6 Posts

Pay Dirt» Forums » General

Subject: Fleet vs Pay Dirt rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyle S

California
msg tools
I'm sort of interested in this auction game mechanic. I've seen the Fleet run through and it looks pretty fun. I'm curious how Fleet and Pay Dirt compare in overall fun factor, depth, and replayability, because I only need 1 auction game. Are there other auction games that are better?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pay dirt also has a run through, you could watch it and compare for yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tunison
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Get your finger out of my face!
mbmbmbmbmb
The_keels wrote:
I'm sort of interested in this auction game mechanic. I've seen the Fleet run through and it looks pretty fun. I'm curious how Fleet and Pay Dirt compare in overall fun factor, depth, and replayability, because I only need 1 auction game. Are there other auction games that are better?

This is an interesting comparison. Both of these games include a strong auction element, but I'd be hesitant to call either of them an "auction game". Auctioning is a common mechanism in numerous types of games to acquire resources, but if that auctioning is just one piece of a more complex game, these games will have a very different feel overall. For example, there's auctioning as a key mechanism in both Power Grid and For Sale, but those are vastly different games.

If you're looking for a pure auction game recommendation, the first thing that comes to mind is Going, Going, GONE!. In terms of a detailed comparison between Fleet and Pay Dirt, I don't know enough about them both to make a recommendation, other than saying I was pretty disappointed with Fleet so it wouldn't be very difficult for Pay Dirt to win that fight in my opinion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Nickell
United States
Bothell
WA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only 1 Auction game?!? That's no fun.

Pay Dirt isn't really an auction game. It has an auction phase in it but it is primarily an engine building, worker placement game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Kauk
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The_keels wrote:

I personally think auction games are the best style of Euro's as they have HIGHER player interaction than most other styles of strategy games. I really enjoy Fleet, I love New Amsterdam, and many more. I'll probably pick up Pay Dirt as well. Don't limit yourself to one of anything and forget the misunderstood "Jones Theory".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite "auction" game is dungeon petz.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.