Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Miguel Melo
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

According to the internet, there appears to be 3 or 4 boardgames shops in Utrecht within 50 or so meters of each other which is quite cool.

I'm going to be there next Friday, but only shortly before 6pm, so I won't be able to visit them all to compare stock and prices (why oh why do Dutch shops close so early every day except Thursdays? devil) so I'm curious... if you had to pick ONE shop, which one should I go to?

Which one has best prices? And which one has better game diversity? (I'm undecided on what I'm going to get once there)

Many thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
How sticky is your ZOC?
mbmbmbmbmb
My choice would be Never-Never-land and the Joker, NNL because I know the owner better (he's about my age) where, the Joker is an old(ish) shop (with an owner about 20years older) and sometimes a bit more busy because of the fact that he sells more Magic.
the opening times are quite normal for shops that don't have a large number of employees (NNL is run by the owner and his wife/girlfriend)) and because of the size there's not a lot of gaming going on (both shops are small) so no real need to open up for more costs that might not be recovered.

the Joker has a lot of second hand games and a better diversity, prices are about the same I guess.

and welcome to Utrecht, it's a real nice city I hope you'll ejoy your brief visit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Melo
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tip - I've actually been to Utrecht last year, it is indeed a lovely city!

Last time I was there, I wandered into Fantasy Hobby Games (where I bought an Ascension game) and thought it was a really nice shop (any thoughts on this one?). Looking at google maps, both the Joker and NNL seems to be just across the canal from FHG, so I should be able to find them all quite easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaap K
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Joker is actually opened till midnight on Thursday, Friday and Saturday to play games.

Have fun in Utrecht!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adriaan
Netherlands
Zeist
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NNL sells dutch-only games though, with a few exceptions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Melo
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ppaddo wrote:

Ah... alas, that's a bit of a deal breaker for me. My Dutch is, essentially, non-existant...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
The Joker has 2 owners, actually. They're both very kind, totally focused gaming and customer service. Downstairs (next to the canal) there are tables and benches. Often people play Magic there, but they're meant for trying out the games they sell.

I'm not sure about prices of the Joker or the other 3 (there are 4 now?!), I can't imagine they differ much. I do know the Joker tries to focus on 'originals', so where most game shops would sell Catan in Dutch, the Joker would sell it in German.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
ppaddo wrote:

That would be quite a deviation from when I was there last (a year or two ago). The store then also sold international editions which contained Dutch rules... So best to check for language independence.

In my memory, the two shops complemented each other beautifully. TJ was for the weird and odd products ('outside top-500'), while NNL was for the regular games ('in the top-500'). Both stores have a large selection: TJ has a large used games selection, and I remember that many years ago I even spotted a lonely copy of Antiquity on a top shelf. That copy has 'vanished' long since, though meeple. NNJ at some point had Icehouse stashes, which is quite gamey stuff, so to speak. But yes, if you make a purchase at NNJ, you will get the edition containing the Dutch rules

Basically the shops are so close to each other that I never visit one without visiting the other. I hadn't known that there was a third game store across the canal, though... Interesting meeple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adriaan
Netherlands
Zeist
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joker, Nevernever, Labyrinth and Subcultures makes 4, and all within 200m distance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robbin van biljouw
Netherlands
den oever
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As i recall correctly, when i was there last year, subcultures sells english games too. It is downstairs, along the canal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arno van der Kwast
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robbin 1 wrote:
As i recall correctly, when i was there last year, subcultures sells english games too. It is downstairs, along the canal.

Correct. http://www.subcultures.nl/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Melo
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, man... I got my work cut out visiting all those shops. I'll try to make it on Thursday instead to have more time to look around that lot.

It's impressive that over in Portugal, where I'm from, it's so difficult to find a half-decent boardgame shop in ALL OF LISBON and you guys have 4 within 100 or so meters...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Only in Utrecht, though; and that they are so close to each other is a clear aberration in any universe. In Amsterdam there are two shops only, and they are not close to each other; in the Hague there are two; in Rotterdam there is not a single one (to my knowledge).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer C
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cymric wrote:
Only in Utrecht, though; and that they are so close to each other is a clear aberration in any universe. In Amsterdam there are two shops only, and they are not close to each other; in the Hague there are two; in Rotterdam there is not a single one (to my knowledge).

There is a second shop in Amsterdam? I only know of De Gamekeeper.

Also, I clearly need to make a trip to Utrecht.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Het Paard Schaak & Go in the Haarlemmerstraat, near the Haarlemmerplein, carries a big collection too.

Before they were shut down by weird bankrupty schemes, Scheltema carried a few games; and there is a store devoted to sports on the Ceintuurbaan, near the Ferdinand Bolstraat (the one which is in a state of semi-permanent construction on the new Noord-Zuidlijn) which has a small collection on sale. I don't count these two as proper game stores, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adriaan
Netherlands
Zeist
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rotterdam has Gamers of the West, but it's near Rotterdam Blaak station

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Cott
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Never Never Land definitely has both Dutch and English games in stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Melo
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to let everyone know, I ended up going looking for games in Utrecht today. Visited Fantasy Hobby Games, the Joker and NeverNeverLand (Sub Culture was already closed ). Really nice people in all of them.

After a lot of deliberation ended up buying Small World and 7 Wonders in NNL. Other games also caught my eye, but since I want to get my kids into board games, I opted for these faster, non-language dependent games. Hope they (and I) like them

Many thanks for all the tips!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Adultman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.jasonbegy.com
badge
http://www.jasonbegy.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Utrecht is the best place in the world. I want to retire there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ege Tunca
Turkey
istanbul
flag msg tools
Come to the dark side we got cookies.
mbmbmbmbmb
any other stores other than Gamers of the West in Rotterdam that you guys know of?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arno van der Kwast
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a Games Workshop, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yi-Chou Kung
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys

I'm visiting Utrecht next week,
and I've known there are
Neverneverland, The Joker, Subcultures and Fantasy Hobby in Utrecht.

I just wondering if there are some other new board game shop ?
or some shops in neighboring cities(about 30-min. bus distance)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arnhem is 35 min away by train and it has two stores: Vendetta (just opened a few weeks ago, relatively small and no webshop yet) and De Dobbelsteen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yi-Chou Kung
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the_vinman wrote:
Arnhem is 35 min away by train and it has two stores: Vendetta (just opened a few weeks ago, relatively small and no webshop yet) and De Dobbelsteen.

Thanks Vincent
I'll check them out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adriaan
Netherlands
Zeist
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Games Workshop recently opened up shop in Utrecht if that's your thing. I believe they are in the 'zakkendragersteeg'

Fantasy hobby is called 't Lab nowadays, it's located on the opposite site of the Joker.

Vendetta also has a gamecenter in Hilversum , which is around 30 min with the bus/train
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.