Popular Tags: [View All]
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Evidence spotted for universe's early growth spurt
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20140317/DACJGSCG1.html

The new finding could rank with the greatest discoveries about the universe over the last 25 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always wondered(I'm no astronomer) if we can only see the light of 13 billion light years away(or 13 billion years ago), if we were closer to the origin or epicenter of the big bang, would we see the light of its beginning?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
I've always wondered(I'm no astronomer) if we can only see the light of 13 billion light years away(or 13 billion years ago), if we were closer to the origin or epicenter of the big bang, would we see the light of its beginning?

Everywhere is equally close to the Big Bang, because it wasn't something that happened in space, it created space.

At least, that's my definitely non-expert understanding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

There is no meaningfully definable epicenter. The universe is homogeneous and isotropic on cosmological scales.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the universe had gone with the Bit Bang, then there'd be evidence of deflation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
If the universe had gone with the Bit Bang, then there'd be evidence of deflation.

"O'Flumperdick takes the sign from Derpman, and settles back on the mound. There's the windup, and here's the fastball to McSpiffy, a swing AND A MISS! Boy oh boy, they just blew that one by him, Butch. I think the catcher was already throwing it back by the time he decided to swing. Whew. Hope he didn't pull anything."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

"O'Flumperdick takes the sign from Derpman, and settles back on the mound. There's the windup, and here's the fastball to McSpiffy, a swing AND A MISS! Boy oh boy, they just blew that one by him, Butch. I think the catcher was already throwing it back by the time he decided to swing. Whew. Hope he didn't pull anything."

Oh, you're wrong sir. This was one of the better cross-thread contributions you'll see. If this was network TV, my crossover post just might have inspired its own spinoff series. Something called "Open Source CryptoUniverse" or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
whac3 wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

There is no meaningfully definable epicenter. The universe is homogeneous and isotropic on cosmological scales.

Related question: Does it make sense to ask questions like "what did the universe expand into?" This big bang thing is hard to wrap my head around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tesuji wrote:
whac3 wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

Related question: Does it make sense to ask questions like "what did the universe expand into?" This big bang thing is hard to wrap my head around.

It doesn't. When the universe expands, as it still does today, more space is created out of literally nothing. Imagine the universe as an infinite potential well because there is nothing outside the universe.

All the particles in the universe exist in bound states within the universe and exert a quantum pressure on the side of that infinite potential well, pushing its sides apart. This lowers the energy of any individual particle by increasing its de Broglie wavelength. Of course total energy is conserved but new particles are excited out of the vacuum in the process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

The question isn't where to look, it's how to look. The light from the Big Bang has been stretched through space and time down into the very cool microwave range. Get yourself a microwave telescope and you can 'see' the Big Bang (or at least back to the point where the new universe became transparent to photons). We call this the Cosmic Microwave Background, and it is everywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
tesuji wrote:

The new finding could rank with the greatest discoveries about the universe over the last 25 years.

It fills me with unutterable sadness that a scientific discovery of this magnitude goes in RSP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
More about the significance of this from NYT

Confirming inflation would mean that the universe we see, extending 14 billion light-years in space with its hundreds of billions of galaxies, is only an infinitesimal patch in a larger cosmos whose extent, architecture and fate are unknowable. Moreover, beyond our own universe there might be an endless number of other universes bubbling into frothy eternity, like a pot of pasta water boiling over.

In our own universe, it would serve as a window into the forces operating at energies forever beyond the reach of particle accelerators on Earth and yield new insights into gravity itself.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/18/science/space/detection-of...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rico
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:
tesuji wrote:

It fills me with unutterable sadness that a scientific discovery of this magnitude goes in RSP.

You could put it in Chit-Chat too.

But then it would just devolve into a discussion on whether or not the universe is burrito-shaped.

By putting it in RSP, you not only get a real life physicist chiming in and making you feel dumb for having to look up the word "isotropic," but, eventually, you get a prolonged discussion on whether or not the universe is gay, and if God should be required to bake it a cake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
It doesn't. When the universe expands, as it still does today, more space is created out of literally nothing. Imagine the universe as an infinite potential well because there is nothing outside the universe.

All the particles in the universe exist in bound states within the universe and exert a quantum pressure on the side of that infinite potential well, pushing its sides apart. This lowers the energy of any individual particle by increasing its de Broglie wavelength. Of course total energy is conserved but new particles are excited out of the vacuum in the process.

My IQ is over 150. I scored a 1540 on my SATs back when that was insanely high. I was a Baker Scholar at Harvard Business School.

These threads with Moshe make me empathize with the doctor from Firely when he explained how smart he was and then said (from memory, so not exact quote), "I'm explaining this so that when I tell you that my sister makes me look like an idiot child you will understand the full extent of my meaning."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowball
Belgium
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:

My IQ is over 150.

Mine too. When I discovered that R.Feyman's was 125, I realised that IQ tests must be bogus.

