Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R C
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am playing without the optional rule about Tobruk. The situation is this;
German player is surrounding all the adyacent hexes arround Tobruk, so the fortress is under siege. I don't understand how is possible that the Ally player is able to replace the actually sieged units from Tobruk for another different units during the redeploymemt segment of a new turn

Please I need an explanation
Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
Visit the Wargame Bootcamp guild
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb

The siege of Tobruk was predominately a land siege, the port was still open

The Royal Navy (and Royal Australian Navy) ran supplies and equipment into Tobruk during the siege, e.g. the Tobruk Ferry Service

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Like Tim said. Surprisingly the Axis were not able to interdict Tobuk that much. Historically units there were rotated now and then. For example, before Operation Crusader, the Australian Division holding the town was at one point during the siege replaced by the 70th British Division and a Brigade of tanks, all moved by sea.

In fact it was easier and more cost-effective to move units by sea to beghazi or Tobruk than to move them by road from Alexandria or Tripoli.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R C
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ok, thank you for your explanations and sorry for my ignorance about the historical background...
But playing the campaign game, I find very difficult and so much expensive to be successul in the recapture of Tobruk, forcing the players to remain in map 3 for so many turns, maybe making the game experience too static during too much time. In fact I find better to play with the optional rule,allowing the beseiging player bypass Tobruk to reach map 2 or 4. I've never try this variant...what do you think about this optional rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rcarabias wrote:
Ok, thank you for your explanations and sorry for my ignorance about the historical background...
But playing the campaign game, I find very difficult and so much expensive to be successul in the recapture of Tobruk, forcing the players to remain in map 3 for so many turns, maybe making the game experience too static during too much time. In fact I find better to play with the optional rule,allowing the beseiging player bypass Tobruk to reach map 2 or 4. I've never try this variant...what do you think about this optional rule?

Historically the Axis player stayed quite a long time around Tobruk. The optional rule is designed for players that think that the Axis
could have gone forward into Egypt with an enemy-held Tobruk on their backs. I personally think not, but it's interesting to game this possibility.

Note that it's true the Taking of Tobruk van be a long-drawn affair, but with enough supplies and using counterblows a lot, you can do it. You do need the Allies to also not intervene effectively form their own map. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R C
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Allies units in Tobruk responding an Axis counterblow marker, does those allies units lose the fortress terrain modifier?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rcarabias wrote:
Allies units in Tobruk responding an Axis counterblow marker, does those allies units lose the fortress terrain modifier?

All combat table SHIFTs terrain modifiers are lost. Other "advantages" are kept (like the Tobruk Fort changes to the combat table results).

Page 14, Counterblow Effects:

Units in Counterblow Target Hexes receive no beneficial
terrain combat shift modifiers when attacked by the
Phasing Player during that Combat Phase.

Say, since they are RESPONDING to a Counterblow, those units are attacking, right? So they do not have any terrain modifers anyway, since these apply to the defender's only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R C
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for your explanations...it's a privilege to have an official reply for our questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.