Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

BattleCON: Devastation of Indines» Forums » General

Subject: Has anyone else received defective tokens?! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J. M.
United States
San Antonio
TX
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
On this same issue, I'm curious if anyone had issues with their tokens being damaged when they were punched? Most of my tokens looked like someone literally stabbed their sides with the tip of a knife. The odd cuts were so bad that the tokens would not come out without force. What was most baffling, is the damage on the tokens is inconsistent, with some being much worse than others. I haven't the slightest idea how it could have occurred.





The top two were from the normal sheet. The bottom three show the random defects.



EDIT: Brad was gracious enough to take time in sorting this issue out with me. Can't thank him enough. I'll leave the thread up in case anyone else encounters a similar situation.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of mine had similar burrs or notches in them. (I don't remember if it was one particular sheet.)

Sounds like you're angry about it! I have fewer games than you but have seen similar damage on other games, so I was disappointed but not shocked.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Dignity. Always dignity!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had that kind of punching problem with other games, though not Devastation. However, I feel like this comment...

vveaponx wrote:
Needless to say I'm very disappointed. I'd have been happy to purchase the tokens again if need be but having someone insult my intelligence is an unacceptable response.


...is a little out of line. I fail to see how their response "insulted your intelligence." I understand their response wasn't necessarily the most helpful, but there was nothing at all impolite or insulting about it that I can see. Maybe, just maybe, there really IS nothing they can do about it. Just a thought.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
vveaponx wrote:
On this same issue, I'm curious if anyone had issues with their tokens being damaged when they were punched? Most of my tokens looked like someone literally stabbed their sides with the tip of a knife. The odd cuts were so bad that the tokens would not come out without force. What was most baffling, is the damage on the tokens is inconsistent, with some being much worse than others. I haven't the slightest idea how it could have occurred.

When I contacted customer service about this the answer was:

"Hey Jason,

This is just how the parts were punched, if it were a more daunting misprint or something i could do something about it but this I am sorry to say I can’t do anything.

-------, Level 99 Games Intern"

Really?! This explains why one sheet was perfect yet the other 5 were defective, varying in severity. I've yet to see anyone else mention this issue and do not see it on any of the video reviews. With over 200 games in my collection I have NEVER seen this problem. Needless to say I'm very disappointed. I'd have been happy to purchase the tokens again if need be but having someone insult my intelligence is an unacceptable response.


Apparently this is "just how they get punched." This was just a small sampling too. shake

...

The top two were from the normal sheet. The bottom three show the random defects.


I have this same "problem".

Not really worried about it.

As to your "intelligence being insulted", I am not picking that up from the email at all. You are requesting replacement parts (I assume since your message to lvl99 isn't included) and the unnamed intern is saying this is a pervasive "problem" throughout the entire line and they can't replace those parts due to a majority of components being affected. If the problem extended beyond what they are seeing in the entire print run (tokens were punched off center for example) they could help you.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. M.
United States
San Antonio
TX
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Elyklord wrote:
I've had that kind of punching problem with other games, though not Devastation. However, I feel like this comment...

vveaponx wrote:
Needless to say I'm very disappointed. I'd have been happy to purchase the tokens again if need be but having someone insult my intelligence is an unacceptable response.


...is a little out of line. I fail to see how their response "insulted your intelligence." I understand their response wasn't necessarily the most helpful, but there was nothing at all impolite or insulting about it that I can see. Maybe, just maybe, there really IS nothing they can do about it. Just a thought.


If that was the case then why would the rulebook explicitly state if there were any issues of this kind to contact them? It states:

"If any components are missing, damaged, defective, you can visit www.battleconnection.com to contact Level 99 Games and acquire replacements at no cost"

Clearly if there was nothing that could be done then that wouldn't have been included. So frankly your opinion of "a little out of line" matters little to me.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
As for the others in this thread, I appreciate your responses. If it is an issue that is more common then I honestly am fine with it. I was annoyed because it was never conveyed to be a problem, it reads like "Hey that's the way they came out. The problem isn't daunting enough for me to help you. Sorry."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. M.
United States
San Antonio
TX
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JBMoby wrote:
vveaponx wrote:
On this same issue, I'm curious if anyone had issues with their tokens being damaged when they were punched? Most of my tokens looked like someone literally stabbed their sides with the tip of a knife. The odd cuts were so bad that the tokens would not come out without force. What was most baffling, is the damage on the tokens is inconsistent, with some being much worse than others. I haven't the slightest idea how it could have occurred.

