Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhand wrote:
Just picked this edition up in shrink for $9.00. Is this version still playable, or has the game evolved considerably since then?

As far as I know, there were no versions released that had issues. FFG later changed just a couple things (aside from component design), but both are arguably good or bad changes, depending on your perspective. They changed the mix of card symbols EDIT: symbols/colors, and they now tell you distribute all 12 elven cards, rather than different numbers for different player counts.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't speak to the new edition but there is nothing unplayable about the original. I have it and love it. I think the components in the original are generally regarded as better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smales
United States
Rome
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Colonel Peter Gansevoort (1749 – 1812) Defender of Ft. Stanwix, Rome, N.Y., 1777
mbmbmb
Thanks, guys--really appreciate the responses. Most of my gaming time is spent on historical war games, but the Tolkien theme has pulled me in this direction recently. This all started with LOTR:The Confrontation. I'm also reading the rules for WOTR 2nd ed and hoping to play it soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The nice thing about the older editions is that they are compatible with the existing expansions, which is not the case with the most recent FFG Silver Line edition, which changed the components, changed the cards considerably in terms of terminology and color, and shrunk everything down to a much smaller size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jpat wrote:
The nice thing about the older editions is that they are compatible with the existing expansions, which is not the case with the most recent FFG Silver Line edition, which changed the components, changed the cards considerably in terms of terminology and color, and shrunk everything down to a much smaller size.

Absolutely. If you like this game, you'll want the Friends & Foes expansion, at the least! The FFG version does not have expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, the components are cooler. You gotta love that Sauron figure! sauron

As far as I'm concerned, you bought the best edition.

War of the Ring is an amazing game and if you like war games, this will be a great experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smales
United States
Rome
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Colonel Peter Gansevoort (1749 – 1812) Defender of Ft. Stanwix, Rome, N.Y., 1777
mbmbmb
Pedrator wrote:
Also, the components are cooler. You gotta love that Sauron figure! sauron

Funny you should mention that, because I had a real epiphany when I saw that figure in the game components pics last week. I always wondered what that strange dark icon was mingled in with the other emoticons.

Johnny has arrived late to the party, but he's a fast learnerblush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.