Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Ritz
United States
Kelseyville
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did this on another forum of BGG, but I thought it warranted posting here as well. With my kid home from school for yet another snow day, I decided to update my math on the total possible set ups for Legendary with all the expansions included. These numbers represent everything we have up through Paint the Town Red, but do not take into account specific pairings of Masterminds and villain groups (I don't usually pay much attention to that). I also used set up math for a 4 player game. Here we go...

A) There are 25 different schemes (or scenarios)
multiply that by
B) The 13 different Masterminds
multiply that by (from here I used a 4 person setup)
C) 15 different possible henchmen groups of two (6 total henchmen)
multiply that by (and from here is where I went to the internet for a little help)
D) 680 different possible villain groups of 3 (17 total villains)
multiply that by
E) 850,668 different possible super hero groups of 5 (42 total heroes)
and if I'm doing my math right, that gets us to

2,819,964,420,000 Trillion possible setups (give or take a few)!

For those wondering about the combination formula I am using for the possible groupings:
C = N!/(N-R)!xR! Where N is the total number possible and R is the size of the group you need. This (supposedly) eliminates any repeated groups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd check your math, but my head exploded.

zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Brenner
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's more than 20...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Brenner
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theritzes wrote:
I did this on another forum of BGG, but I thought it warranted posting here as well. With my kid home from school for yet another snow day, I decided to update my math on the total possible set ups for Legendary with all the expansions included. These numbers represent everything we have up through Paint the Town Red, but do not take into account specific pairings of Masterminds and villain groups (I don't usually pay much attention to that). I also used set up math for a 4 player game. Here we go...

A) There are 25 different schemes (or scenarios)
multiply that by
B) The 13 different Masterminds
multiply that by (from here I used a 4 person setup)
C) 15 different possible henchmen groups of two (6 total henchmen)
multiply that by (and from here is where I went to the internet for a little help)
D) 680 different possible villain groups of 3 (17 total villains)
multiply that by
E) 850,668 different possible super hero groups of 5 (42 total heroes)
and if I'm doing my math right, that gets us to

2,819,964,420,000 Trillion possible setups (give or take a few)!

For those wondering about the combination formula I am using for the possible groupings:
C = N!/(N-R)!xR! Where N is the total number possible and R is the size of the group you need. This (supposedly) eliminates any repeated groups.

Even if this is off, I'm staling the stat for a presentation I'm doing.

#trippinmajorballsak!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Wineinger
United States
Wood River
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
You made it personal. All it did was buy you a little more pain than most.
mbmbmbmbmb
That is an impressive number of combinations. That's one of the things my group really enjoys about Legendary; no game feels the same. On a related note, I can't wait to run out and pick up Paint the Town Red and kick some teeth in with Moon Knight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scooter of the Ancients
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The only flaw I see in your math is that Masterminds eat up one potential Henchmen OR Villain Group with the group that they always lead, so that would bring your number of potential combos down.

Still alot of combos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Stokes
New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I checked the maths, and ignoring the 'always leads' complication mentioned above, the number you got is correct. That's... a big number.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming an average game of Legendary takes about an hour to play it would take you 321,913,746 years to get through all the possible combinations.

So... time to get cracking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aaron Haycraft

Louisville
Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now do it with some custom sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Ritz
United States
Kelseyville
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
enigmahfc wrote:
Now do it with some custom sets.

The formula is there in my post. Knock yourself out. HAHA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan M
United States
Knoxville
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearing in mind that some schemes also have limiting requirements that will alter your stat...the calculation is correct. If you extend it to include the number of games for each number of possible players (1-5) the number is approximately 62.4 trillion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Ritz
United States
Kelseyville
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game should really come with a "badge of accomplishment" for those who play through every card there is to play with. Or maybe a "Challenge Unlocked" t-shirt or something.

I just wrapped up playing with every single card (not the 3 trillion setups). My take aways... still an awesome game! I've got my favorite heros and my favorite challenging master minds. There are certain schemes that standout as well. I may need to take a break from it for a month, but I really enjoy it thoroughly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Palmer
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The actual math for a four player game comes out to 784,623,959,353 possible setups.

This is accounting for the always leads, plus extra rules from schemes. For anyone who wants to check my math, you can download the excel file I made to figure it out .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I think you guys have too much time on your hands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Ritz
United States
Kelseyville
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Touchfuzzy wrote:
The actual math for a four player game comes out to 784,623,959,353 possible setups.

This is accounting for the always leads, plus extra rules from schemes. For anyone who wants to check my math, you can download the excel file I made to figure it out .

I knew someone out there wouldn't let the "I don't really pay attention to who the mastermind leads" thing happen. Thanks for checking and doing all that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Palmer
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crap, I was off by 13, I made an error in the excel file

Its actually 784,623,959,340

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clevidence
United States
Woodburn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Touchfuzzy wrote:
Crap, I was off by 13, I made an error in the excel file

Its actually 784,623,959,340

Yeah, I'm pretty sure everyone here noticed that. We just didn't want to embarrass you by pointing it out. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin "Coop" Cooper
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
Just Coop.
badge
What?
mbmbmbmbmb
Those extra 13 combinations were the difference maker for me... I'm selling the game now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.