Jay Noble
United Kingdom
Newbury
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

I play a lot of solo games, and Robinson Crusoe looked like it would tick all the boxes for me. But so far I have only managed to set the game up a few times and then pack it away, and the most I have achieved is about two turns.

I don't know why, but I just can't get in to this, and it's driving me mad.

Sometimes it does take a while for a game to really click with me. I need streamlined and comprehensive rules - but despite having all the player guides etc downloaded I still find it a bit of a chore to play. In terms of complexity to learn I put it below Mage Knight the Board Game - and I managed to get to grips with that quickly.

I think, it's either a problem with grasping all the rules and / or not yet 'cracking the code' of the game in terms of at least getting a small foothold in the scenario before it starts slapping me around.

Does anyone else ever have this problem (not just with Robinson Crusoe)? If so, how do you make the breakthrough? Any tips to get started?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Koenig
United States
Alexandria
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't obsess over getting every single tiny rule right. With RC, you will make mistakes probably, and that's ok.

Just get the basics down, and play through the game. Don't constantly pause to spend 30 minutes trying to find an answer to a little rule in the rule book or BGG.

Just play through the game, enjoy it. If not sure of a rule, just make a common sense decision, write yourself a little note to check later, and play the game.

After you play through it, flip the rule book again and through the FAQ, it will make a lot more sense.

RC is a great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest Evans
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Andrei. I'm relatively new to board gaming, but I took this game on because I also enjoy the co-op/solo games and a challenge. I've played 3 times and each time I learn or figure a new rule that I hadn't completely understood. During game play I just accept that I might be cheating. I look up the rule later and adjust for next round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you watched the Box of Delights video series and/or Rahdo's video? It's not just that these videos help with rules issues, they also do a good job of giving one a feel for the pace and rhythm of the game, I think.

In addition to frustration over the rules, there are also so many options in RC that I wonder if there is on the part of some players a need to find the one, correct move, when there might not be a single one that is apparent from turn to turn in this game. It might just be less important for gameplay that one tries to find the one, correct decision than for one to make a decision and commit to it in the narrative.

I find Mage Knight a lot to keep in my head and RC a much smoother experience. I'm sure given a bit more experience I'd feel better about MK; similarly I am sure you will get there with RC. Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest Evans
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If anyone is struggling with the gameplay not being smooth I highly recommend the file post here. I use it to remind myself about the major parts of each phase. I even use a marker token on it in case I have to get up in the middle of a round.

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/83876/round-sequence-crib-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smales
United States
Rome
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Colonel Peter Gansevoort (1749 – 1812) Defender of Ft. Stanwix, Rome, N.Y., 1777
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is a great game. All it needs is a 2nd edition rulebook with the accumulated wisdom of thousands of plays. I have never been frustrated with the game--I think having a wargame history has helped. Download the excellent player aids recommended on this thread and play onarrrh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xenothon Stelnicki
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
USE THIS. http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/94275/castaways-quick-star...

Jdoki wrote:
Hi

I play a lot of solo games, and Robinson Crusoe looked like it would tick all the boxes for me. But so far I have only managed to set the game up a few times and then pack it away, and the most I have achieved is about two turns.

I don't know why, but I just can't get in to this, and it's driving me mad.

Sometimes it does take a while for a game to really click with me. I need streamlined and comprehensive rules - but despite having all the player guides etc downloaded I still find it a bit of a chore to play. In terms of complexity to learn I put it below Mage Knight the Board Game - and I managed to get to grips with that quickly.

I think, it's either a problem with grasping all the rules and / or not yet 'cracking the code' of the game in terms of at least getting a small foothold in the scenario before it starts slapping me around.

Does anyone else ever have this problem (not just with Robinson Crusoe)? If so, how do you make the breakthrough? Any tips to get started?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hindmarch
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I would suggest slowing down and appreciating the story that unfolds. Pay attention to the flavor text. Fill in the blanks to make a narrative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Mighty
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Also, The first scenario can be quite tough. I have heard some say it is one of the tougher ones that comes with the game.

For me the first scenario is all about avoiding horrible weather dice. I get destroyed very quickly if you get a bad weather dice roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Noble
United Kingdom
Newbury
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the feedback.

