Popular Tags: [View All]
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it's just me, and I don't mean to offend anyone, but I've noticed that most competitive X-Wing players are in a relatively narrow age range.

I've have seen very few teenaged players and I have seen very few players over 45. Now, I have not asked the ages of each person I played against, but I would guess that 90% of them are between the ages 25 to 40.

I was born in 1977, so I was basically an infant when the first movie came out. I feel that if I was 20 when the first movie came out, I would be no less a fan of Star Wars than I am now. And this game would be no less attractive to me as a 57-year-old.

I see lots of older players playing war games and other tactical games, and I see lots of teenagers in Magic tournaments and other miniatures tournaments.

So is it just me? Is it just the Chicago scene? And if it is a broader trend, any reason why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would guess majority of my opponents have been Mid to upper 30s.

I have seen a 10 or so year old.

Myself I'm 28 and I think there have been a few others around my age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say most of the players I've come across are in their late 20's to early 40's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the nostalgia of the original movies. Most of us in our 30s/40s remember the movies as kids so fondly, and this game captures the feel of the original movies so perfectly, that we love it and can't stop playing.

I have gotten my 15 yr old son into it, though he likes the LCG a lot more.

For the record, I'm 40 (almost 41), and my friend that I got into the game and plays competitively with me (and has won the last 3 tournaments including a store championships) is 29.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I know a few players under 21, but not many. Of those, none are "tournament quality" at least not yet. X-Wing is pretty young in our area. For competitive players, our range is also from 20ish to 40ish. I think some of the reasoning for this is #1 adults typically have a larger disposable income, and #2 it is easier for them to get to large tournaments where they see and get experience against good players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loose Cannon
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Me and another buddy who play are both 40 as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
https://sites.google.com/site/cnjxwing/home
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have met 40 pilots in our FLGS and several more outside of it.

Most are mid 20s to mid 40s. A few are in their 50s and a few were late teens. We have only had 1 6ish year old in house.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cat O\'Mighty
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Class of '77 here, and I saw the original movie many times during that year!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Bitton
United States
California
flag msg tools
I was born in '71, and vividly remember being taken to see Star Wars on opening day in '77. Thus began an enduring obsession with the Star Wars universe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In our area, we have a father/son combo (~ 20 yo son has won at least one tourney) and a grandfather/grandson combo (~ 55 yo grandfather is often in the top 3 and has a couple wins, although his 11-12 yo grandson is still seeking a top-3 finish). But most of the players are 25-45.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
25-40 seems to be the age range around me as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1984 here. Grew up on Tie Fighter and Dark Forces, the movies and Decipher's CCG.

Most players I know are in the 25-35 bracket.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My friends/family group is mid-30's. The guys who play at the FLGS are probably late 20's to mid 40's. My guess is the contributing factors are disposable income and interest in the original trilogy.

I'm desperately trying to get my son to a level where he can play on his own so I can have an opponent 24x7. I'm about a year away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
glen.
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also think this is FFG's target market too: the hobbyist who is young enough to buy into the glitz of a smoking hot theme, while also has the income of a responsible adult.

Right? Think about LCGs, it's not the $200+/month of MtG, but it is a consistent $15/month which creates loyalty and not burnout. Same too with minis -- think WizKids versus FFG.

I also wonder if there is a both/and with the direction of the theme. FFG designers are around our age, grew up on the OT and video games, etc, while simultaneously are marketing to us too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Hamilton
United Kingdom
Livingston
West Lothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
68 next week but I can still squeeze into the cockpit of an X-Wing although some unkind members of my games group did suggest I should use the call sign "Jabba"!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
janglybits wrote:
68 next week but I can still squeeze into the cockpit of an X-Wing although some unkind members of my games group did suggest I should use the call sign "Jabba"!

Good. I'm glad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
28, born at the tail end of '85. Most of the players seem to be around my age, at least of my opponents. Some of them older, not a lot of really young players. I have heard that the 40K and Magic communities seem to be migrating to X-Wing, which I am counting as a good thing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner Knizia
badge
The world is what we make of it. So why not make it a better place?
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I feel better that I'm not the only one over 50 still playing board games and miniature games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remo Galvan
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
43 and 49 (year old) players here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Sperling
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Born in '79 and successfully got my 14yo nephew hooked, though I wouldn't say either of us is tournament worthy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
J2B1 wrote:
I was born in '71, and vividly remember being taken to see Star Wars on opening day in '77. Thus began an enduring obsession with the Star Wars universe.

Me too... This was the first movie I saw in the theater, the first action figure I ever owned, and the rest is history...really enjoy reliving those memories through this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swampy Crocker
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking I was the baby of the group doesn't seem far off. I just hit 24, and my wing-man is 24 in September. I feel like out of our gaming group we are the most involved, but not the best players by any stretch. We had a couple of college kids(20-22ish), but they left after Christmas. I remember watch the OT when they did a re-release in the early 90s(I was barely into school) and didn't catch the prequels until a few years ago.
I grew up with Fett being the best Star Wars character, Jabba as a giant slug and Han Shot First, not Only Han Shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Godballe
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
39 years of age here. My regular players varies from 12 to 55 at the moment, but generally speaking the average age is around the 30 years mark. Both in my group of players, but also in general as I've noticed. At conventions it's every age that's represented but in the few tournaments I've participated in, everybody is between 15 and 40.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Syvertsen
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
General Sherman says have a great day!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm 44, my wife is... in her late thirties, and we play with people between ages 28 and 48, so fairly wide age range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Ramsdell
United States
Ashland
Kentucky
flag msg tools
I'm 39 going on 40. I enjoy playing no matter the age of my opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.