That or we are both totally loosing our time on BGG instead of developping the warp drive or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
whac3 wrote:

My IQ is over 150. I scored a 1540 on my SATs back when that was insanely high. I was a Baker Scholar at Harvard Business School.

These threads with Moshe make me empathize with the doctor from Firely when he explained how smart he was and then said (from memory, so not exact quote), "I'm explaining this so that when I tell you that my sister makes me look like an idiot child you will understand the full extent of my meaning."

Flattering s this is, the reality is that I have a level of training in two fields (physics/math/its applications and languages/philology) that most people do not. education and training are ultimately democratic. Anyone can with the right materials, instruction and support learn anything. There might be extreme exceptions but in essence the skills and the knowledge are available to all; you just have to learn them. I do physics/math and philology/languages because I think they're cool and using them is fun.

I simply know what I can do and what I know and am not ashamed of it. That said, I don't know everything nor claim to. I've used what I do know to delve into a lot of other stuff but that's it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
whac3 wrote:

You're probably ahead of me too. But here are two great related books if you are interested and haven't read them yet:

Fabric of the Cosmos
http://www.amazon.com/Fabric-Cosmos-Space-Texture-Reality/dp...

The Particle at the End of the Universe
http://www.amazon.com/Particle-End-Universe-Higgs-Boson/dp/0...

This is also supposed to be very good but haven't read it yet:

A Briefer History of Time by Stephen Hawking and Leonard Mlodinow
http://www.amazon.com/Briefer-History-Time-Stephen-Hawking/d...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I get that. These threads don't actually make me feel stupid -- they just highlight how vast the gap is between someone like me who reads New Scientist magazine and various popular science books and someone who has put in your level of work into the field.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
"The significance of a person's life is determined by the story they believe themselves to be in." - Wendell Berry "If nothing lies beyond the pale of death, then nothing of value lies before it." - SMBC
badge
Thy mercy, my God, is the theme of my song, the joy of my heart and the boast of my tongue. Thy free grace alone, from the first to the last, has won my affection and bound my soul fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm confused. I always thought inflation made my money smaller, not bigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
twomillionbucks wrote:
I'm confused. I always thought inflation made my money smaller, not bigger.

The square light-years of universe you own are losing real estate value all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
Inflation! I've been saying this for years! The Fed has been manipulating the CPI for decades, but the increase in the monetary base that we've seen going on since the financial crisis is clearly causing major amounts of inflation that is being hidden from us.

I am happy that we finally have scientific proof of the deceptiveness of the Federal Reserve, and all the bankers which they serve. If we returned to Gold, or even better, switch to Bitcoin, we could live in the libertarian utopia or founding fathers wanted.

What, you wanted to talk about another inflation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Van Horn
United States
Othello
Washington
flag msg tools
I admit it, I killed her, I killed Yvette. I hated her so much
badge
Flames...flames on the side of my face...breathing...breathle...heaving breathes
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
I get that. These threads don't actually make me feel stupid -- they just highlight how vast the gap is between someone like me who reads New Scientist magazine and various popular science books and someone who has put in your level of work into the field.

What is hard for me, is that even though I can read and understand the article...I don't understand why what they are seeing proves anything. I simply don't have the background to make the nuts and bolts of their discovery meaningful to me. It's like reading a mathematical proof without understanding any of the symbols...oh...ok. E=mc^2 makes no sense at all to the lay person who has no idea what E or m or c is supposed to be...or =

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
GuidoVanHorn wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:

What is hard for me, is that even though I can read and understand the article...I don't understand why what they are seeing proves anything. I simply don't have the background to make the nuts and bolts of their discovery meaningful to me. It's like reading a mathematical proof without understanding any of the symbols...oh...ok. E=mc^2 makes no sense at all to the lay person who has no idea what E or m or c is supposed to be...or =

The press is calling this a "smoking gun" for inflation. Inflation was more theoretical before, but now they have detected gravity waves immediately after the big bang, it is strong evidence that inflation did in fact occur. That's my understanding.

Inflation is the super rapid expansion of the universe, that smoothed everything out to appear as we see it. Without inflation, it's hard to otherwise explain how the universe could appear so uniform when viewed on the large scale. (As whac3 put it, "The universe is homogeneous and isotropic on cosmological scales." Isotropic = of equal physical properties along all axes.) In case you didn't already know all this.

Here's USA Today's take, which is geared more for us laypersons
http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2014/03/17/big-bang-gravi...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

Everywhere is equally close to the Big Bang, because it wasn't something that happened in space, it created space.

At least, that's my definitely non-expert understanding.

Yeah, my watched-some-TV-show level of understanding is, people noticed that everything-that's-2x-away-from-us is moving away from us twice as fast as everything-that's-only-1x-away-from-us. If you run that film backwards, we were at the epicenter of the big bang, and so was everything else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So if inflation is factual, will that cause Ron Paul to double down on his support for the gold standard?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.