Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Sapp
United States
Roseville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
It felt cheesy to be doing this, so I feel like I may have gone about it wrong and wanted to check here.

So, I set up a 4x6 with just a trap for a quick solo game. I chose the Apprentice and the Acolyte just to try a couple of new characters (I loved them both.) I rolled the Avatar of Winter trap. I thought "Oh crap, I don't have my Brigand to disable this thing." Then I found out that it's as much of an enemy as it is a trap.

Long story short, I used the Apprentice to cast Glacier's Grip on the poor sod to double his MP and reduce his TN while I blasted him with ranged attacks outside of 4+ to avoid his Icy Grave special attack. I didn't touch the torches, so his MP stayed at .5, and since you can't move .5 I rounded it down to 0.

TL;DR- I pinned AoW with Glacier's Grip, didn't touch the torches and spammed ranged attacks of 4 or greater to avoid his Icy Grave Attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rancourt
Canada
quebec
quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure you should have round up his movement since .01 to .49 round down to 0 and .5 to .99 round up to 1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Sapp
United States
Roseville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Then there would have been literally no effect on his movement. My thinking was that he was already a slower enemy (faster if you activate the torches) with 1 MP, so being slow and clumsy, would do even worse on the ice.

My thinking for next would probably be "He's a creature of the ice, so his feet freeze to the spot, making him even more surefooted." This would avoid the kind of hollow feeling I got from playing that encounter the way that I did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tosch
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well the rules for Hero movement is rounded up. Also if you only have 1 movement you can't move caustiously (normally 1/2).

Of course monsters arn't Heroes... but I would still round up unless its half of 1. That seems conistant with the creators reasoning that less than 1 movement is 0.

Of course it is a story game... If you play it more for the story, then by all means, make up reasonable house rules like yours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.