United States
Carrollton
TX
flag msg tools
http://d6desperados.com
badge
Mooo!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Dice Tower Showdown is looking for enthusiasts to debate Eminent Domain vs Race for the Galaxy vs Core Worlds.

Send us an e-mail to dicetowershowdown@gmail.com
Include what topic(s) and which side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Amick
United States
Grand Island
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
"Too late, you took your finger off the piece..."
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to play Core Worlds yet. Will be interesting to see how this plays out. I think RftG winds hands-down vs. ED.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO, there is no vs. between Core Worlds and RftG, they are such different games. (Can't say about Eminent Domain.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
labrhat22 wrote:

I... don't understand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played all of these.

Their similarities lie on sort of a triangle, which each consisting two major design points shared with one of the other two games.

I think RftG is the strongest of the three, though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rain
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like most debates, this one seems to miss the point, and just creates unnecessary conflict.

What I would say is that if you like one of those games and want to try something new, try another one. They are fairly different, and all of them are fun.

Also, when asking other people to provide free labour, it is generally good practice to explain who you are and why they might want to help you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Fisher
United States
Carrollton
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Mooo!
mbmbmbmbmb
entranced wrote:
labrhat22 wrote:

I... don't understand.

If you think that one of those games is better than the others AND you want to come on the Showdown to debate, then send us an email. The email should include which side you want to take.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Fisher
United States
Carrollton
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Mooo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Rainstar wrote:
Like most debates, this one seems to miss the point, and just creates unnecessary conflict.

What I would say is that if you like one of those games and want to try something new, try another one. They are fairly different, and all of them are fun.

Also, when asking other people to provide free labour, it is generally good practice to explain who you are and why they might want to help you.

Post updated to include a link to the Showdown wiki.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rain
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
labrhat22 wrote:
Post updated to include a link to the Showdown wiki.

That's a good start, but you'd be better off actually copying the description from the Wiki and pasting it in your post. It's always risky to assume that people will click a link.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RftG fans are the most prickly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yuk went to a convention where a couple of attendees said RftG was dead. No need to put that back onto the rotation now that ED was there shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Brown
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
I wrote a bunch of strategy for EmDo - the thesis is that the game gives the illusion of varied strategy but really every game follows the same pathway.

I felt it had about thirty plays in it.

RFTG has much more complex dynamics - and is about equivalent in access (icons in both).

I can't take anyone seriously who think the games are comparable in depth - sure, you might like 'deckbuilding', but overall the strategy space is limited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alex Brown wrote:
I wrote a bunch of strategy for EmDo - the thesis is that the game gives the illusion of varied strategy but really every game follows the same pathway.

I felt it had about thirty plays in it.

RFTG has much more complex dynamics - and is about equivalent in access (icons in both).

I can't take anyone seriously who think the games are comparable in depth - sure, you might like 'deckbuilding', but overall the strategy space is limited.
I assume you're comparing the base games of each game?

Otherwise, does the ED expansion increase the depth by leaps and bounds further than each respective RftG exp?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How comparable these 3 games are is reflected in how many plays i have of each:

RftG: 2100
EmDo: 18
CoWo: 4

I wish they were worthy competitors, but these games are not it. The main similarities are unimportant: card game, science fiction. I dream of a worthy opponent to RftG. :(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
DURHAM
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DiceTower Showdown is a fun show, at its best when there are folks on there that are passionate about how much they like their game. I look forward to hearing the show though it is clear which one is the best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mumu shanshi
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
entranced wrote:

Core Worlds is not that bad, especially with the Galactic Orders expansion thrown in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
fateswanderer wrote:
RftG fans are the most prickly

That's bullshit!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
entranced wrote:

I wish they were worthy competitors, but these games are not it. The main similarities are unimportant: card game, science fiction. I dream of a worthy opponent to RftG.
Well, we can probably divide any # of RftG sessions by 10 on account that it's been out a lot longer than the other 2, but for some of us, the numbers would still speak for themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.