6 Posts

Elder Sign» Forums » Rules

Subject: Discarding monster with locked dice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sergei Chavo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The dice was been locked with monster on other world card. Next mythos card says me to discard all other world cards at midnight. What happens with dice if i cant freeing it until midnight?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"#1: If an Adventure has a die locked and the Adventure is failed against Shudde (discard Adventure, don't replace), what happens to the locked die? Does it get unlocked or removed from the game for good?

The die becomes unlocked. When Shudde M’ell discards an Adventure card, that card is considered resolved and the locked die is freed."

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/12984947#12984947

I would say applies to monsters as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
I'm not sure about this either. Today I've had a situation in which a monster marker with the yellow die locked on it was discarded after I played a card that allowed me to do so. Both the other player and me considered the yellow die freed in this particular game, but I was not entirely sure if that was correct.

I have checked the rules to find anything about this. I must say that this is a typical FFG issue again, because the rules only say that a die is only freed if a monster that it's on is DEFEATED. Discarding a monster is not the same as defeating it, otherwise you would keep it as a trophy, which is not the case. We played it as being discarded back into the bag and the die being freed, but there is no concrete wording on it. The only reference I can find is that locked dice are lost and removed from the game, thus not freed, if the Ancient One awakens. But it is not clear if this is the only specific case for that to happen.

I think more experienced players can treat this situation as an advanced rule in which a monster must be defeated to free a die and that a monster that disappears in another way takes the die with him (so, only explicitly defeating it would free a die).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall
United States
Dalton
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
0616william wrote:
I'm not sure about this either. Today I've had a situation in which a monster marker with the yellow die locked on it was discarded after I played a card that allowed me to do so. Both the other player and me considered the yellow die freed in this particular game, but I was not entirely sure if that was correct.

I have checked the rules to find anything about this. I must say that this is a typical FFG issue again, because the rules only say that a die is only freed if a monster that it's on is DEFEATED. Discarding a monster is not the same as defeating it, otherwise you would keep it as a trophy, which is not the case. We played it as being discarded back into the bag and the die being freed, but there is no concrete wording on it. The only reference I can find is that locked dice are lost and removed from the game, thus not freed, if the Ancient One awakens. But it is not clear if this is the only specific case for that to happen.

I think more experienced players can treat this situation as an advanced rule in which a monster must be defeated to free a die and that a monster that disappears in another way takes the die with him (so, only explicitly defeating it would free a die).

If you discarded the monster via a spell then the die is freed. The reason for the difference in wording is because other effects specifically want you to put monsters back into the cup, rather than claim them as trophies. The Ancient One is the only time when a die can be permanently lost (other than a die locked by the Mythos card).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I agree with Rauli above: the answer that applies to discarding an Adventure (locked dice are not lost) should also apply to monsters.

(I didn't like that rule as applied to Shudde M'ell, but I think discarding a monster with a spell or item should certainly not permanently lose you any dice locked on that monster!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
I have always played it like that as well, but I was beginning to doubt when I found a section in the 'Freeing Locked dice' chapter of the rules on page 12 of the basic rulebook that read:
"If a die is locked by a monster marker, a player must defeat the monster to free it (see 'Monsters' on page 16)"
If a monster marker actually is supposed to work the same as adventure and other world cards' tasks and it doesn't make any difference at all, then I find it strange to see that they are mentioned in separate sentences. That gives me the idea that monster markers should be treated a little bit different from adventure and other world cards.

Oh well, its FFG-language. I think it would be more useful to say "1 and 2 are numbers." than "1 is a number. 2 is also a number." (if you know what I mean). But that's just my thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.