Gamer Fergy

Burlingame
California
msg tools
Hi all,

Wanted to put a couple of rule variants out there and see what some experienced players think of these and see if anyone else wants to help me playtest them. What impact do you think these variants would have on games? Make games more challenging or too hard? Would these make for some interesting choices and variety in game play?

-Amend all blessing cards to work only on the hero's current location (i.e. Blessing of The Gods would read "Discard this card to add 1 die to a check at your location".)

-Difficulty of all banes (monsters, barriers, henchmen, and villains) encountered is modified by the number of heroes at a given location:
1 hero @ location: No modifier
2 heroes @ location: +1 Difficulty
3-4 heroes @ location: +2 Difficulty
5-6 heroes @ location: +3 Difficulty

The essence of these variants is that grouping heroes at a location would allow you to use more blessings but your party of heroes would face more dangerous banes. I'll be trying out these two rule variants together over my next game sessions. Just wanted to see if others wanted to help me playtest and/or share their thoughts on how they think these two rule varinats might impact gameplay (positively or negatively).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aurax golden chubby dragon
msg tools
One rule will partially balance the other so it sounds OK.

However the "loner" characters (merisiel, harsk) will be encouraged too much to team up with another characters (in my opinion) because not being able to avail of other heroes blessings is a big hit - a single D6 should provide as average more than the +3 difficulty so teaming up seems to be the way to go - I rather face slightly more difficult monsters than being force to rely on my personal blessings only.

I agree the game is generally easy, however simply adding more locations will normally help to increase the difficulty to an acceptable level.

For a game with perma-death, I dont fancy the idea of too difficult challenges - I have Space Hulk Death Angel for those days I want to feel the thrill of every single roll

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kratz
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do like the limited blessings - it would definitely make the game more difficult - particularly when you run into the villain unexpectedly.

I'm not so sure about the increased difficulty. From a balance standpoint, it seems workable (and the limited blessings would be necessary, otherwise you are only encouraging the party to split even more), but it also seems really anti-thematic. Why would a monster be more difficult to defeat when you have friends around? Also, it changes the balance of several of the heroes(as mentioned above, Harsk and Merisel are affected - so are Valeros and Lem). You might be creating more problems than you are solving with the latter variant. Definitely worth a try though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer Fergy

Burlingame
California
msg tools
Thanks for your input. I like the idea that parties (more than 1 hero at a location) face tougher challenges at those locations.

One other idea I had is more dangerous and variable:

-Difficulty of all banes (monsters, barriers, henchmen, and villains) encountered is modified by the number of heroes at a given location:
2 heroes @ location: +1D4-2 Difficulty
3-4 heroes @ location: +1D4 Difficulty
5-6 heroes @ location: +1D6 Difficulty

With this alternate, I was thinking that the "difficulty modifier roll" would occur at the same time as the hero rolls. This would probably increase the challenge quite a bit because you wouldn't know the bane's total difficulty until after the dice are cast. What do you think of this alternative (hard, too hard, fun, more decision-making)? Would this increase the importance of defensive items and spells since you would likely need to absorb some hits?

And here is a deadlier option to consider:
2 heroes @ location: +1D4 Difficulty
3-4 heroes @ location: +1D6 Difficulty
5-6 heroes @ location: +1D8 Difficulty

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer Fergy

Burlingame
California
msg tools
Thanks Jason. I wasn't thinking of a tougher goblin per se (for example) but more of them. Could also be one bane (henchman, villain) with a tougher weapon, armor, etc.

The logic for increased difficulty for the "party" (more than 1 hero) is to try and bring in what a DM would typically do in a RPG. A DM will typically increase the challenge faced based on the number of heroes in a party. (For example, if your hero goes off by himself, a DM might tell you that you run into 3 goblins. When you rejoin your group of other heroes later, the DM might tell you that the party faces a small group of 7-10 attacking goblins, etc)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer Fergy

Burlingame
California
msg tools
One more thing---in this more deadly world, it is highly likely our heroes might die from time to time. So, here is a proposed Resurrection House Rule:

-When your hero dies, immediately banish your full card deck. After the scenario is complete, your friends and family take your hero's body to the temple, begging the priests to resurrect him in exchange for his earthly goods and gifts.
-The priests resurrect the hero but he bears the scars of their strange ritual. Your hero permenantly loses 1 card in his maximum deck size (the lost card can not be from the hero's favored card type). Draw a new card deck using the PACG official rules on creating a deck for a hero according to the adventure path you are on.
-If your hero's maximum deck size is 12 or less when he dies, the priests can do nothing to bring him back. The hero's death is permenant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Davis
United Kingdom
Harlow
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The house rule I've been using for a while now is that blessings played on other characters always give a d4. This works well and has the beneficial effect that characters collect blessings that are mose useful for themselves, rather than the blessings being effectively a "shared pool" for the whole group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer Fergy

Burlingame
California
msg tools
Thanks John. I played through a few scenarios last night with these two house rules:

-Amend all blessing cards to work only on the hero's current location (i.e. Blessing of The Gods would read "Discard this card to add 1 die to a check at your location".)

2 heroes @ location: +1D4-2 Difficulty
3-4 heroes @ location: +1D4 Difficulty
5-6 heroes @ location: +1D6 Difficulty
*In your games you can roll the difficulty modifier before your check, or for even greater challenge, at the same time you roll your check.

Very fun, very interesting, and challenging...! I think this adds interesting aspects/considertions to movement and costs/benefits of fighting together/sharing items/playing to your hero's strengths, etc. You have to think more about the costs/benefits of fighting together or sepately. Also, turns out it makes other cards besides blessings more important while necessitating being at the same location to utilize those critical blessing cards. Of course, being at the same location comes at a cost because any banes you enounter might be extra nasty....!

I'm really curious to hear what others think if they try out these two house rules played together in their scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.