and he's usually spot on with his recommendations), but given my experience with 'gric I think I'd want to try this before I lay down any money on it.

The other side of it, CoB solo may well remove the novelty of playing this game with my group (or put me at an advantage meaning they'll be less likely to play it when I'm there). Suburbia is a different game and seems to neatly fit the bill, but CoB is less than half the price...

Decisions, decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Try this.

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/91390/soloplay_castlesofbu...

I have played several solo variants from GameRulesforOne and I have enjoyed them quite a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talmadge
United States
Clinton
CT
flag msg tools
REFEREE MADNESS
badge
I'm wasting your time!
mbmbmbmbmb
This same question seems to be posted weekly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Snowdonia is a great Euro game where you're constructing a rail line to the top of the Snowdonia peak. There's a sense of building and progressing throughout. And it plays great as a solo game.

See this GeekList to get a feel of the depth and interesting decisions in this solo game:

Snowdonia Week: A Collective Solo Experiment!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The One
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mb
ct5150 wrote:
This same question seems to be posted weekly.

Care to post a few links? They might include something that was missed here and would be much appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Castelli
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Suburbia?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.