Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I have played this quite a bit in the past month, but the following might be groupthink, so I'm raising it here.

1. Winners seem to need big buildings 6 VPs or more. Ideally two of them.

2. Given that the building queue jams up when they are all low value, my group tends to grab big buildings the moment they appear. Other than the inefficiency of using an action to do it, it also prevents anyone else from getting the big building.

3. Has anyone been able to win with a big money or a lotsa smaller buildings strategy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
I have only played a handful of times but have seen several players get "stuck" with big buildings too early without building up enough cash flow/infrastructure. With big buildings early, the exponential action cost along with the lack of liquidity has slowed them down a lot - sometimes requiring them to pass multiple times just for money.

For my group, building smaller buildings and machines early and then switching to larger buildings at the right time have provided very competitive games with multiple people within a point or two at the end. The timing of this switch has often been critical - one turn too early or late and you may not be able to finish it in time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pastuzyn
United States
Midland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kneumann wrote:
I have only played a handful of times but have seen several players get "stuck" with big buildings too early without building up enough cash flow/infrastructure. With big buildings early, the exponential action cost along with the lack of liquidity has slowed them down a lot - sometimes requiring them to pass multiple times just for money.

For my group, building smaller buildings and machines early and then switching to larger buildings at the right time have provided very competitive games with multiple people within a point or two at the end. The timing of this switch has often been critical - one turn too early or late and you may not be able to finish it in time.

Sort of like Eminent Domain?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I did not mean to suggest exclusively big buildings. I was more asking about taking big buildings to prevent others from getting them, so that when you are ready, you have them and others do not.

Edit - maybe it would be better to say 'hoarding big buildings' in which case going first can be a bigger deal than it appears.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Deep Silver wrote:
Sort of like Eminent Domain?

I have not played that game so I can't make a comparison.

grandslam wrote:
I did not mean to suggest exclusively big buildings. I was more asking about taking big buildings to prevent others from getting them, so that when you are ready, you have them and others do not.

Edit - maybe it would be better to say 'hoarding big buildings' in which case going first can be a bigger deal than it appears.

Yes, I misunderstood. I do think most of the winners have had a least one big building by the end of the game. I do remember one game where the person had so much cash, they were able to finish a lot of little buildings and buy extra actions to win the game before the person in 2nd place had time to finish a large building that would have won it - but this is not the norm.

I have not looked closely at the card distribution - has it been feasible for a player to hoard the big buildings just to prevent others from trying to build them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
If there are small buildings in the row of five and the top card of the building stack is low, so players don't take one until they really have to. But again, this might be total group think.

Good point re money. There are two money strategies = one is to use the money to buy extra actions. The other is to use it to earn VPs after the end game is triggered.

Really looking forward to the new versions he already has coming or testing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.