Subject: Basha's Bloodaxe - the first card I'm house banning rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Ross
Ireland
Cork
Ireland
flag msg tools
The mysteries about how we evolved should not distract us from the indisputable fact that we did evolve. -- Jerry A. Coyne
badge
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. -- E E Cummings
mb
If what you have typed is all true, that card does need to be banned. Grossly overpowered cards such as this one can and do cause strife.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Soares
Portugal
Sines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually in my gaming group we find Basha's Bloodaxe underpowered, everyone has some kind of unit removal in their deck, so normally playing Basha's bloodaxe translates into losing 1 unit, the axe and an attack by the unit(if played after the first turn).

I find Waaagh! to be more powerful than Basha's bloodaxe because of the surprise effect.

But any Orc rush deck can easily deal out 6 damage on turn 2, just play 3 spider riders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always felt that the corruption slows the attacker down enough that the opposite player can prepare for the attack in time.

whether that means a unit with counter strike or simply just putting a unit there with enough hammer to defend and kill the attacking unit with the attachment.

I'm not denying that its a good card. but I think for orcs its slower than other options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elijah Snow
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's your game, do whatever you think is best. But frankly, banning a card after it had one good moment in one game, a card you basically never see in competitive decks, instead of playing with it some more and see how good it is in the long run and how the opponent can deal with it, seems exaggerated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elijah Snow
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just consider: If you had played a Choppa on the Goblin instead of the Bloodaxe, you would have dealt the same total amount of damage over two turns. Except with the Choppa, your chances of dealing any damage are much higher because it doesn't corrupt. And it's not unique, in case you have multiple copies.

The underlying issue here might simply be that Orcs are good at rushing, and High Elves tend to need some time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elijah Snow
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Delaric wrote:
Planetary wrote:
Just consider: If you had played a Choppa on the Goblin instead of the Bloodaxe, you would have dealt the same total amount of damage over two turns. Except with the Choppa, your chances of dealing any damage are much higher because it doesn't corrupt. And it's not unique, in case you have multiple copies.

The underlying issue here might simply be that Orcs are good at rushing, and High Elves tend to need some time.

I think the underlying issue with Basha's over Choppa is that it can be ready on a Goblin Spider Riders in turn 2 for the first player and one-shot an entire zone. With Choppa the opponent gets 3 turns before it can have done 6 damage with a Fungusbrew, or 8 with Spider Riders. Still, very little time to put up one unit as a defense, let alone one that's going to soak up attack before Basha's can put up double damage on the zone.

Huh?

Bloodaxe: Play Spider Riders, play Bloodaxe, don't attack, next turn attack for 8 and burn a zone if the Spider Riders still live, the Bloodaxe wasn't removed, and the opponent has neither a development nor a unit in the zone.

Choppa: Play Spider Riders, play Choppa, attack for 4, next turn attack for 4. Burn a zone under the same conditions as above. You're much more guaranteed to deal at least 4 though, you're much less hurt if your opponent moved the unit to another zone (since it gets power, not combat damage), and Choppa even costs 1 resource less than the Bloodaxe. So you could play another Choppa, or another Spider Riders, and you're dealing 6 instead of 4, or you could build up a bit too instead of only attacking, which really isn't such a great start even if you do get to burn a zone early.

Quote:
In a tournament-level deck I would expect the opponent to have something that could deal with that unit fairly quickly but in casual play who knows, you're likely to just make your opponent frustrated instead of having fun.

I also feel like thematically it feels completely ridiculous. I give this goblin a special axe and now it has immense power to take down fortifications or whatever a capital is made of. Granted, the Warhammer world is full of nonsensical things like that but in this case it's especially ridiculous.

I have to wonder why you would try to be such an apologist for this card given the situation as I explained it in my original post. I'm not saying it's completely broken but the doubling of ALL capital damage caused by that unit has high potential to be out of control and unstoppable if the opponent is not able to kill that unit quickly. Obviously it's a bigger problem if it's in the first player's opening hand along with an appropriate unit.

So yeah, I'm questioning this card and it's effect in the game; is it worth keeping it in my home decks to learn to play around it? No, not to me. There are way more fun cards in this game that contribute to my experience more constructively.

Are you serious? You think I'm an apologist for a card? Wow.

I said it's your game, you can do whatever you want. If a card isn't fun for you, leave it out. But you could also try to improve your way of playing, because if you don't do that, you might end up having to houserule a lot of cards. I was trying to help you understand why Basha's Bloodaxe isn't a very good card, but apparently, you feel too strongly about this evil, evil piece of cardboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Delaric wrote:
On point 2, you are defending the usage of a card. There's nothing inherently offensive about being called an apologist it's just what you are doing. I'm used the term a little loosely here but:

a·pol·o·gist
noun
noun: apologist; plural noun: apologists

a person who offers an argument in defense of something controversial.

Yeah, I don't know what your issue is, but, this is either completely uncalled for, or some really special kind of pedantry. He's not being an apologist, he's saying the card kinda sucks, and he's right.

EDIT: Also, remember, the goblin of doom has to sit on the table corrupted for at least a full turn before it can do anything. So, it'll sit there during your turn, then your opponent's then back to yours. The earliest it can attack is turn 3, if you went first. It may look phenomenally powerful, but against a competent foe, keeping a 1 health doomsday clock on the table is incredibly hard. This is WHY you stock creature removal and direct damage in a well made deck... you DO stock creature removal and direct damage, right?

Find a card that will let you attack while corrupted (one of the Chaos Heroes), or let's you restore a corrupted unit mid turn (I don't think there is one, but hey), and you're off to the races, but in the mean time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm feeling charitable, so I'll accept the possibility that this is a huge misunderstanding. Quoting a dictionary definition at someone, on the internet, is incredibly rude and condescending. It's effectively saying, "you worthless peasants can't possibly understand the language we're all speaking, I don't trust you to go look it up yourself, and I can't be bothered to define it myself, so, here, bask in the glory of someone else's definition."

Calling someone an apologist? Fine, whatever. But your original post was a tantrum of "this combo breaks the game". Which is fine, because, if it's allowed to fester, it does. There are a ton of things in Invasion that can get f'ing insane if they're allowed to go unopposed for fifteen seconds.

If that was supposed to be a joke, then, sure, whatever. The humor's lost, and blame the internet.

But accusing someone else of being an apologist isn't a joke. It could be, it's not particularly offensive on its own, but it's just not funny. There's no humor.

Rather than backing out of it or saying something to the effect of "I just botched that joke", you responded with a petulant, "clearly, you just don't understand the word."

Like I said, uncalled for, and rude.

Anyway, charity's spent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Happy Squig
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
It's from a movie.
mbmbmbmb
This is, without a doubt, the most attention Basha's Bloodaxe has received in a long time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Forum Rules Reminder

We ask that you use the icon when you see antagonistic comments or any other violations of the Community Rules. This serves two purposes:

1- using the icon will bring that post to the attention of forum moderators so they can deal with it appropriately. We prefer that you not respond to the post directly. Responding invites the offender to continue, and if you respond aggressively you may end up dragging yourself down with the offender.

2- if enough users flag a post using the icon then that post will be hidden from general view, preventing others from being exposed to it.

Thanks!

Thread Locked

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.