When I contacted customer service about this the answer was:

"Hey Jason,

This is just how the parts were punched, if it were a more daunting misprint or something i could do something about it but this I am sorry to say I can’t do anything.

-------, Level 99 Games Intern"

Really?! This explains why one sheet was perfect yet the other 5 were defective, varying in severity. I've yet to see anyone else mention this issue and do not see it on any of the video reviews. With over 200 games in my collection I have NEVER seen this problem. Needless to say I'm very disappointed. I'd have been happy to purchase the tokens again if need be but having someone insult my intelligence is an unacceptable response.


Apparently this is "just how they get punched." This was just a small sampling too. shake

...

The top two were from the normal sheet. The bottom three show the random defects.


I have this same "problem".

Not really worried about it.

As to your "intelligence being insulted", I am not picking that up from the email at all. You are requesting replacement parts (I assume since your message to lvl99 isn't included) and the unnamed intern is saying this is a pervasive "problem" throughout the entire line and they can't replace those parts due to a majority of components being affected. If the problem extended beyond what they are seeing in the entire print run (tokens were punched off center for example) they could help you.


My email was a followup to a question regarding promos, sent a week prior to the response I received today:

"Awesome! Thank you for the response. I do have one concern regarding my game and I wasn't sure if I should annotate that in my order as well. Many of my tokens were damaged in the most peculiar way at some point during manufacturing. Normally it wouldn't be a big deal but some of them had gouges out of the side into pieces. I've had all manner of component oddities but this is definitely a first for me and from the looks on the forums it isn't a common occurrence. I attached a couple of pictures (please excuse the blurriness) of this weird issue. It was randomly on most of the tokens from the characters tokens to their specific abilities. It was such a shame as these are the best quality tokens I have in my collection. Thank you again for your help with my previous question.

- Jason"
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of my Concentration counters have the same, small imperfections, actually. It doesn't affect game play in the slightest, so I haven’t bothered pointing it out before now. It would be a different story if Pendros' Environment tokens, for example, were ‘marked’ in such a way because those are placed face-down.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
vveaponx wrote:
JBMoby wrote:
vveaponx wrote:
On this same issue, I'm curious if anyone had issues with their tokens being damaged when they were punched? Most of my tokens looked like someone literally stabbed their sides with the tip of a knife. The odd cuts were so bad that the tokens would not come out without force. What was most baffling, is the damage on the tokens is inconsistent, with some being much worse than others. I haven't the slightest idea how it could have occurred.

When I contacted customer service about this the answer was:

"Hey Jason,

This is just how the parts were punched, if it were a more daunting misprint or something i could do something about it but this I am sorry to say I can’t do anything.

-------, Level 99 Games Intern"

Really?! This explains why one sheet was perfect yet the other 5 were defective, varying in severity. I've yet to see anyone else mention this issue and do not see it on any of the video reviews. With over 200 games in my collection I have NEVER seen this problem. Needless to say I'm very disappointed. I'd have been happy to purchase the tokens again if need be but having someone insult my intelligence is an unacceptable response.


Apparently this is "just how they get punched." This was just a small sampling too. shake

...

The top two were from the normal sheet. The bottom three show the random defects.


I have this same "problem".

Not really worried about it.

As to your "intelligence being insulted", I am not picking that up from the email at all. You are requesting replacement parts (I assume since your message to lvl99 isn't included) and the unnamed intern is saying this is a pervasive "problem" throughout the entire line and they can't replace those parts due to a majority of components being affected. If the problem extended beyond what they are seeing in the entire print run (tokens were punched off center for example) they could help you.