From the advice given I think it really seems I need to loosen my grip on knowing the rules inside out, and just enjoy the experience of getting destroyed by the island

Thanks for the links to the guides. I already had the turn summary, but the Castaways Quick Start was new to me (and it amused me that a 'Quick Start' was 26 pages )

I'm going to have another bash this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i'm the same nto feeling the love ..yet.. , I think ive given it a mental block of move cubes out move cubes back see how hurt you got got...
though i can see the story aspects..
i think i've been to rules clanky bogged down,
not sure i get build and re-useable objects side of things which puts me off when i need to build and reuse something

also after the rules learns it seemed repetitive, get poisoned, house falls down, animal attack..

now i'm used to repetitive games, pathfinder, pandemic, etc.. but in thouse i feel/felt i'm getting some where ..

i'm like you not ready to give up yet, but i've gone back to some old games recently to give me a brake, yggdrasil, but i know Robinson Crusoe box is giving me dark looks for the early snub,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Parsons
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Milarky wrote:
i'm the same nto feeling the love ..yet.. , I think ive given it a mental block of move cubes out move cubes back see how hurt you got got...
though i can see the story aspects..
i think i've been to rules clanky bogged down,
not sure i get build and re-useable objects side of things which puts me off when i need to build and reuse something

also after the rules learns it seemed repetitive, get poisoned, house falls down, animal attack..

now i'm used to repetitive games, pathfinder, pandemic, etc.. but in thouse i feel/felt i'm getting some where ..

i'm like you not ready to give up yet, but i've gone back to some old games recently to give me a brake, yggdrasil, but i know Robinson Crusoe box is giving me dark looks for the early snub,

You are probably going to have a bad time if you don't understand that perticular rule, as it will make things awkward and harder and thus spiral to unpleasantness.

I'll take a shot at it.

When an item is built, you flip the card over to show it is built. You now have it for the rest of that game, unlimited use. IE, if you have built the shovel, you can use it for the pit, threat action cards and any other building without having to remake the shovel.

The catch is, when you build items, you don't GET the item until the END of the action phase (same as any other resource). Your ment to move the vard to the future resources box and then flip it over when you move all the rouserece to the available box.

To the OP, I recommend playing a game with your best undertstanding of the rules. Then read them again. Reapeat once or twice and you'll get everything. Expect to make a few mistakes the first time around.

Also, Scenario 1 is really hard at certain player counts/character combos. For an esier time, take the explorer and use it's ability to get the land tile needed for the hatchet out early.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Johnson
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played scenario 1 twice so far - got the crap kicked out of us the first play and aced it easily the second. The key to the win, IMHO, is that we found the boxes treasure card early on, which allowed us to treat all our food as non-perishable.

This game seems to be largely dependent on how gracious the event deck is. Certainly good gaming decisions help some; but, if the cards are against you, chances are you're in for a pounding. We just accept that as part of the charm of the game and move on.

This game inspired me to actually pick up the RC novel and read it. I have thoroughly enjoyed it, especially as I can see where many of the game ideas came from in the novel. I highly suggest reading it.

BTW: that guy DEFINITELY had some good draws from the event deck!

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Richter
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dakkadakka1 wrote:
I've played scenario 1 twice so far - got the crap kicked out of us the first play and aced it easily the second. The key to the win, IMHO, is that we found the boxes treasure card early on, which allowed us to treat all our food as non-perishable.

This game seems to be largely dependent on how gracious the event deck is. Certainly good gaming decisions help some; but, if the cards are against you, chances are you're in for a pounding. We just accept that as part of the charm of the game and move on.

This game inspired me to actually pick up the RC novel and read it. I have thoroughly enjoyed it, especially as I can see where many of the game ideas came from in the novel. I highly suggest reading it.

BTW: that guy DEFINITELY had some good draws from the event deck!

Jim

I agree with your assessment and this is part of the charm for me...the issue with some co-op games is that they can be too easily "cracked" like a puzzle. For me, RC's event deck(s) have prevented this. The good thing is that RC is fun even when you lose, IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.