Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyle Bailey
United States
Carrboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey! Whenever I open a scenario in the vassal module all of the pieces are there, but there is no map. I'm pretty new to vassal, but this is the first time I have run across this particular problem. Is there something more I need to do? Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NerdofDoom wrote:
Hey! Whenever I open a scenario in the vassal module all of the pieces are there, but there is no map. I'm pretty new to vassal, but this is the first time I have run across this particular problem. Is there something more I need to do? Thanks in advance.

The Vassal module is an effort to install. Follow the information carefully in the Read Me file so you put the mapboard files in the proper folder. It will tell you the path it's looking for as it tries to compile itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean halley

Oregon
msg tools
designer
mbmb
Kyle,
I tried to figure out Vassal a few times and finally gave up, so I feel your pain.

An easier option you might consider are the computer versions on AtB, Ghost Divisions, and SoS. I have all three, and they are a nice way to play the game when you lack face-to-face opponents. The computer beats me as often as I beat it.

There is also an on-line component to the games that allows you to play firefights on-line with someone else who owns the same computer version of the game. I have done that once, and it worked really well. The only problem is coordinating playing time with opponents in different time zones and countries.

These computer games might be worth your time as alternative to Vassel. They are sold by Matrix Games.

Take care,
Dean Halley
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse LeBreton
United States
Kingsford
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a poorly designed Vassal module. It took the wrong approach in file integration. Not all Vassal modules are that hard to figure out how to install. I've made them before, and was going to make a much better COH module than we currently have. I know I've been making this claim for a while now, but it is on my list of things I want to do. Trust me, I also want to play COH online and the PC version is not the way I want to play the game. For some it is fine, but I want my online version to be 100% pure COH. The changes the PC company made, I can do without.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Piepho
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree that the Vassal module doesn't work well. However, I have found that the PC versions, and I have all three, are very well done, and the company support is top notch. They play well both solo or online. I prefer the chit mode as it does give a good feel of the board game, especially when the new 3D maps are used. I also have all of the board editions, and feel that the PC conversions can give that look and feel. Now I just wish they would come out with some winter maps and Price of Honor for the PC. Btw, the biggest drawback with the PC version imho is the confusing and cumbersome map editor/scenario generator and the inability to scan or create custom game pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
damian isherwood
Canada
Courtice
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea I gave up on the vassal version of CoH, however, you should take a look at http://www.zuntzu.com they have an easy to run CoH and it's done quite well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse LeBreton
United States
Kingsford
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I did prefer the Zuntzu module for play. Pan and zoom among other things is just plain easier in Zuntzu. Feels more like your really there playing the real thing. The only downside with Zuntzu is it lacked a more advanced hidden movement feature. You had to use a second screen for that while in Vassal you can just select to hide your unit.

I made a major Zuntzu update but kept it to myself. I was about 90% done and had put a ton of time into expanding what the old module could do. I made tons of overlays so fans could modify the maps into whatever they wanted. Ponds, rivers, roads, fields, houses, and hills. Make whatever map and scenario you wanted then save the file to share with others. I also updated all the counters to the latest versions. It was a large combo module of AtB, SoS, and PoH all in one. And for those that like variable AP I had came up with a cleaver way of adding that in via AP draw decks. I'm hugely disappointed I never got the go ahead to make public.

I could update the Vassal and Zuntzu modules and give both a very slick design, but I want them to include a nice assortment of overlays so players could use the game engines of either to build and share their own home made scenarios. Anyone familiar with Tide of Irons scenario sharing system would have an ideal of what I wanted to do here. But without access to overlays, players are very limited by the stock maps, and hence that is why we have a pretty lame selection of fan based creations. I shelved my projects because in the end I felt it really wasn't worth my time to make these and just deliver a choice of only the stock scenarios for you guys. The currents modules do this well enough. I wanted to step it up and deliver something that would add life to the stagnant COH community. I know many out there including myself would love an engine that delivered a sandbox mode. Sure the PC version can do this, but go and try it. In Zuntzu you could make a new map in minutes. It's as simple as drag and dropping what you want on the map. Ahh well I'm just ranting and venting. Why? Because if this had been finished 2 years ago I could be enjoying fresh scenarios today. I'm sure many would have tried their hand at scenario creation and I would have enjoyed testing them out and selecting the best. Then of the best I would have added them into my future updates so players would not have to go looking for them. They would have been placed under an unofficial scenario listing with credits going to the scenario designer. Perhaps someday this kind of idea with get a green light.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Sibley
United Kingdom
Ramsgate
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So what or whom is stopping it from occurring? I am struggling to find a FTF opponent for COH. So I thought about seeking a Vassal opponent but it seems that it is flawed. Which is a shame as when I want to play ASL I can get a game in minutes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse LeBreton
United States
Kingsford
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I said it was the huge amount of overlay options I had added in that would not let it be given the ok. You could add rivers, roads, ponds, houses, hills, fields, and forests to whatever base map you wanted to modify to fit your homebrew scenario plans better. While I don't agree, it's Academy Games belief that such a flexible engine would hurt box sales. I totally disagree here. I believe such a flexible engine would please the fan base and grew it. If I had released this update almost 2 years ago, I firmly believe more people would be in line right now to buy Guadalcanal. At this point, they are leaving to play other games because there are not enough scenarios. Nor is there an outlet for those that really want to get creative and have some engine to port their home brew scenario to. Using Vassal to make, then save, a setup to upload would have been an ideal way to share. Since COH is so accessible, beautiful looking, and good in design, many would want to get the physical copy after being introduced via Vassal, even if the scenario options online were infinite.

After I didn't get the blessing to go forward I stopped. And instead of just releasing a plain old update that would work better then the crap out their now, I decided to shelve it because I didn't want a version that limited me to only the stock scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.