My email was a followup to a question regarding promos, sent a week prior to the response I received today:

"Awesome! Thank you for the response. I do have one concern regarding my game and I wasn't sure if I should annotate that in my order as well. Many of my tokens were damaged in the most peculiar way at some point during manufacturing. Normally it wouldn't be a big deal but some of them had gouges out of the side into pieces. I've had all manner of component oddities but this is definitely a first for me and from the looks on the forums it isn't a common occurrence. I attached a couple of pictures (please excuse the blurriness) of this weird issue. It was randomly on most of the tokens from the characters tokens to their specific abilities. It was such a shame as these are the best quality tokens I have in my collection. Thank you again for your help with my previous question.

- Jason"


Jason,

Thanks for posting the message that precipitated the response quoted in your original post.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
This space intentionally left blank.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
vveaponx wrote:
As for the others in this thread, I appreciate your responses. If it is an issue that is more common then I honestly am fine with it. I was annoyed because it was never conveyed to be a problem, it reads like "Hey that's the way they came out. The problem isn't daunting enough for me to help you. Sorry."

I would instead say it falls under the realm of "acceptable losses." Of course they didn't want those extra little slits and imperfections in the tokens, but ultimately, since the sheets turned out that way for everyone, it's not worth it to them to replace the tokens unless they were cut in a way that made it difficult to read them or use them at all. In the grand scheme of things, your ability to play the game hasn't been hindered.

That said, I did a lot more careful twisting of tokens before punching them out than I usually do, but they all turned out okay.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christy
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A few of my tokens (the concentration ones also come to mind for me, but I haven't even come close to playing all the characters so I don't know specifics beyond that) punched out roughly similar to what others have described. I sort of regarded it as an "imperfection" rather than an actual defect.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Springer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
I didn't really pay any attention to this while I was organizing/punching my box contents, but I see what you're talking about with the pictures.

I believe some of mine came out like that too. I wasn't really bothered, but if you're terribly worried about it, an x-acto knife can clear those up for you quickly enough. Although it obviously won't fix indentations.

Sorry to hear that it bothers you so much. Game plays all the same either way, though, so try to enjoy it if you can get past this. It's really frickin' good.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
vveaponx wrote:

My email was a followup to a question regarding promos, sent a week prior to the response I received today:

"Awesome! Thank you for the response. I do have one concern regarding my game and I wasn't sure if I should annotate that in my order as well. Many of my tokens were damaged in the most peculiar way at some point during manufacturing. Normally it wouldn't be a big deal but some of them had gouges out of the side into pieces. I've had all manner of component oddities but this is definitely a first for me and from the looks on the forums it isn't a common occurrence. I attached a couple of pictures (please excuse the blurriness) of this weird issue. It was randomly on most of the tokens from the characters tokens to their specific abilities. It was such a shame as these are the best quality tokens I have in my collection. Thank you again for your help with my previous question.

- Jason"


I have to admit, I'd be a little grumpy too if I sent that email and got back such a breezy response. I can't put my finger on why. Something about a mismatch in tone, maybe? It seems like if you're telling somebody you can't help them, it's wise to show that you take their complaint at least as seriously as they do (but still can't help them).

Still, you wondered if you were the only one, and it seems you're definitely not. The person you emailed might have answered this question a hundred times, or felt defensive about not being able to help, or who knows what. As Jotora said, at least it's not on counters that need to be identical for gameplay-- that would, I think, be something to insist on a replacement for.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. M.
United States
San Antonio
TX
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JBMoby wrote:
vveaponx wrote:
JBMoby wrote:
vveaponx wrote:
On this same issue, I'm curious if anyone had issues with their tokens being damaged when they were punched? Most of my tokens looked like someone literally stabbed their sides with the tip of a knife. The odd cuts were so bad that the tokens would not come out without force. What was most baffling, is the damage on the tokens is inconsistent, with some being much worse than others. I haven't the slightest idea how it could have occurred.

When I contacted customer service about this the answer was:

"Hey Jason,

This is just how the parts were punched, if it were a more daunting misprint or something i could do something about it but this I am sorry to say I can’t do anything.

-------, Level 99 Games Intern"

Really?! This explains why one sheet was perfect yet the other 5 were defective, varying in severity. I've yet to see anyone else mention this issue and do not see it on any of the video reviews. With over 200 games in my collection I have NEVER seen this problem. Needless to say I'm very disappointed. I'd have been happy to purchase the tokens again if need be but having someone insult my intelligence is an unacceptable response.


Apparently this is "just how they get punched." This was just a small sampling too. shake

...

The top two were from the normal sheet. The bottom three show the random defects.


I have this same "problem".

Not really worried about it.

As to your "intelligence being insulted", I am not picking that up from the email at all. You are requesting replacement parts (I assume since your message to lvl99 isn't included) and the unnamed intern is saying this is a pervasive "problem" throughout the entire line and they can't replace those parts due to a majority of components being affected. If the problem extended beyond what they are seeing in the entire print run (tokens were punched off center for example) they could help you.


My email was a followup to a question regarding promos, sent a week prior to the response I received today:

"Awesome! Thank you for the response. I do have one concern regarding my game and I wasn't sure if I should annotate that in my order as well. Many of my tokens were damaged in the most peculiar way at some point during manufacturing. Normally it wouldn't be a big deal but some of them had gouges out of the side into pieces. I've had all manner of component oddities but this is definitely a first for me and from the looks on the forums it isn't a common occurrence. I attached a couple of pictures (please excuse the blurriness) of this weird issue. It was randomly on most of the tokens from the characters tokens to their specific abilities. It was such a shame as these are the best quality tokens I have in my collection. Thank you again for your help with my previous question.

- Jason"


Jason,

Thanks for posting the message that precipitated the response quoted in your original post.

Not a problem at all. I didn't want to turn this into me going off at Level 99's customer service, by any means. (even though it certainly seems that waysoblue)

I was frustrated, due to my ignorance at this being a common issue, at the lack of information in my response. Gameplay wise it has no affect at all. Aesthetically it is disappointing to have some sort of issue with all of the tokens except the sheet that had the bosses. A more apt response (even if generic) stating the issue isn't an isolated one would have been much better from a customer perspective. Perhaps something for Brad to take in to alleviate potential headaches in the future.

With all of that aside, I ordered Strikers and the Extended Edition because the nit-picky aesthetics are what they are but the game is fantastic. My apologies to all who saw my post as a temper tantrum. The intent was more for my own piece of mind. If you look at my posts over the years I do not typically engage in forum rants. Thanks again for the responses everyone.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone has been there at one time or another. Its just a matter of having a keyboard in front of you at the time or have a bit of a cool down period.

It is an unfortunate imperfection, but I have seen a lot worse in my day.

I punched a copy of Genji that I received in a Tanga loot box, and the lamination on the face of half the tokens ripped/separated from the illustrated face. So half of my tokens had a shiny face and a dull face.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. M.
United States
San Antonio
TX
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JBMoby wrote:
Everyone has been there at one time or another. Its just a matter of having a keyboard in front of you at the time or have a bit of a cool down period.

It is an unfortunate imperfection, but I have seen a lot worse in my day.

I punched a copy of Genji that I received in a Tanga loot box, and the lamination on the face of half the tokens ripped/separated from the illustrated face. So half of my tokens had a shiny face and a dull face.


Regarding, Genji that's no good at all

It certainly was. Couple that email with the fact the college I'm attending wants to charge 10% of the class fee for dropping out a week before the first class. Why? You need to drop out before the "term" begins. That start date was today at 12:01am. It has been quite the day...yuk


One positive is this thread should help anyone who has the same questions I did. Hooray for clarity!laugh
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Pillow Demon
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh. Interesting. Mine came out the same way but I kinda liked the look. In Jager's case it totally matches because he has a scar on his nose

I took piano classes in college and my professor would always groan when the subject of cd recordings came up in discussion, and even at mechanically perfect live performances. She said that the flaws - from the imperceptibly minor ones to even the major ones - are what give each performance identity and personality. (This is gonna be a sudden change in subject but) I feel the same way about BattleCON's markers.

Anyway, observing the pics and my own set closely, I'd say this is a tooling issue based on the printer or machine cutting the boards. Since it's systematic (the issue is persistent and consistent in location and size), the cutter probably has a bent blade in the machine that processes this specific cardboard sheet.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
This space intentionally left blank.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Leaf Ninja wrote:
In Jager's case it totally matches because he has a scar on his nose


That is a real "glass half full" way of looking at it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Talton
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
vveaponx wrote:

"Hey Jason,

This is just how the parts were punched, if it were a more daunting misprint or something i could do something about it but this I am sorry to say I can’t do anything.

-------, Level 99 Games Intern"

Really?! This explains why one sheet was perfect yet the other 5 were defective, varying in severity. I've yet to see anyone else mention this issue and do not see it on any of the video reviews. With over 200 games in my collection I have NEVER seen this problem. Needless to say I'm very disappointed. I'd have been happy to purchase the tokens again if need be but having someone insult my intelligence is an unacceptable response.


Hey Jason,

I apologize that this wasn't handled as you had hoped. I'll be sure to forward this post to Michael as an object lesson. I'm not certain exactly what he meant by 'daunting' here (probably 'severe'), but I'm sure it wasn't intended as any kind of insult, as he's a really nice and cooperative guy in real life.

There is an issue where some tokens were misprinted (Cesar has extra threats and Kajia is missing two Insects) so he may have skimmed the message and assumed it was one of these token errors (which are 99% of the token issues we've had reports of). Regardless, this is the first report I've heard of this issue, and I hadn't given him any specific instructions on how to handle such a request (and I'm out of the office all this week), so please don't be too hard on him.

We can certainly send you some more tokens if you feel it's necessary. Please email me a request at level99games@gmail.com and I'll handle this issue for you--it looks like you just got a few sheets where the board chopper might have dulled a bit (paper wears blades down much faster than you might imagine)

Thanks,
- Brad
10 
 Thumb up
1.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Guarino-Watson
Australia
Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyokai wrote:
There is an issue where some tokens were misprinted (Cesar has extra threats and Kajia is missing two Insects) so he may have skimmed the message and assumed it was one of these token errors (which are 99% of the token issues we've had reports of).

I know, when I first saw this pop up in my subscription feed, my first thought was "Really, another one".
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. M.
United States
San Antonio
TX
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyokai wrote:
vveaponx wrote:

"Hey Jason,

This is just how the parts were punched, if it were a more daunting misprint or something i could do something about it but this I am sorry to say I can’t do anything.

-------, Level 99 Games Intern"

Really?! This explains why one sheet was perfect yet the other 5 were defective, varying in severity. I've yet to see anyone else mention this issue and do not see it on any of the video reviews. With over 200 games in my collection I have NEVER seen this problem. Needless to say I'm very disappointed. I'd have been happy to purchase the tokens again if need be but having someone insult my intelligence is an unacceptable response.


Hey Jason,

I apologize that this wasn't handled as you had hoped. I'll be sure to forward this post to Michael as an object lesson. I'm not certain exactly what he meant by 'daunting' here (probably 'severe'), but I'm sure it wasn't intended as any kind of insult, as he's a really nice and cooperative guy in real life.

There is an issue where some tokens were misprinted (Cesar has extra threats and Kajia is missing two Insects) so he may have skimmed the message and assumed it was one of these token errors (which are 99% of the token issues we've had reports of). Regardless, this is the first report I've heard of this issue, and I hadn't given him any specific instructions on how to handle such a request (and I'm out of the office all this week), so please don't be too hard on him.

We can certainly send you some more tokens if you feel it's necessary. Please email me a request at level99games@gmail.com and I'll handle this issue for you--it looks like you just got a few sheets where the board chopper might have dulled a bit (paper wears blades down much faster than you might imagine)

Thanks,
- Brad


Brad,

I'm very thankful for your response. I sent you an email as well showing my appreciation.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.